User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 44
Like Tree372Likes

Thread: Saving money takes TIME and sacrifice!

  1. #1
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,821
    Likes Received
    3622
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)




    18
    Who's with me here? Doesn't it just grind you when you are asked about saving money. So you share. Then get "oh I don't have time for that" or "we are too picky to eat that" and so on? I'm pretty strict with my budget and if pineapple is on sale and blueberries are not, guess what I'm buying? And yep I spend a solid amount of time planning my shops. I look at it as a part time job. I wouldn't expect to be paid and rewarded without putting in the hours with a real job. Why would you expect any different when saving money?

    This doesn't happen over night! I spend time collecting coupons, matching up cash back, sales, points, and coupons!

    And you know, I GET that not everyone has time for couponing. I do. But that's no excuse for not price matching. AT LEAST and shopping sales! If you want to save money, it takes TIME. It's YOUR MONEY no one else cares how you spend it, so YOU have to!

    Ugh drives me mental! I don't care if this "lifestyle/hobby" isn't for everyone that's fine. But stop expecting I have this magically band aid solution to overspending on groceries because I DO NOT I work hard EVERY SINGLE WEEK to keep my families hard earned cash in OUR pockets.

    Rant over!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Guess
    redfox, ottawa, Tweets77 and 26 others like this.


  2. #2
    Canadian Genius Tweets77's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    N.W. Ontario
    Posts
    7,365
    Likes Received
    9175
    Trading Score
    167 (100%)




    I hear you. My mother usually asks if I have done the same for my sister and brother. They are both adults that are computer literate and can do for themselves thank you very much. I don't want to spend my entire life on the computer. I have enough just looking after my DH and myself.
    redfox, avoncallingu, Ciel and 9 others like this.

  3. #3
    no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Scarlem
    Posts
    38,053
    Likes Received
    61649
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)




    @samm07 I very much enjoyed your rant. We all make the time for what we feel is important in life and ways to save bucks seems to be in the news and it sure seems like most people want to do that....but oh wait, they would need to invest some time and effort of their own?? They might have to make tough choices on whether or not to buy the higher priced produce or the sale priced one? That is where you lose most people.
    They want stuff as cheap as possible but they would like someone else to do all the legwork for them.

    Last edited by walkonby; Mon, Apr 25th, 2016 at 12:52 PM.






  4. #4
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Ottawa
    Posts
    2,528
    Likes Received
    7529
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)




    I agree with all of you! Yes, it takes a bit of time, and some people say, my time is worth more than that, but then they expect you to give them coupons,and they get mad at you if you didn't tell them about a deal, what my time isn't worth anything??

  5. #5
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,821
    Likes Received
    3622
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)




    I knew you'd all understand! Ugh same people asking me for tips and tricks all the time. I'll tell you the same thing I did 4 months ago. You need to make saving money a priority!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  6. #6
    Canadian Genius cinpow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Markham
    Posts
    5,172
    Likes Received
    9361
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    I can totally relate to it

  7. #7
    CaToonie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    hamilton
    Posts
    209
    Likes Received
    743
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)




    Yes, Yes, Yes! Can you tell I agree? There is a real skill involved in learning how to use coupons, price match, scop, accumulate optimum points, PC points etc but once you learn it you use it all the time! I am not wealthy and really dont have to do it but it's my money and I think I'll keep it! My favorite is when people say they can't afford a vacation but they can have a lg dd at timmies every day. That's one coffee. $700.00 a year. And the ones who wouldn't ask for the scop because they would be embarrassed, PLEASE! I promise you that when you are overcharged they don't come running after you to give you your money back! So yes! I like my money and I think I'll keep on going the way I am. Have the BEST day all you SMARTCANUCKERS!!!!!

  8. #8
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,821
    Likes Received
    3622
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Nina1 View Post
    Yes, Yes, Yes! Can you tell I agree? There is a real skill involved in learning how to use coupons, price match, scop, accumulate optimum points, PC points etc but once you learn it you use it all the time! I am not wealthy and really dont have to do it but it's my money and I think I'll keep it! My favorite is when people say they can't afford a vacation but they can have a lg dd at timmies every day. That's one coffee. $700.00 a year. And the ones who wouldn't ask for the scop because they would be embarrassed, PLEASE! I promise you that when you are overcharged they don't come running after you to give you your money back! So yes! I like my money and I think I'll keep on going the way I am. Have the BEST day all you SMARTCANUCKERS!!!!!
    Ugh moaning and groaning about not affording this or that yet spoiling their kids or whatever else drives me insane!!!!!

    I will admit I get a large coffee every Tuesday when I grocery shop. It's MY treat once a week. And I'm ok with that! Same as I'm now (very newly) a stay at home mom and we put my toddler in daycare twice a week for 3 hours. That's $36/week. But it's something I budget for. And he LOVES it and I enjoy the break. And yah know, my couponing helps me afford these things on my husbands income!

    But then I don't go complaining we can't go on a vacation! These are my priorities at the moment.

    Our extra income isn't "play money" either! I listen to people butch and moan about debt. Yet tax return time go on a vacation and I want to throat punch them! We paid off our line of credit FOUR YEARS early because we sacrificed any fun money that came in. Ugh. It infuriates me. We make big sacrifices as a family for our future and it's not easy! But we do it. We knew me staying home with our kids was important so we worked our asses off to pay off our debts and live well within our means! We could go be house poor but nope we stay in our little house that's very manageable.

    Anyway I'm getting off topic. But I'm so sick of people thinking these kinds of things like financial freedom is GIVEN to you. No my friends it's called hard work! We are 26/28 and should be mortgage free before we hit 40! We don't have a big luxurious house, it's small, semi detached, minor updates.... But man will that feeling ever be amazing! How much since does one family need anyway? lol
    Last edited by samm07; Mon, Apr 25th, 2016 at 02:25 PM.

  9. #9
    CaToonie
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    BC
    Posts
    278
    Likes Received
    676
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)



    Quote Originally Posted by samm07 View Post
    I knew you'd all understand! Ugh same people asking me for tips and tricks all the time. I'll tell you the same thing I did 4 months ago. You need to make saving money a priority!!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    I believe you are not the only one here. I would recommend you not to be bothered to those people who just want to get tips from you but can't stick to them. Or if they come back to you more than once, maybe you can have a paid lecture for them for couponing? (Make first one free...) I believe it is totally technique dependent and some people can't do like you do.
    My Orange key is 24496925S1

    Drop referral code:q6n0i https://www.earnwithdrop.com/


  10. #10
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,821
    Likes Received
    3622
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by agarla View Post
    I believe you are not the only one here. I would recommend you not to be bothered to those people who just want to get tips from you but can't stick to them. Or if they come back to you more than once, maybe you can have a paid lecture for them for couponing? (Make first one free...) I believe it is totally technique dependent and some people can't do like you do.
    You've got to WANT to do it. 100%!

  11. #11
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    NotFarEnoughNorth
    Posts
    2,868
    Likes Received
    9219
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)




    My favorite is when someone will see the items I have accumulated and right away think of the coupon shows they have seen on the tv and assume that every thing that is there is totally free. I don't think they realize not only how much time and effort goes into it but how much money is also invested in what they call a stock pile. I call it my inventory of consumables that my family use everyday that I have to replenish on a ongoing basis so I very rarely ever pay anymore than 25% retail for a lot of it.

    I have on quite a few occasions offered to show people the basics (I know I'm not the most qualified teacher here) who are happy to take free products I have given them but never have taken me up on showing them the basics. Other than my direct family and to my boxes to go to charity I rarely give things away.
    redfox, avoncallingu, Ciel and 8 others like this.

  12. #12
    CaLoonie
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    London, Ontario
    Posts
    140
    Likes Received
    158
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)



    My favorite is when they ask and you tell them what you do and their response is "Why don't I just give you the money and you can do it for me".

  13. #13
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    1,742
    Likes Received
    4219
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)




    @samm07 - it seems like you REALLY needed to vent on this one!
    @Nina1 - so true....once you learn to use it, you never go back! I can't imagine paying full price for certain items. If I absolutely need to get something, I will try to find a sale price somewhere and price amtch if the store isn't near me. I don't even want to think about how much I spent in the PC (pre-couponing) days
    CADDLE APP REFERRAL LINK: http://dev.caddle.ca/signup/referral/565f84b25049b

  14. #14
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,821
    Likes Received
    3622
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by Thatdone View Post
    My favorite is when someone will see the items I have accumulated and right away think of the coupon shows they have seen on the tv and assume that every thing that is there is totally free. I don't think they realize not only how much time and effort goes into it but how much money is also invested in what they call a stock pile. I call it my inventory of consumables that my family use everyday that I have to replenish on a ongoing basis so I very rarely ever pay anymore than 25% retail for a lot of it.

    I have on quite a few occasions offered to show people the basics (I know I'm not the most qualified teacher here) who are happy to take free products I have given them but never have taken me up on showing them the basics. Other than my direct family and to my boxes to go to charity I rarely give things away.
    Yep I share with my mom/dad/in laws/and grandparents. Mostly my grandparents because they collect coupons for me and my mom does this herself (on a smaller scale

  15. #15
    Smart Canuck
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    GTA
    Age
    30
    Posts
    1,821
    Likes Received
    3622
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)




    Quote Originally Posted by TIMMYS View Post
    My favorite is when they ask and you tell them what you do and their response is "Why don't I just give you the money and you can do it for me".
    As long as I get to keep the deference in what you'd normally pay for it all
    anisa, avoncallingu, Ciel and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •