User Tag List

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast
Like Tree1150Likes

Thread: What are you doing to deal with the rising cost of groceries?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

In case you did not see this article this month in your daily paper, there's a British blogger/author/cook who has the title of "Tin Can Cook" as she knows from lived experience how to cook using canned goods. I'd like to give her veggie burgers a try (there are three recipe links within the article-the burgers are the first recipe). Think to share the article in case you want to rely on pantry and frozen items and make do if funds are tight or you'd like to try to cut back on grocery spending.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.9700ff5f4303
    ROMEO and Silk like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    In case you did not see this article this month in your daily paper, there's a British blogger/author/cook who has the title of "Tin Can Cook" as she knows from lived experience how to cook using canned goods. I'd like to give her veggie burgers a try (there are three recipe links within the article-the burgers are the first recipe). Think to share the article in case you want to rely on pantry and frozen items and make do if funds are tight or you'd like to try to cut back on grocery spending.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifes...=.9700ff5f4303
    Thanks @Ciel - checking it out! There are links to other recipes of hers throughout the article
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

Tonight I tackle the bits of this and that from the freezer on the fridge. I'm ready to just toss it all so will see what I can salvage to feed my hungry boys.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I have most of the ingredients for the veggie burgers except cumin but mild curry will be a good substitute. Plan to make burgers for lunch tomorrow.

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

@Ciel - Please post and let us know how they turned out - I'm curious I am looking for a good and easy veggie burger recipe - although I would likely change the beans cuz I'm not a big fan of kidney beans. Thanks!
    ROMEO and Frugalbigmama like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Was looking over some missed newspaper issues of last week and noticed an article on the reasons why celery costs so much:
    1) bad weather affecting crops & 2) popularity of celery juicing
    https://nationalpost.com/life/food/c...m-celery-juice

Now you know why I try to find the reduced price celery for home eating and juicing!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

I'm finding the sale prices still really good. It's the regular prices that seem to really have jumped but doesn't seem to matter to me since I shop the sales. So far so good!
    Silk and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I'm currently working on decreasing the amount of food I have in the freezer, both overall and for certain things, basically meat. This won't save a lot of money, but it will free up quite a bit of cash flow, probably enough for at least a week or two worth of groceries. It will also make it less of a chore to keep my inventory up to date, which will in turn mean that I'm less likely to end up with things in the bottom of the freezer that have been there longer than they should be.
    Silk, Ciel, sweetmomma and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

A headline on one of today's morning shows indicated that Canadians waste $1700 in food per year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5883321/c...nt-lethbridge/

I can see how takeout or prepared dinners might be part of that tally-sometimes one plans to eat the leftovers the next day but sometimes leftovers get forgotten and grow strange in the fridge or on the counter or somewhere.
    Produce definitely could be $200 or more of that amount. I am working through apples on the counter that have bruising that is spreading by the warm day so I don't end up tossing them (they were purchased by another family member).
    Dairy is one category of food wastage at our house.
    Silk likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    A headline on one of today's morning shows indicated that Canadians waste $1700 in food per year.

https://globalnews.ca/news/5883321/c...nt-lethbridge/

I can see how takeout or prepared dinners might be part of that tally-sometimes one plans to eat the leftovers the next day but sometimes leftovers get forgotten and grow strange in the fridge or on the counter or somewhere.
    Produce definitely could be $200 or more of that amount. I am working through apples on the counter that have bruising that is spreading by the warm day so I don't end up tossing them (they were purchased by another family member).
    Dairy is one category of food wastage at our house.
    I'm not surprised. For one thing, the $1700 is per household, not per person. In addition, while some people I know are very good about eating their leftovers or portion control so as keep down how much they have, others put a lot straight into the bin. It's not a typical example, but I know families where pretty much everything that has been served but not eaten gets tossed, even if it's something like 3/4 of a steak that could be the main part of another meal.
    Silk and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

More talk on the news saying that grocery costs are on the rise. I think it said average increase would be $480 per family next year?

I am still finding our grocery costs not bad at all. I continue to shop the sales and stock up as needed so we aren't paying high prices.
    Silk and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

We are buying foods today that have a long shelf life. For example, No Frills has their dried beans on sale for 1.94. We can use these in many main dish meals, stews, soups and lunches. They are good protein sources in place of meat or along with meat.

We are also shopping seasonally, so whatever is usually on sale in December, is what we buy. The Foodland Ontario guide is very helpful for this
    https://www.ontario.ca/foodland/page/availability-guide
    Silk, Ciel, sweetmomma and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

We have made a drastic change in our diet and am searching out deals/ideas.

Today I purchased 10 cans of brown beans from GT for .67 each. Will leave a few at work so I have when needed for something quick and simple.
    I also found organic rice cakes for $1. Perfect with nut butter!
    Silk, Ciel, sweetmomma and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am loving the flash food app and the Loblaws by my office always has wicked deals. Today I paid 34 cents for pc blue menu English muffins. Bought 2 and one will go into the freezer.
    Silk, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Honestly, I buy more at Costco, there are many items yes it is a large quantity but 1 of something last us our household 6 months to a year. When it comes to fresh items (personally I find most of Costco's produce over priced with the exception of a few items) I buy a lot of them at the Chinese Market. They have the largest selection of marked down fruits and vegetables so as long as you are not picky about exactly what you want, but since we always shop the sales I am used to our selection depending on what is on sale this week.
    Silk, Ciel, coupon girl and 1 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 ... LastLast

Thread Information