User Tag List

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree416Likes

Thread: Decluttering in 2016!

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

If you need motivation, well I just loved the advice in The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo

http://www.amazon.ca/Life-Changing-M...ds=Marie+Kondo

Her rule of thumb is if something doesn't "spark joy" - get rid of it. Lots of good advice: don't collect paper, ever. Throw away all those manuals to courses you took that you'll never refer to again. And so on. It's an an easy read that will coach you on how to get rid of stuff if you can't let go.

One of my favourite pieces of advice from this book is about hand-me-downs: Don't! They just make everyone unhappy.

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I hear you Wimbly on paperwork..huge pita. Get one of these (or two) files labels and folders.
    I did this last year, it took a while but once it's done it's done! And then if papers need to go anywhere they immediately go into a file, they don't end up on a catch all table collecting more clutter

Name:  image.jpeg
Views: 187
Size:  20.5 KB
    Last edited by Candini; Fri, Jan 22nd, 2016 at 09:36 PM.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lecale View Post
    If you need motivation, well I just loved the advice in The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up: The Japanese Art of Decluttering and Organizing by Marie Kondo

http://www.amazon.ca/Life-Changing-M...ds=Marie+Kondo

Her rule of thumb is if something doesn't "spark joy" - get rid of it. Lots of good advice: don't collect paper, ever. Throw away all those manuals to courses you took that you'll never refer to again. And so on. It's an an easy read that will coach you on how to get rid of stuff if you can't let go.

One of my favourite pieces of advice from this book is about hand-me-downs: Don't! They just make everyone unhappy.
    I used to use Flylady but she's too busy shrilling her new "premium" services and her husband's books and such like now..Not looked at Konmarie yet..

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Can't he watch Netflix and sort at the same time? @wimbly11
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

So much stuff....
    Last edited by wimbly11; Mon, Jan 25th, 2016 at 09:23 AM.
    macw1960, Candini, dededi and 1 others like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    47 (100%)

This is one of my goals this year too. We don't need all that we have. Give it away or sell what is not used/needed. I would love my husband to get rid of his miniature train set which covers most of my basement. He doesn't use it but it was his father's, who passed away, so memories are hard to part with.
    Just joined Kiva.org, an organization that funds micro-loans to people in developing countries. I love the idea that the $25 I saved in groceries can be given to a fish woman with 5 children in the Philippines to help grow her business.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

does anyone else save boxes? under my bed i have the box that my Ooma phone came in....box from my HP tablet from 2010, box from 2 yr old laptop, box that our bluray player came in.
    in the basement we still have the 2 boxes for flat screen tvs..... when do you let them go?

;-(

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    I tried to help him start last night. Had brought a bin upstairs. I was feeding baby so I took a pile of papers to start sorting. He freaked. Doesn't want me touching it. I give up. Ended in a huge fight....he says he'll do it. But he won't. He hasn't for years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I keep a box with discarded financial papers and once a year I take it to Staples to get shredded. There is no point in shredding it myself - I have destroyed expensive shredders and wasted hours getting rid of paperwork on my own. Just to be able to dump and be done with all the paperwork - priceless.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post
    does anyone else save boxes? under my bed i have the box that my Ooma phone came in....box from my HP tablet from 2010, box from 2 yr old laptop, box that our bluray player came in.
    in the basement we still have the 2 boxes for flat screen tvs..... when do you let them go?

;-(
    Well....if you are going to resell it is awesome to have the boxes, but if not...

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    I used to use Flylady but she's too busy shrilling her new "premium" services and her husband's books and such like now..Not looked at Konmarie yet..
    It sounds corny but she really helped me. Another tip she has is do it all at once, and yes, I think you have to tackle the whole home at once to be successful. Pull out all the papers from everywhere and have at them, rather than do just the papers in one room, for example.

I found Konmarie to be an excellent cheerleader and I really fixed the place up as I read the book. When I finished it I gave it away so I wouldn't have the clutter lol. But now I am in maintenance mode.

One of the most refreshing things was to clear the kitchen out of processed foods and walk them back to the grocery store for donation. Cans, ugh, heavy! So the walk was not refreshing but getting all that stuff cleaned out of my home was.

Trading Score
    321 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Evans View Post

;-(
    Unless you are moving very shortly get rid of them as you really don't need them.

No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever forgotten...Aesop

Trading Score
    10 (100%)

I decluttered my whole apt back in October, threw away things we didnt use or that were broken. Then I got married and now my apt is cluttered with tools and drive way 3 vechiles, he only drives one Grrr men that fix stuff.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

We've gotten a little done. Moved a lot of clothes out of the house this week. Hoping to tackle more this weekend!! Stay motivated
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    laughs..I still have uncluttered boxes from when we moved in 2000...
    My in laws left the UK in 1970 something, they still have boxes they did not unpack. It's art & childhood stuff of DH and his brother. Someday I will get my hands on it.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

We tackled some things this weekend. Fairly pleased with the progress. Added more to a box to go for donation. Organized the recycling and got the refundables in the car to be dropped off today. Starting tackling some clutter in the basement...baby steps lol
    macw1960, SnowFlakey and Cake like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information