• 5 Post By Patty Smyth
  • 1 Post By beachdown
  • 3 Post By FallenPixels
  • 1 Post By beachdown

Thread: Tolerance in Canada....A Myth

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We compare ourselves to our close neighbour (the big bad USA), but truth be told when you cast the net wider to include other countries, Canada is far from being tolerant. Toronto, Montreal, Vancouver might be diverse, it doesn't mean people actually get on, or that the "majority" care for the "minority". If it's not race, it's sexual orientation as in the case below...personally, if I was the boss at this bus company, I'll wait for the driver to officially say he won't drive, then fire him. Then he will have to go tell the EI office why he is unemployed

Rainbow-flag clad Calgary Transit bus has driver threatening to quit

- Jesse Rau, who has worked for Calgary Transit as a driver for about a year, says he's a Christian and can't support homosexuality.
    Name:  calgary-gay-pride-bus.jpg
Views: 239
Size:  26.0 KB

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...quit-1.3207061
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    macw1960 likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

As long as there are ideologies that teach people that they are above others, there will never be tolerance.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As a Christian myself, I don't concur with Mr Rau, and think he is completely out to lunch on this one. As for the ideologies about "being above others", race is a typical example of this issue
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I would have an issue if he refused to let a gay person (or anyone for tolerance reasons) ride the bus he was driving, but they have non-flag buses, I don't even know why this is news.

There is a driver in my city who hates driving our newer buses because they have less space for strollers/walkers/shopping carts and is always driving one of the older buses. Not a tolerance issue, but he is requesting a different bus.

As far as I am concerned, tolerance is not about believing in something yourself (and promoting it in the case of the bus driver) but not stopping others going about their lives as a result of your views.

Personally, I am more offended by buses wrapped in almost naked girls for a local tanning salon or the nasty one showing bad teeth than a Pride bus
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I guess the owners of the tanning salons are guilty of that one, but who is the majority of customers to tanning salons? I think you left out Magic Mike like posters from your list of what you don't like seeing...just saying

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I would have an issue if he refused to let a gay person (or anyone for tolerance reasons) ride the bus he was driving, but they have non-flag buses, I don't even know why this is news.

There is a driver in my city who hates driving our newer buses because they have less space for strollers/walkers/shopping carts and is always driving one of the older buses. Not a tolerance issue, but he is requesting a different bus.

As far as I am concerned, tolerance is not about believing in something yourself (and promoting it in the case of the bus driver) but not stopping others going about their lives as a result of your views.

Personally, I am more offended by buses wrapped in almost naked girls for a local tanning salon or the nasty one showing bad teeth than a Pride bus
    macw1960 likes this.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Ah...I see they fired him. I wonder what his stance would be on refugees coming to Canada?

A transit driver who’s been fired amid a controversy over Calgary’s Pride bus says he wasn’t alone in his reluctance to take the wheel of the rainbow-wrapped vehicle.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/calgary-bus-driver-says-he-wasnt-alone-in-his-opposition-to-pride-bus/article26346876/

Name:  calgary-transit-bus-driver-fired-over-pride-controversy.png
Views: 79
Size:  602.5 KB

Thread Information