• 2 Post By trishka
  • 1 Post By harley
  • 1 Post By beckie.c

Thread: Why?

OgresWife
    Trading Score
    52 (100%)

Am I over reacting in my WTF here?

We're apartment hunting, I found an ad offering a basement apartment, 2 bedroom, with no kitchen (but they're building one ASAP) and a half bath (they're building a full one) but you can run upstairs to they're kitchen and full bathroom.........for $800 a month, all inclusive including meals for an extra fee. One might as well stay at home with ones parents.......
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OgresWife View Post

We're apartment hunting, I found an ad offering a basement apartment, 2 bedroom, with no kitchen (but they're building one ASAP) and a half bath (they're building a full one) but you can run upstairs to they're kitchen and full bathroom.........for $800 a month, all inclusive including meals for an extra fee. One might as well stay at home with ones parents.......
    Probably a good deal for a college student needing to be close to a local school.
    Candini and toronto166 like this.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

It's a good thing you're not looking in the GTA. You can't even get a bachelor apt for $800. A 2 bedroom will run you close to a grand.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I don't see the problem with that - except for wanting a kitchen if you want to be self-contained.

My son is renting a basement bedroom and a bathroom with shower in a friend's house, he uses their kitchen and living room.

As for staying home with parents - he felt it was time to fly, and I understood that.
    torontogal12 and toronto166 like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by OgresWife View Post

They should let you make your own meals.
    Until the kitchen and bathroom is completed, the rent should not be the full price, since the tenants are inconvenienced and work/dust will be in their residence
    toronto166 and terry2144 like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

I wouldn't live in a place like that, I lived in someone's basement once, shared a bathroom and kitchen with the landlord.

Never again.

This was over 10 years ago and the rent was only $375 a month for a college student so it was worth it at the time. It was not worth the frustration to live there any longer than I had to. The landlord was set in her own ways, I couldn't load the dishwasher right, if I didn't wash my dishes within 10 mins of eating she'd be on my butt. Little things like that.

The last couple months of that term I gave up on using her kitchen and basically only ate fast food/shelf stable food that could be kept in my room in the basement because I was so stressed from school, I didn't want the extra stress from the landlord.

(This was also the landlord that I mentioned in my other thread in the rants forums, she was so cheap with the heat, she'd set it 18 degree upstairs, of course every knows that basements are always colder but she'd refuse to turn up the heat for me and I'd be stuck wearing a winter coat while I tried to do school work.)

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree that you shouldn't have to pay full price until the renovations are completed. Also, I can only speak to Ontario here, but if you share a bathroom or a kitchen with your landlord, your living arrangement is not covered under the Residential Tenancies Act. You have no recourse through the landlord and tenant board.
    DianneS and toronto166 like this.

Harley
    Trading Score
    43 (100%)

I wouldn't call that an apartment. More like room for rent. Unless you know the landlords really well you are probably just going to end up with a huge headache because they will have their way of doing things because it is their house.
    toronto166 likes this.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I would say this is more room & board, not an actual rental (at least not yet, maybe they are trying to finance the renovation to turn it into a full rental?). DB & DH both lived like this when they were away at school for short periods of time over the last couple of years. You would need the right type of landlord because this would definitely drive a person crazy.
    Last edited by beckie.c; Tue, May 12th, 2015 at 01:52 PM.
    toronto166 likes this.

Thread Information