User Tag List

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: Decluttering in 2016!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Which book is good on sentimental items?
    Arg, where did my link go? lol

Let's try this again

http://www.theminimalists.com/sentimental/
    seylz_gurl and Linda Evans like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Made great progress this weekend. Finance spent all Sunday in the basement, moving, organizing, sorting. Getting it ready so we can insulate. I filled another box to go which I will drop off this week. A few more baby steps in the right direction!
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^^thnx great link! got rid of some toys, books I've already read and things I don't wear anymore!
    macw1960 likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    It sounds corny but she really helped me. Another tip she has is do it all at once, and yes, I think you have to tackle the whole home at once to be successful. Pull out all the papers from everywhere and have at them, rather than do just the papers in one room, for example.

I found Konmarie to be an excellent cheerleader and I really fixed the place up as I read the book. When I finished it I gave it away so I wouldn't have the clutter lol. But now I am in maintenance mode.
    I wouldn't have problems with that but Mr P would , he hates mess unless it's his vitally important stuff which never ever ever has to be moved...
    macw1960 likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Decluttering is a subject close to my heart. Living in this house for 8 years has involved major bouts of decluttering. You see, we bought MIL's house from the estate when she passed away, and even though my SILs got rid of a lot of stuff, there was a lot left behind, a good chunk of junk that belonged to hubby.

Anyone notice how it comes in waves related to the seasons? It's no coincidence that with Spring coming we're starting to see magazine articles about cleaning and decluttering, along with store sales on supplies. I've seen this in myself when heading to the basement on a dark January night with the intent to declutter, that I'd only stand there overwhelmed and unable to make one single decision. Lo and behold, one month later, I'm able to go in there and tackle a good chunk.
    macw1960 and Darth Penguin like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

For me to get rid of things, it has to be effortless. I like the idea of making money off my cast-offs, but frankly, I don't find the investment in time worth the money I'd get, along with having to handle these items some more. You know what I mean? I'll come across a stack of magazines that I completely forgot I have, but the minute I see it, I decide it's a keeper. Until the next time I come across it and decide it's a keeper. I have magazines dating back form the early 1990s that I still do this with.

Anyhoo, I now keep a box meant for giveways in my basement. Every time I come across something that's no longer needed, I put it in the box. And on "treasure weekend", the box hits the curb. Treasure weekend are two weekends a year that our city allows us to put what we don't want to the curb for anyone to pick up. They work. It's unbelievable what people will take because it's free.

Someone was asking about keeping empty boxes appliances come in? Because I have the room, I keep them. Putting them in the box makes them easier to give away. And of they happen to be broken, some people are handy enough to fix them and are glad to get them for free.
    seylz_gurl and macw1960 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Wimbly, if your fiance is like my husband, you'll have to take matters into your hands and start yourself. My husband ended up in the hospital last year, and while he was there, I got so frustrated with the state of his office that I went in there and gutted it of the clutter. Just gutted it. He had pieces of papers for appointments dating back to 2008. He kept all the ATM receipts for withdrawals from 2010. He had two complete sets of Game of Thrones even though he has the same set on his kindle as well. Boxes that I personally packed when we moved to this house had been untouched. A Rubbermaid container meant to store winter closes (or summer) had one sweatshirt. And on, and on, I came across old stuff that should have been thrown away because they weren't useful anymore.

To exact my revenge, I took pictures before and after, and showed him that evening. A look of panic came across his face and before he started raging, I told him: "Honey, I didn't get rid of anything. Yet. If you need something back, just tell me and I'll put it back."

And you know what? By the time he came home, there was not one thing that I took away that he wanted back. As long as he doesn't lay eyes on something, he doesn't remember he has it.
    macw1960 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I've read Marie Kondo's Art of Decluttering and didn't like it. The majority of her book talks about clothes and books. An easy target, even now in this age of ebooks and computers. Then there's a mantra "keep things that bring you joy" is way too simple and new age for me. And I won't even get into her idea that a pair of socks works hard and needs to be thanked before being put away.

Someone mentionned Flylady? That's how I got started with getting my house under control (excepting the clutter). I was getting the emails, but you can also go on her website, and get the same information. Her idea of a "control book" was invaluable to me in setting up routines. She also had one or two books, one of them entitled "Shining Your Sink". I don't remember them being overly religious.

A less religious alternative is "Un your Habitat", but it's essentially the same thing with daily challenges and routines.
    Last edited by blueeyetea; Wed, Feb 17th, 2016 at 10:13 AM.
    macw1960 likes this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

He's the same ways. Receipts. Gum wrappers. You name it, he has it stuffed in a box somewhere. I've thought about slowly chucking things that I know for sure are junk and just not making a big deal of it. It's garbage. He knows its garbage. But doesn't want anyone doing it but him (but he won't lol). I think little by little I'll make a few things "disappear". I would never throw out his things, I'm taking literal garbage that he has stuffed in totes and boxes lol

Quote Originally Posted by blueeyetea View Post
    Wimbly, if your fiance is like my husband, you'll have to take matters into your hands and start yourself. My husband ended up in the hospital last year, and while he was there, I got so frustrated with the state of his office that I went in there and gutted it of the clutter. Just gutted it. He had pieces of papers for appointments dating back to 2008. He kept all the ATM receipts for withdrawals from 2010. He had two complete sets of Game of Thrones even though he has the same set on his kindle as well. Boxes that I personally packed when we moved to this house had been untouched. A Rubbermaid container meant to store winter closes (or summer) had one sweatshirt. And on, and on, I came across old stuff that should have been thrown away because they weren't useful anymore.

To exact my revenge, I took pictures before and after, and showed him that evening. A look of panic came across his face and before he started raging, I told him: "Honey, I didn't get rid of anything. Yet. If you need something back, just tell me and I'll put it back."

And you know what? By the time he came home, there was not one thing that I took away that he wanted back. As long as he doesn't lay eyes on something, he doesn't remember he has it.
    macw1960 likes this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^^^you are not alone blueeyetea, I too keep appliance boxes, this has come in handy when I need to have them repaired or if there is a warranty with them. when the warranty is up, I toss them. I also keep favourite crafting magazines but weed them out every spring. Love the idea of keeping a donation box on a full time basis!
    macw1960 likes this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    Love the idea of keeping a donation box on a full time basis!
    I have CP come pick up my extra stuff regularly: http://ofcp.ca/donate/collection/

They will come monthly if you can give monthly. After you donate once you are on their telemarketing list, so once a month you will get a call that annoyingly enough is one of those where it's silent until you're connected to the call center so I accidentally hang up on them a lot. I usually call to schedule a collection.

It's so funny, once I put the box out the neighbour's usually knocking to ask if they can look and see if there is any "good stuff".
    macw1960 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^heh, heh, I guess if they can use the stuff why not lol. Good idea re CP ....I usually pass on my kids clothes to friends or family if sizing works and there is life left in them. Clothes never seem to sell at garage sales or on kijji anyway.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Wed, Feb 17th, 2016 at 02:06 PM.
    coupon girl, macw1960 and lecale like this.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

^heh, heh, I guess if they can use the stuff why not lol. Good idea re CP ....I usually pass on my kids clothes to friends or family if sizing works and there is life left in them. Clothes never seem to sell at garage sales or on kijji anyway.
    I complained earlier in the thread about them not showing up but actually it was right after xmas, a lot of people were decluttering and they had to send the truck out again the next day! so I did get rid of that stuff.

They are most interested in textiles (clothes, bedding, etc.) but they do take electronics (marked working/not working) and housewares.

I don't like the idea of kijiji buyers coming around because 1) they are a pain, on their own time and 2) I don't want anybody casing out the joint because my neighbour always has toys (quads, boats, etc.) and I don't want to be the one that is bringing strangers around all the time if something disappears.
    Last edited by lecale; Wed, Feb 17th, 2016 at 02:17 PM.
    macw1960 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    I think little by little I'll make a few things "disappear". I would never throw out his things, I'm taking literal garbage that he has stuffed in totes and boxes lol
    Unless it's an official document - I've been throwing it out. He's incorrigible. Just the other day I was helping him look for a set of keys he lost, and I went through a box he keeps by the door where he throws his wallet, keys and change at the the of day. It's full of paper. I was pushing old notices under his nose and asking how useful was an appointment notice from 2008. Or a credit card bill. Or a financial statement.

Myself, I admit I have a lot of stuff - especially craft supplies and books, but it takes me 5 minutes, 10 minutes tops to find what I'm looking for. My husband, on the other hand, I've found tax declarations datings back to the 1980s. If he hasn't looked at it in all that time, it's gone to the shredding box.

And I'm not even talking about the complete set of glasses from the 1988 Calgary Olympic Games, still wrapped up in newspaper. Boxes and boxes.
    macw1960 likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I also keep favourite crafting magazines but weed them out every spring.
    I have a hard time what that, so I've been organizing them. They have their respective box in the basement. On the other hand, I don't buy as many as before, and no longer get subscriptions. When I do buy, I try to get the electronic version. With most of the knitting magazines, once the magazines are out of print, you can buy individual patterns.
    macw1960 likes this.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information