• 5 Post By lorken
  • 3 Post By anisa
  • 3 Post By anisa
  • 3 Post By jasperandchar

Thread: My baby, the pedestrian

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Years ago, I posted about being honked at while pregnant and trying to cross a large intersection in the summer.
    http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/355403-...o-slow-canada/

I'm still getting honked at but now poor LO thinks she's getting honked at. It's a loud noise for a wee toddler and she's told me she doesn't want cars to honk at her anymore.

Last week, we were trying to cross the street in a residential area (large street, five lanes). I pressed the button, waited for the pedestrian signal and started crossing. A car waiting to turn right stopped for us, but the person behind him honked. LO got distressed that she got honked at again. This is a regular occurrence and every time she hears a horn, she thinks someone is angry with her. I try to explain each time, but what has gotten into drivers that they think other drivers are just pylons and stop in traffic for no reason?

I try not to get annoyed but it bothers me sometimes. Okay, all the time.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Good rant, sparrow, and I have to agree with you. I can't count the amount of times that I've stopped for a pedestrian and gotten honked at. Worse though, is when I watch in my rear view mirror and the car behind me doesn't seem to be slowing down. Hopefully your little one will come to understand that no one is honking at her

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yep, sympathize with your LO really gets my backup when people honk and they don't realize you are waiting for a pedestrian. This happened to me the other day when waiting for a lady with a baby in a stroller, hope they felt like a jerk when they finally realized it. It happens a lot when you drive a pickup and person behind can't see over your hood or just doesn't plain think.
    Also had someone honk at me at a red light, I was going straight and they were turning right, so silly.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Tue, Feb 9th, 2016 at 01:47 PM.
    Angela273 and macw1960 like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

aww, your poor kidlet.

My first instinct is to tell you to to teach her to give them the finger lol. that would be wrong tho
    Angela273, macw1960 and kidsteph like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

@anisa: That's a good idea. She does give "the finger" of sorts. She wags her index finger back and forth like this: and says "no thank you". She does it to the kids at daycare if they hit, push, or does something she doesn't like.

Unfortunately, it was the car behind the car waiting for her, but telling her to wave her finger at those that honk might give her a "voice" and make her feel better.

@GoJays and @seylz_gurl: Thank you for stopping.

This was a small sedan and the honking car was a large pick up. I'm sure he would have seen us over the small car and I dressed LO in a bright pink coat and I was wearing a light blue jacket with reflective strips for this darker weather. Or, he could just be totally not looking. Who does that at an intersection with a high school?

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

oh grrr! and phooey to those rude and impatient drivers honking!! I DID remember that original rant of your btw!!
    Angela273, macw1960 and dededi like this.

babies teach us acceptance

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    ... Who does that at an intersection with a high school? ...
    Idiots on cellphones, that's who.
    anisa, Angela273, GoJays and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Oh, the finger wag is even better. being shamed by a little one, can't get better than that lol.

I hate people who are pushy in their vehicles, while pedestrians who are out there braving the elements are risking their lives around some drivers.

I'm constantly scolding my hubby for nudging forward too impatiently while people are crossing :/
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lorken View Post
    Idiots on cellphones, that's who.
    It is appalling how many people refuse to invest in a $10-$20 gizmo to operate their phones hands free around where I live.

Yes we see you looking at your crotch... even with your dark tinted windows!
    R

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

ah your poor dear, I like the finger wag it's cute, you should tell her "patience is a virtue" or something like that and use an example like taking turns when going to the park and going on the slide, some kids push and bump in front of the line which is not nice and the people that are honking are like the impatient kids that don't want to wait their turn they want to jump to the front of the line....still won't solve the honking but atleast she might understand they are not upset with her.
    Last edited by jasperandchar; Tue, Feb 9th, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Thread Information