Cheers to 2024!

Any new financial plans/goals?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    harbie, lilo0003 and Ciel21 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

For us-

Groceries- Starting the year off with a stocked (clean/organized) freezer so really only buying fresh/healthy stuff for awhile.
    Food prep is key for us so we have healthy ready food to eat.

Travel- Enjoying it while healthy and able! Have travel plans booked/paid for and others in the making. Will continue to save and research/plan trips.

Selling stuff- With the mission to downsize and declutter- 2024 is the year it all goes! Will start posting stuff for sale again in the new year. Big garage sale in April/May. Once the snow is done we are moving everything from the basement storage area to the garage and it goes! Money collected will be saved for some goal to be decided.

Christmas- Will continue to put $100/mth away in Christmas account.

Points- Will update my totals at the end of the year so I know what I am starting 2024 with.
    EvilTofu, harbie, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

2024 Point Starting point

PC Pt Card #1 $843.00
    PC Pt Card #2 $37.00
    Ct $ on the card $170.91 (plus pile of paper money that I will redeem this year)
    3902 Scene points ($40?)

I have a bunch of FPC's to redeem in Jan. Movie tickets and Cineplex GC's that need to be used.
    $100 Visa GC I received for Christmas. (this will go in my clothing savings)

I am building a credit on one of Visa's for our trip in March. (Put $60 on it today) Flight/Cruise/hotel/transportation is all paid for already. But we will need a few meals on the day we arrive (day before cruise) and probably the day we fly back home. Bringing US cash for tips/spending as well but may want to use the card.
    Received Pre-Cruise credit of approx $150 (we aren't sure why but we spent it!) Purchased a coffee card (15 specialty coffees that I will share with our group) A beach bag filled with beer and a beach bag filled with water. It was a spend it or lose it situation so I spent it!
    harbie, walkonby, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

2024 will be interesting financially as this had been the year DH and I planned to retire but then we bought a house in Nova Scotia. So this year will be a few renovations on that house while. So carrying 2 sets of bills and mortgage means some new plans. We have 1-2 years before we sell the Ontario home and move full time.
    I have taken an inventory of all the points we have and plan to use them for groceries for Jan and Feb. Then I will take that amount and put a lump sum on the mortgage. My goal is to take 5 years off of it in 2024 with extra payments and since I did 4 years in 4 months this year I think it’s doable.
    harbie, crafter and Ciel21 like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Payday- Mid-month budget clean up.

Groceries- Not spending much on groceries. Using what we have. Fridge shopping so using up our fridge stuff and not buying more.
    Have a credit on one credit card and have cash to put on it to pay for new fridge. Will make a decision on new fridge this weekend.

PC pts
    $937 Card #1
    $39 Card #2

No other point changes (Ct $ on the card or Scene) Haven't been in those stores spending this year yet!
    harbie, crafter and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Three to start off with for 2024:
    1) Try to ask those flyers sites to show me the deals on some items I want not to pay full price on every week. Important as flyer delivery is not consistent through the mail (various days) and now a second flyer service has some flyers bundled in its Thursday plastic bag.

2) Swap Cdn Tire offers I have for community offers that may be needed that week or are just good to have (playing the algorithm)

3) February-get a microwave cooking item for someone to help expand cooking options and send some pantry staples too. I am getting a few staples here and there this month but can't send the parcel until next month.

I made a registry for myself in December and have found myself keen to get three books, foam tiles and a few smaller things. But the money is no more and I will leave the registry up for another week then take it down. It's fun for me.

Have to call HBC Rewards to correct an error in year on my account. I now have enough points for a $10 redemption but my receipts tell me I cannot redeem and must call in. I truly am not 128 years old-typo cannot be corrected on my own.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Fri, Jan 12th, 2024 at 01:52 PM.
    harbie, crafter and HermanH like this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Feb 1st Update.

PC Pts

$983.00 Card #1
    $67.00 Card #2
    No plans to use points this month but want to build card #2 up for a May 24 Meat stock up (hoping for a big sale )

CT $ on the card approx $171.00

Groceries- Using up our freezer stuff and picking up sale items. Haven't spent much on groceries really the last few weeks (we were fridgeless! so that helped!)

Building credit on VISA for cruise in 37 days Added $100 to it yesterday. (basically just need money to cover meals in Orlando day before and after cruise)

Need to start posting stuff for sale to build my crap sold envelope $. Will try and pull a few things today to get started

Will make February a lay low month to get stuff done around the house.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Mid-Month Budget Clean up.

Not too many changes.
    Went to bank yesterday to put Canadian $ in US account and take the US $ out. Feel ripped off
    Flight/Cruise in about 24 days so starting to get things done/packed.

Need to pick up a headlight bulb for my vehicle. Watched a you tube video and it takes 10 seconds to change it So that is the project next nice day.
    Will try and pick that up today so we have it when ready. Last time the dealer did it for free I am sure but no wonder it is an easy job.

Groceries- We are eating well and shopping sales and using stuff from freezer. Cleaned out a cupboard the other day and tossed expired cans (think my mom gave me when she moved but we won't use them so I should have tossed them then!)

Loving our new fridge! It's so clean and organized and we really love it.
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Wed, Feb 14th, 2024 at 10:55 AM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

End of the month budget clean up.

PC pts
    Card #1 1,009,997 ($1010.00!!)
    Card #2 72,768 ($72.00)
    Will look at SDM extra redemption this weekend and if they have the fragrance samplers for Men I will pick up 2 for my boys for Christmas since I didn't give it to them this year for their birthdays. And then just grab deals I find on things needed/groceries.

June road trip to New York State mostly planned. 4 nights booked and paid for (my friend owes me still! and will put that money in my travel savings account)
    We plan on hitting the Kingston Pen Tour on our way back (we wanted to do this 2 years ago but it was closed on the day we came back that way) We are watching for it open end of April and then will plan our day and hopefully be able to buy our tickets in advance.

Leave for vacation next Thursday night. (We fly out Friday morning but going to my sister's Thursday night to leave from there) Everything is pretty much paid for. Have a credit on the Visa to cover meals while traveling to and from. Have US $ ready if needed. Can really enjoy vacation when it is all paid in advance! I don't know how people go on vacation and come home to a bill... Yikes!
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

@Frugalbigmama I'm sure you have kept tabs on NY state's toll rates that kicked in at start of 2024...
    https://www.wxxinews.org/local-news/...-tolls-to-rise
    Last edited by Ciel21; Tue, Mar 12th, 2024 at 01:26 AM.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

End of month budget update.

Moved money from Simplii to Tangerine for the 5.75% promo till May 31st. (my House/car ins $ and Misc. $)

PC PTS
    $1107.00 Card #1
    $53.00 Card #2 ( I redeemed some from this card this month)

Our pay increase was on this pay so have to wait till next pay to see what new total is (since we had back pay on this one as well)

Moved money to usual accounts (Christmas/utilities/Misc.) etc.

Thinking April will be an eat from the freezer/fridge/pantry challenge.

Also should have the garage sale this month so the garage cleaning can be done. (We are setting up a sitting area in there for the summer since we like to BBQ at the front etc)
    Last edited by Frugalbigmama; Tue, Apr 2nd, 2024 at 10:03 AM.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thought I was doing well not getting any more baby items and ran down my stock of greeting cards too but have had two gift purchases for adults (one known, one more of impulse) that affected my grocery budget this month.
    Since the change in timing of the Canada Carbon Rebate, I have to wait longer to get it, so no early gift giving as has happened in prior years. Most of rebate is going to the cash gift and card accompanying a baby outfit this spring.

Another gift will have to wait until summer-ideally, I will get free shipping from a retail site if I get past the minimum spend level and not worry about customs charges as the vendor is in the US. Already have some items in mind-just need to determine a spending limit. There's a possibility of getting a gift card if I time the purchase during a promotion period.

The postage rates for mail are increasing around May 6. Rexall has 10% off stamp packs this week. I'd advise anyone planning a big mailing for an event to stock up on P-stamp rolls now before the price hike.
    Last edited by Ciel21; Fri, Apr 12th, 2024 at 10:13 PM.
    coupon girl likes this.

Thread Information