Thread: April 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

where on twitter... please.

i am trying to stay on top of this. sigh. very nervous
    Quote Originally Posted by FinallyFree View Post
    Just read this tidbit on Twitter

“NEW: Premier Doug Ford throws cold water on the idea of the economy opening up by the "May 24 long weekend" (Victoria Day is May 18.) Premier cautions against the idea of things reopening so soon.”
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Giseledta, barbis9 and Thatdone like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

thanks !!! i jsut watched doug fords news conferance. sigh. nervous
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    or Swagbucks
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Sibling this morning commented how he ordered a small item from Home Depot yesterday and still had not received an e-mail to go to the store to pick it up. Don't know if the e-mail came through later in the day as he came back from shopping somewhere just now.
    Giseledta, barbis9 and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

SC Blog posted a special funnel cake recipe today-for the inspired cooks who have the flour, etc. to make the treats!
    https://smartcanucks.ca/canadas-wond...-sauce-recipe/
    Giseledta and barbis9 like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Question for everyone, besides possibly ordering online for click and collect groceries or spending more on groceries than you normally would since we cannot chase the sale. Have you noticed anything else about your shopping has changed?
    Giseledta, barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Ceil we spent $47 from home depot on Monday and still haven gotten the email to pick up -I looked online and it shows dots on my pickup and they have moved along but not yet .

Hubby and I just decided to eat takeout from wendys -we ate in the car I had hand sanitizer ,it was sooo yummy .He had gloves on to use the pinpad .
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Yes sassy -I am not online ordering at the bay or the gap -my go to stores before all this (nothing for me ,nothing for the grankids either ) as I don't wish to hang onto clothing if I don't like it or it doesn't fit til july or aug ,so saving money there .

I am not thrift shopping (as stores are closed)as I loved to do and could easy spent 20-30 whenever I went .Mind you I am glad I got the 10 boxes of puzzles from there in January ,as I am on number 1 of them .

My daughter in-law (yes I talked to her on zoom this morning and I said hi to grandaugther's (cara(age 2) and I sang entsy wency spider and we did the actions ,then she laughed along with me ,then chatted to Ashlyn who doesn't chat long before she is running off (age 6).My daughter-in-law said she got an opening on Walmart grocery pickup ,so I checked their prices out online not a whole lot different then fortinos ,cream was a 1.00 cheaper ,ice cream wasn't ,some coffee and tea were.I don't know I may still keep with fortinos .

So we are saving ,so it was a splurge to get takeout tonight ,but I felt we deserved it ,plus its helping local eateries in our area

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

frugal ness of the day -one pair of my grey socks had a whole on the ball of the foot ,so tossed it and had a dark grey one sock from when we went away back in feb (as I lost the other sock at the hotel ,maybe under the bed who knows) anyway today I had one light grey and one dark grey socks on my feet .

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We have always kept some frozen Fruit and Veg on hand but I am buying and relying more on frozen. There are 3 main reasons behind this:

The first one being I used to buy the majority of our fresh fruit and veg at the Chinese Market and currently we are not shopping there. Nothing against them but we are trying to only go to one store when we go out and we know we cannot get everything we need there.

The second is since our big shop was done at Costco one we are limited to which fruits and veg they offer some of normal staples are not available. Also I find Costco prices on fresh Fruit and Veg are much higher than grocery stores and I just cannot justify these prices. As well the amount you have to buy on some items I know we just cannot use that much before it goes bad.

The third is in an attempt to spend out our shopping, fresh will not last until we shop again. Although Mom went to Wal-Mart this week she did not buy any Fruit or Veg.

The other thing I have learned is after this, there might actually be more items I will buy from Costco. I realized the packages are bigger and I used to think I could not justify the price on some of these items but since we did our big shop at Costco I went ahead and bought some of these items. Now that we are using them I am seeing just how much more you really get (looking at it and comparing the size of the package, mentally what I thought it would equal does not match the reality).

For example fries, yes I knew the bag was bigger but we have now had fries either 5 or 6 times and we still have fries left, will probably get another 2 or 3 meals from the bag which when you compare to the grocery store Costco is a better deal.

Same thing with Nacho chips, I knew the bag was bigger but I thought oh 2 meals, I am better to buy on sale but we grabbed 2 bags, it is not 2 meals per Costco bag it is more like 3 or 4 meals.

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Question for everyone, besides possibly ordering online for click and collect groceries or spending more on groceries than you normally would since we cannot chase the sale. Have you noticed anything else about your shopping has changed?
    Giseledta, Ciel and coupon girl like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I obtained my huge sample source box.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Yes, all shopping outside of groceries have stopped. Actually I was discussing it with a co worker yesterday, one of my favourite stores had an awesome sale and free shipping but I could not justify buying clothes right now as where will I wear them? I just cannot justify the cost when I am not even going to the office.

Now I did buy new shoes just before everything closed down.
    Giseledta, Ciel and coupon girl like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Shopping changes: Shops are planned once a week, so less whimsical spending. Not running in for this and that, we go without until it is time to shop again. We are still shopping at more than one store: Sobeys bc our usual favs and brands BUT Food Basics is new. We have been going there for savings as we have found cost of groceries are higher. We have also avoided the larger grocery stores in nearby cities and are sticking to smaller local grocery stores.

We have done two online orders for Canadian Tire and they have been fabulous. We will continue to shop there for gifts and other needs just because the experience has been so positive. We (curb) picked up this order the same day as our groceries, as the Canadian Tire is beside Sobeys.

@Ciel Grimsby Library is our local library.
    Last edited by Granger; Wed, Apr 22nd, 2020 at 07:33 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Yes, all shopping outside of groceries have stopped. Actually I was discussing it with a co worker yesterday, one of my favourite stores had an awesome sale and free shipping but I could not justify buying clothes right now as where will I wear them? I just cannot justify the cost when I am not even going to the office.

Now I did buy new shoes just before everything closed down.
    Same for me. I think the last things I remember buying outside of groceries were a Cardigan from Walmart (Clearance $5) and three pairs of Boxers from the Bay ($3.99 each, cheaper than WALMART!) and I think that was the end of February, Beginning of March. So far since then I think I've spent a whopping $35 on groceries (Using up more of what I have rather than buying more), and $2.40 on a hamburger from Mcdonalds cause one of my floormates ate the food I was gonna cook one night before work...
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

my daycare shopping has totally stopped.
    grocery shopping has... increased in price.. no price matching, coupons are frowned upon. and prices.. ugh...

savings... hubby is not shopping .. yea. way, way less take out. we did it once for hubbies birthday.. he was so happy. he loves.. like loves mcds. its a joke between us ...
    i am doing any home stuff with stuff at home. i did one home hardwear pick up fo r ceiling paint.
    we are also using up stuff.. lots of stuff..
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    or Swagbucks

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 ... LastLast

Thread Information