User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree66Likes

Thread: Cataract surgery

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Has any-one had cataract surgery or knows some-one who has?
    My optician told me I have the early signs of cataracts and has recommended seeing the ophthalmist WRT surgery before they become too bad. Even though I'm youngish (52), she reasons that early intervention is probably the best way forward for me.

Pros and cons please..
    Also experiences with the actual surgery and recovery period.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    ROMEO likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    51 (100%)

My father had it done. They made him wait until his cataract fully "ripened" and he spent a while balancing his laptop on its edge so the screen was vertical before his eyes 8" away to read the news. He had better vision afterwards though and was able to give up his distance glasses (still needs reading glasses). They did both eyes, one at a time. Major issue was itching. Best to schedule lots of bed time and just try and relax and zen.

Complications were my mother. She flipped out because she did not want to care for my dad and left the province for a month. What a *****. It was bad for my dad because he was left alone like that. However he was back to a (stunned)) normal within a week or so.
    ROMEO and Darth Penguin like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

3 of my grandparents had it done, biggest complaint from all of them was not doing things after the surgery like no bending or lifting but within a few days all back to normal.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

i think maybe the ophtalmist will have a different opinion imho

due to some health conditions, i'm seeing an ophtalmist regularly ,last time he told me that i have cataract beginning on one eye but that we are far from a surgery....
    from family members experiences, they had one eye operated then ,a couple of months later, even if the cataract is not fully ready the second one is done otherwise '' the waiting would be too long '' .. that'S what they told
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

well, I have a date of July 25th for my left eye which has the worst sight but the lesser cataract. My right eye should be done around a week later.

Somehow I managed to miss the "being conscious" part of the operation when researching on Dr Internet..I'm not looking forward to that part..
    ROMEO likes this.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

in case i forget later.....best of luck for your surgeries and speedy recovery......

i check the net and if you are myope, no longer need to wear correcting lenses after ....
    Last edited by Mia001; Sun, Jul 10th, 2016 at 08:58 AM.
    ROMEO, Angela273 and Darth Penguin like this.
    Thank's to DH who told me the grumpy Garfield was not at all representative of who i am

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Mia001 View Post
    in case i forget later.....best of luck for you surgeries and speedy recovery......

i check the net and if you are myope, no longer need to wear correcting lenses after ....

Thank you..but since my myopia is now compounded by astigmatism, the surgeon is using the surgery to correct that but I shouldn't need as strong a lens in my reading glasses as I have now.
    ROMEO and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Happy to answer all your questions of a young person experience. I was diagnosed at 37. The doctor held me off until it was ripe and at 45 I was no longer driving at night or in rain, snow and with young kids this was not realistic. When you are younger and 52 is young you will have an easier time because there is a lot of drops to manage and a routine to them, easier to remember at 52 than 82. The awake part is weird but not bad, just really weird. I had both eyes down and did them a week apart and the recovery was easy for both and the return of my vision was stunning. I was able to not wear glass for a few years but now I am back to readers at 49. Pm my any questions you have.
    The improvement was instant in my case, and I was back to driving at night within weeks.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    Happy to answer all your questions of a young person experience. I was diagnosed at 37. The doctor held me off until it was ripe and at 45 I was no longer driving at night or in rain, snow and with young kids this was not realistic. When you are younger and 52 is young you will have an easier time because there is a lot of drops to manage and a routine to them, easier to remember at 52 than 82. The awake part is weird but not bad, just really weird. I had both eyes down and did them a week apart and the recovery was easy for both and the return of my vision was stunning. I was able to not wear glass for a few years but now I am back to readers at 49. Pm my any questions you have.
    The improvement was instant in my case, and I was back to driving at night within weeks.
    Thanks @lilo0003 ..My brood are no longer young (18, 15 and 11)..Penguinette 1 is in college so less of a problem and as the others are out of school they can help Mr P round the house..Name:  shifteyeloki.gif
Views: 195
Size:  763.4 KB

My surgeon is talking 1 week apart for the 2 ops...I'd like it done ASAP just to get it over with..

Thanks for offering to answer any pms..I may take you up on that offer..

I'll probably still need glasses as my myopia is bad..
    ROMEO and Angela273 like this.

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

one of DH aunt had very bad vision and was wearing strong glasses from her youth ....surprisingly after the surgery , she no longer need them...she is around 80yo
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

The no bending, lifting rule should be applied as long as possible just because you can, I had my kids doing all the heavy lifting for months after"
    Mia001, ROMEO, seylz_gurl and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    well, I have a date of July 25th for my left eye which has the worst sight but the lesser cataract. My right eye should be done around a week later.

Somehow I managed to miss the "being conscious" part of the operation when researching on Dr Internet..I'm not looking forward to that part..

Turns out I misunderstood what was said...I had my second lot of eye-exams today..Surgery will be in the autumn sometime..
    ROMEO likes this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Turns out I misunderstood what was said...I had my second lot of eye-exams today..Surgery will be in the autumn sometime..
    just had mine done, darth. right eye first then the left 2 weeks later.
    no bending, lifting over 10 lbs for 2 weeks after each eye so 4 weeks in total of no gym!
    quick procedure. as soon as i arrived they started putting in anaesthetic and antibiotic eye drops and IV line inserted for fentanyl.
    opted for the laser removal of the old lens (extra cost). supposed to be a more thorough removal and less painful. that took only a few minutes of watching flashing lights. over to another table for the insertion of the new lens. i remember the surgeon saying, 'you're going to feel a little pressure'... and that's it. i don't remember leaving the room or getting back to the recovery room. fentanyl is great that way.
    i was a little nervous about being awake for the whole thing but it was painless and no big deal.
    afterwards had to wait for a couple of hours to have pressures checked. another check up one week after each eye and a final checkup 4 weeks after the last eye.
    total of 4 weeks of eye drops for each eye. if you're having them done closer than 4 weeks apart, you're going to need a chart for the eye drop schedule! i set alarms in my phone for the drops and named them according to what drops i needed to put in at that time. e.g. 10:00 a.m. alarm called "left-pred/acuvail; right-antibiotic/pred/acuvail"; 2:00p.m. alarm called "right-pred/acuvail". it can get a little confusing. you'll have to find a system that works for you.
    i was offered a choice of lenses. opted for the 'progressives' so that i won't need any glasses, no reading glasses, nada!
    overall very happy with the results.

good luck!
    ROMEO, seylz_gurl, lecale and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

So glad I didn't have surgery this week. I've either a summer cold or more likely hay fever from helheim..my eyes are weepy and itchy and I can't stop sneezing..
    heartgirl99 and ROMEO like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Operation Bionic Eye is a go for 23rd Sept and 6 Oct..
    heartgirl99, Mia001, ROMEO and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information