User Tag List

Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast
Like Tree5061Likes

Thread: October 2015 Frugal chatter

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Avon: Prayers for your cousins family.
    Nat: how time flies & what a smile.
    Sweet Sparrow: Hopefully there is a break in the rain today. I was soaked by the time I made it in this morning.
    For those of you that are interested in the shoebox donation here is the link & you can find a drop off location in many places. I can find 6 churches in my area that will send them. http://www.samaritanspurse.ca/operat...mas-child.aspx
    One of my aunts is a missionary and this is the mission she "works". The one thing I try to do is make sure its all North American made. There is a lot of irony in sending cheap made in sweat shop crap when often the child or a parent works in one of these places.
    Since we are going to Cuba at Christmas I may just take stuff with me as I have heard this is appreciated.
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 5 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    For uniforms, I think we're stuck with getting the entire outfit. The blouses have rounded collars and there's nowhere else to buy those. Everything else like jumpers, cardigans, jackets, etc., have the school crest on them. The only unisex items are the gym uniforms, which also have the school logo. I think it'll be pretty expensive, but no more buses, and a shorter commute home for at least one year, and then every summer for their summer program.
    Ours have the school emblem on then too. I just got lucky. Kids grow so you may be able to find some like new used for less. Good luck!

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    For uniforms, I think we're stuck with getting the entire outfit. The blouses have rounded collars and there's nowhere else to buy those. Everything else like jumpers, cardigans, jackets, etc., have the school crest on them. The only unisex items are the gym uniforms, which also have the school logo. I think it'll be pretty expensive, but no more buses, and a shorter commute home for at least one year, and then every summer for their summer program.
    Is there any way to find out when a used uniform sale might be held (private school blog/forum/news bulletin-maybe a parent in the know can tell you)? I'm sure there are families parting with smaller uniforms or ones no longer needed if their students have had growth spurts or finished with school/graduated.

In Hamilton, I'm aware there is a sale for the separate school board families who might not be willing/cannot afford full retail cost uniforms from the official vendor.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    @coupon girl have fun doing the shoe box, read the dos and don'ts carefully as there are quite a few items that are not allowed. Our family did this for many years but stopped because they wanted $12 for shipping on top of the shoe box contents. I believe it was Christian (something I can't recall).
    The ones we filled were from Samaritans Purse. Our church ( at that time ) donated 100's of them! Our family alone did over 20 boxes. My 3 kids each organized their own boxes, and we tried to hit all ages and the boy/girl categories. Sure got more challenging to pack a box for the early teen ages. Just imagine if I had known about coupons and freebies back then? I would have saved a bundle.

there are quite a few videos on line showing kids treasuring their shoebox of gifts. There are many " how to " fill a box and other info. Their smiles can remind us all about how much we all have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v3fLKGHdvr4
    Last edited by walkonby; Wed, Oct 28th, 2015 at 12:48 PM. Reason: just added 1 of the many Operation Christmas Child videos
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 4 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

@sweet sparrow uniforms are expensive, since I do laundry everyday my son has 3 short sleeve tops, 1 hoodie and 3 pairs of pants. I would post and ad looking for used if you can find some it would be atleast 1/2 price. Tshirts that my son wears are $35 + tx and pants are $50 + 12 to hem so it quickly adds up.
    @Frugalbigmama the GT ground beef is the best in the tube you can get. It's so soft (hard to handle) but the meat is so soft patties are like big man patties...yummy.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Avon: Prayers for your cousins family.
    Nat: how time flies & what a smile.
    Sweet Sparrow: Hopefully there is a break in the rain today. I was soaked by the time I made it in this morning.
    For those of you that are interested in the shoebox donation here is the link & you can find a drop off location in many places. I can find 6 churches in my area that will send them. http://www.samaritanspurse.ca/operat...mas-child.aspx
    One of my aunts is a missionary and this is the mission she "works". The one thing I try to do is make sure its all North American made. There is a lot of irony in sending cheap made in sweat shop crap when often the child or a parent works in one of these places.
    Since we are going to Cuba at Christmas I may just take stuff with me as I have heard this is appreciated.
    This is the one that my son's school used to do. They haven't done it in 4 years. There was a list of dos and don'ts and asking for $13 donation for shipping costs. After they raised the shipping prices we stopped doing it. And started purchasing something from the angel tree in Walmart stores. The angel trees in walmarts are for children under children's aid society's care. I called children's aid society and asked my pjs, socks, shirts etc and they said that it's because the Christmas gifts and Santa were already taken care of but some clothes for the kids would be greatly appreciated.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

lol!! I JUST remembered Veggie Tales! This was among the Samaritan Purse ( Operation Christmas Child ) videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J7cdE0KZ8WI

We have probably every VHS tape they ever made ( and no VCR anymore....lol) and laughed all the time with the kids over these.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

not to bring anyone down or discourage giving to children but Samiritan's purse employee (the president) made FORBEs I know this not unheard of when it comes to charities, etc especially when they are profitable and not non-profit BUT I thought people might find this interesting (the article is a few years old so he probably got a raise or 2 along the way).

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2010/14/...se_CH0145.html

http://www.charityintelligence.ca/ch...s-purse-canada

Ciel, YOU AND ME and SassyAshley like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Just purchased 6 cans of paint! So the basement and diningroom are being re-painted! I may go back for 2 more for my bedroom. It is a chocolate brown and I love it but if I decide to sell and move next year it should be painted a lighter colour. Decisions!
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    There is a lot of irony in sending cheap made in sweat shop crap when often the child or a parent works in one of these places.
    I've always wondered about that. What if the child is unimpressed with their gift because they've made it or something similar all year? One video I saw of Chinese children receiving them was located in the mountainous areas so maybe toys are available to buy, but their parents can't afford non-essentials often.

I had to include this video about OCC because I found it hilarious.

This is the one that my son's school used to do. They haven't done it in 4 years. There was a list of dos and don'ts and asking for $13 donation for shipping costs.
    That's crazy! $7 is the maximum they ask for and some of the boxes weigh a ton! I wish Canada Post would ship for $7, so I can't imagine how they can cover costs. You can donate locally and they don't require $13. That's the cost of the entire gift!

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

I`ve never done the shoe box thing but for the last 5 years I`ve done the angel tree either at Zehrs or Walmart.
    @jasperandchar Good luck with your surgery tomorrow.
    @Natalka Happy birthday to Milan. He looks so cute in that pic.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I have a head cold, if I start to sneeze or cough I need to notify the hospital and my surgery will need to be rescheduled.

Dh is picking up some hydrasense on his way home.

Does anyone have a quick fix remedy....please????? ginger etc???

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

My teen has a great sense of humour. (But can be a moody teen too- Darn puberty!!)
    Anyway I arranged for him to get a ride to work today for 4. 2 mins to 4 he calls me to say he messed up and doesn't work till 5. I said sorry, ask if someone wants to leave early? or just tough it out and lesson learned to confirm the schedule. He says he will hang out there. So I text him telling him to go across the street to Tim Hortons for free Wi-Fi and finish his homework. He texts me back saying " I hacks wifi here" So I reply " Should I be proud? Ok then finish it and be done with it " He then replys "Have* not hacked lol "

Darn texting lol
    Natalka, Crochetlady, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I have a head cold, if I start to sneeze or cough I need to notify the hospital and my surgery will need to be rescheduled.

Dh is picking up some hydrasense on his way home.

Does anyone have a quick fix remedy....please????? ginger etc???
    Hugs. not sure of any quick fixes for head colds. My mom seems to get them all the time and they last forever.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Frugalbigmama View Post
    Just purchased 6 cans of paint! So the basement and diningroom are being re-painted! I may go back for 2 more for my bedroom. It is a chocolate brown and I love it but if I decide to sell and move next year it should be painted a lighter colour. Decisions!
    You can get the lighter beiges on sale when the time comes to decide.
    Go for what you love-you'll enjoy it more.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 43 of 49 FirstFirst ... 33 41 42 43 44 45 ... LastLast

Thread Information