User Tag List

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast
Like Tree1924Likes

Thread: May 2020 Frugal Chatter Thread

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I am not 100% sure but I think I saw a post that our town has cancelled all summers, and I just saw a post that Toronto has cancelled all summer run summer camps. This would be a very difficult summer.

I know we have some people off as they do not have Daycare, most are alternating with their partner so only off part time and most of them can work from home remotely so they are still working. As more business reopen it is going to become hard and Ford really danced around this at today's press conference as it was asked what do parents do with most Daycares still closed.

Mom has not gotten a call about going back to work but one of her co workers who did said no daycare was one reason you could give not to come back to work but I am sure knowing my Mom's work there is probably more to this that was not relayed. Mom knows of one person who has said they are not comfortable coming back to work as they have a small child and elderly people living in their household and they were told well you can ask for a 1 month leave of absence but you are guaranteed your current position when you return, if you return.

I hate to say it but I am really worried for what is to come for people as more reopens and where some will stand with their job. I know of a few people who are already worried their work will use the Covid layoffs as a reason to not bring some staff back.

I think all around we are still facing uncertain times.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, May 15th, 2020 at 07:44 PM.
    Giseledta and Ciel like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    Oh what a day, let's be real today kind of sucked. My Step Mom called well we eating Dinner, Bro's GF's Grandmother passed this evening. I knew awhile ago they thought she had Covid but last we heard it was not and she was being sent home. Turns out she ended up back in the hospital but they did not mention anything and today she passed. I could not imagine trying to go through this right now with Covid, to not even be able to hold a proper funeral, not to mention normally our family all comes together to support but we can't right now.

We have been told Mom's work is re opening on Tuesday but we have not heard from her boss yet. This is really stressing me out as they were following proper protocols with social distancing and other safety measure before they closed so I am worried about what she going back into. For anyone who have family members who have worked through this and dealt with the public, has your household taken any extra precautions?

On the good side of things, my anxiety seriously came out (not the good part) so I could not sit still which means we:
    Cleaned the freezer upstairs
    Re did the Chest Freezer (so happy now, made more room and only took 15 minutes)
    Packaged some pizza sauce we had in the fridge into single use portions and froze it
    Hand Dishes are done

Not a ton but it makes me happy for a work day.

Our system went down a bit this afternoon so that is when we did the freezers so not tonight I have a few things I need to look at and deal with before I can start my weekend.

Have a great night everyone.
    Ciel likes this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

University Couponer
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    For anyone who have family members who have worked through this and dealt with the public, has your household taken any extra precautions?
    I've been working through this and in part with the public. Working nights I don't interact too much (Only once we open and I'm heading home, so not too much interaction at least). My brother and Step Sister work for Tim Hortons, but because of my Dad's health issue (Diabetes), they voluntarily gave up all their hours at work (I think it was Late March). So right now all of them are at home, doing nothing (Aside from my Dad, he is Working From Home for TPL)
    Giseledta, barbis9 and SassyAshley like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    41 (100%)

i have 2 of my children ( ages 28, and soon to be 18) working at shoppers. Each have hand sanitizer in thier vehicles, and on thier selfs. if shoppers runs out. i will supply thiers , but thier boss is uber great. they also have lysol wipes in thier vehicles.
    they wash thier hands alot. change thier clothes when they the home.
    thier biggest thing...... and it could be our town, or the neighbourhood. ...... people deliberatly not social disatancing, and people arguing with them on limits of items... re... limit on tp, sanitizer, ect ect ect. my youngest gets the people arguing with her more then the oldest. I suspect they feel like they can bully a young staff member more then a older one. ... however.. my youngest is a pretty stubborn person.. lol. and she wont budge.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    to join earnably https://earnably.com/i/gigi3
    or Swagbucks
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/daycaremom
    offers wonderful ways to earn amazon.ca gcs... paypal and much more. message me if you want any hints.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Giseledta do not think this "helps" but it is not just your small town, granted I am in a small town here but it happens here as well.

Apparently there was quite the scene at Canadian Tire this week as apparently people feel they do not need to wait in line to enter (social distancing) and a couple of guys got very aggressive with the teenager working the door, telling them that Government told them to reopen and they had to let them in and no they were not standing in line.

Also last time we were at Costco well we were at Costco, they told a couple a few people back from them some store policies about bringing in re usable bins & bags (you cannot bring them in, but they were told they didn't have to go back to their car, they could just put them on the bottom rack of the cart), the woman proceeded to fight with the door person (an older man) that she was not following these rules and Costco could not make her. This then meant they stopped letting anyone in, he announced no one can enter until you listen and she would not listen and finally her husband took them to the car which he did not have to do. She wanted to pre pack her groceries to show the Costco Staff how she expected them to be packaged but Costco will not pack right now, they just put everything back in your cart.

People do not get it and only hear what they want to hear. When retail could open up for curb-side the number of people who told us at work we had to re open our doors, won't they be shocked when now yes we could re open but we have decided not to and that we will remain as curb side only.

Also I know at Mom's work they did stop putting the younger staff on the door before they closed because of how aggressive and rude customers were being when they were told they had to wait to enter the store.

So people are so wonderful and some just do not get it and I feel so bad for those working who have to deal with it, it is not fair to them, none of this is their fault.
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, May 15th, 2020 at 09:31 PM.
    Giseledta, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

***this is my answer to SassyAshley's question (sorry it was longer than expected...I have edited into two posts for reading ease).

We have been babysitting for my sister-in-law who is a nurse and has been testing for COVID. She personally has tested two positive patients. Her husband now has more flexibility to work from home now and her schooling for nurse practitioning is now done for the time being so they do not need our extra help anymore.

We agreed to provide childcare for them alongside my in-laws. I was comfortable doing so because they watched the day after us each week. I am not confident in my FILs social distancing. Had they watched before us, I probably would not have agreed. Since symptom onset is an average of 5-7 days, I was okay with it. They live across the road and he still barges in our home despite us asking him not to during this time. Our previous open door policy is biting us as we are dealing with someone who struggles with social etiquette during the best of times. We have to be very conscious to lock the back door.

My husband has done one funeral and kept distance at all times. We have been isolated due to the babysitting and in contact with only our parents maintaining social distance. Basically given the babysitting, we have had that family as part of our bubble as well as DH's parents. Moving forward we will continue to allow DH's sister and family into our home and that is it. We are incorporating our parents back more fully into our lives but continuing with social distancing and outdoor visits. When we are confident with their distancing and etiquette we will allow them back into our home. DH had a pulmonary embolism in the fall which puts him at great risk. FIL is diabetic and a heart attack survivor.
    Last edited by Granger; Sat, May 16th, 2020 at 12:38 PM.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

We are limiting our present contact to three families (SIL and our parents) and favouring outdoor distance visits. Soon, I will allow hugs for the kids to grammas and grandpas. We will limit in this way as long as we are comfortable. I have done much research and feel educated about how the virus spreads. If store fronts are beginning to open up, I can widen my bubble to include some family we have already had distance contact with. We are still following all distance etiquette and will distance ourselves from family who is not using it. I distanced myself before the government order. I will allow people back into my life before. I don't agree that storefronts are more important than the people I love. I do believe that that the government hasn't lifted the 5 or fewer gather because people lack common sense.

Part of our decisions come from inside knowledge from my SIL that community spread in our area is 1% of cases. We frequent Tim Horton's. All other errands are limited to one day a week. We minimize our public contact and wear masks, have hand sanitizer and wipes in the car. We have begun using Buy and Sells again with the same distance precautions we use with our errands. We will be safe and not live in fear either.
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Granger, your FIL sounds like my Opa, there is no stopping that man or changing his habits. My brother and his Wife are currently living next door to my Opa and they said he usually goes out a couple of times a day and if not it is for sure every other day they are out (he has hired help that lives in his house).

I remember one day Sister in Law messages us all that he had just been in the office and told her (this was before stores closed) that he was off to Costco and Home Depot. My Opa is in his 80s and just does not get any of this. My Dad has spoken to him many times, my Bro and his Wife who rarely leave their house have offered to do his shopping but he is insistent he is going to live his life.

I was trying to look at our local numbers but they are very confusing with that being said locally we have a number of outbreaks in our LTC homes, it looks like community spread is down but trying to head all of these charts and graphs make my head hurt.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    65 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    Good Evening Everyone,
    Oh what a day, let's be real today kind of sucked. My Step Mom called well we eating Dinner, Bro's GF's Grandmother passed this evening. I knew awhile ago they thought she had Covid but last we heard it was not and she was being sent home. Turns out she ended up back in the hospital but they did not mention anything and today she passed. I could not imagine trying to go through this right now with Covid, to not even be able to hold a proper funeral, not to mention normally our family all comes together to support but we can't right now.

We have been told Mom's work is re opening on Tuesday but we have not heard from her boss yet. This is really stressing me out as they were following proper protocols with social distancing and other safety measure before they closed so I am worried about what she going back into. For anyone who have family members who have worked through this and dealt with the public, has your household taken any extra precautions?

On the good side of things, my anxiety seriously came out (not the good part) so I could not sit still which means we:
    Cleaned the freezer upstairs
    Re did the Chest Freezer (so happy now, made more room and only took 15 minutes)
    Packaged some pizza sauce we had in the fridge into single use portions and froze it
    Hand Dishes are done

Not a ton but it makes me happy for a work day.

Our system went down a bit this afternoon so that is when we did the freezers so not tonight I have a few things I need to look at and deal with before I can start my weekend.

@SassyAshley my DH has been working more now that he usually do before since Covid19 . I am sure at work everyone are taking precautions to stay safe. That being said he only comes into contact with his fellow coworkers.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

It must be a long weekend as I bought one of the sale pop 6-packs at Shoppers to keep me company while using wi-fi. The plan was to purchase watermelon but I left the cart at home.Maybe tomorrow... This morning was a slow to start time; I found myself going through some old photographs (I was sort of melancholy and felt the need to see pictures). Later, I wrote a letter to a cousin so the family gets the surprise of a handwritten piece of mail. Laundry got done and some light cleaning. General sense of being on slow time but the light is bright and beckoning and the forecast is fine. Not looking forward to the rain for next three days. Jotted the forecast for the week because I only watch evening news about every three nights.

Our library system won't be reopening on Tuesday. I found the update on the library website but could not find it on Twitter or Facebook. Good thing there's still time to enjoy Disney Plus, though I admit to missing Microsoft Office for copy and paste work and some document drafting.

I'm looking forward to Bro's return to work in about a week.It's been a slow-burning fire of you are in my way and more amongst the three of us. Mom's making progress in the garden while I have slacked off for now. I should enjoy the tulips after suppertime as most are now open. The daffodils are nodding away-they've been troopers this month. Peonies are not yet showing-maybe in 7 days' time and ditto the cluster of Miss Amaryllis stalks here and there.

My Lee Valley Tool item arrived yesterday and I'm pleased to have a proper support for the downspout that blows with any wind.
    Have two more orders to wait upon-only one tracking number and the other order--can only hope it shows up next week.
    @Granger Good that you are looking forward to Maleficient 2! I plan to watch it on the weekend if friend is available for Internet or next week. I can say it was fun watching Ep. 3 of Disney Gallery as the cast of Mandalorian talk about their roles and how they got them.

One upside of having churches near the plaza where I am at: I've heard two bell melodies at the quarter to the hour time marks prior to 5pm this week. Rather nice change of soundscape (note_I am not a fan of the 7pm pot bangers at one local condo-it goes on well past one minute on weeknights and it's noise to my ears).

Cannot wait for thrift stores and clothing stores to reopen. At least two pairs of socks are just about done and I could use a couple more t-shirts. Though my long-sleeved tops and my gloves have seen plenty of wear in May--how odd to admire such things in spring but 2020 is a humdinger and carb-loading one! I'm almost over the online shopping euphoria--the adrenaline runs out about two days after an order since the delivery time is so long.

Mom pointed out on Thurs night that I had two bags of cooked food in the freezer. They were unlabelled bags of my last batch of stuffed pepper soup. I had one bag thawed for today's use and enjoyment (did not last long) and I'll use the second one on Monday. Last night, I felt my sweet tooth demanding a treat, so a pot of creamy rice pudding was made. I think I last made rice pudding in January.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Yay to next week's yard waste pickup collection! Seriously looking towards each and every collection week this spring to mark that it is indeed spring.

Coupon alert for Tootsie shoe shoppers-the community paper wrap for Hamilton News has a 30% off coupon (off of original price of one item) for when the stores reopen. Coupon expires in early August (10th).

Thrilled that there are no fireworks allowed this weekend. I anticipate hearing music and smells of bbq food on grills from neighbouring properties instead as everyone catches fresh air and attempts to enjoy the outdoors.

I might make tea using the good china on Monday to remember Queen Victoria's fascination with cutlery and eating etiquette. I should consider making muffins or tea biscuits.

Time to wrap up my Internet journey today. May everyone find something good to remember about today!
    May 19* update-Tootsies coupon is 35% off.
    Last edited by Ciel; Tue, May 19th, 2020 at 05:36 PM.
    Giseledta and barbis9 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

evening almost -well i have one more pickup at fortinos then i am done i think with the pickup groceries -mind you i may be a little anxious at first when I go grocery shopping .

I would love to order a cloth mask online any tips ?I tried looking at stitch it but found no website to order from .
    My dear son has holidays this week so we may social distance with them.

Ordered a new whipper snipper for the yard ,rona had on sale well ship to store for curbside pickup just turned into 3 weeks -oh well .Hubby wanted a power washer so home depot will be delivering to us as that was more 2 weeks ,they are saying .

Today I actually sat on my neighbour veranda (she has a really long one ) we chatted 6 feet apart it was so nice to talk ,as I have been a little down lately .

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Coupon Girl, I seem to think you have said you do not use Facebook but if you know someone who does, in our area a lot of people locally are selling Fabric Masks. We made our own but I know many have said when they looked online to buy and have shipped it was going to be quite a long wait to get them and they needed something quicker than 3 to 6 weeks.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

We have also decided to safely widen the circle. BFF offered her DH to remove our snow tires and this to me was safer than a stranger. We took the opportunity to walk and chat and I personally believe the risk to people’s mental health in many cases is as great as Covid. My mom lives alone and several weeks ago suffered a significant injury so I drove back again last night after work. Last week I only took groceries and did a quick check and left and I was heartbroken to do so. Yesterday we picked up dinner, the older one came with me and we stayed to visit at a safe distance, I was able to help with some household tasks and put her groceries away and see that she is recovering. She was able to have much needed interaction and we all felt so much better afterwards. @coupongirl check out Refillery Market. They are online and just in Oakville/Burlington and will deliver and I suspect your area is in their zone.
    I picked up my flowers today from the church sale and they are lovely. I have had no luck finding kale and parsley so may be forced to hit a real garden centre. I may wait until next weekend and do a curb side order.
    Giseledta, barbis9, Ciel and 2 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Good Evening Everyone,
    Oh what a day.

Laundry is done and folded just needs to be put away.

I decided to do the Kitchen Floor, I was a little bit frustrated so I only swept the floor, I did not mop it, this turned out to be a good thing. it seemed like this afternoon we kept spilling things on the floor so yeah, happy I did not mop it or I would have been so frustrated.

I tried to get Mom to help me in the basement, that was a strong no go, but some how I convinced her to help me clean our Wall Pantry in our Kitchen, wow what a task this was. We emptied the whole thing cleaned it out (this is how stuff kept ending up on the floor, apparently at some point a bin of baking soda fell spilled all over the base of the pantry and was not cleaned up). Not a lot was thrown out, there was a few things shoved in the back we had to get rid of but for the most part it was just cleaning and organizing. We now have so much room in the pantry.

Since we now have more room in the pantry tomorrow we will tackle the spice drawer and spice shelf as well as the cubes in the hallway. Yes, this may sound weird, these are from our old house it is actually where I stored my clothes but when we moved they did not fit in my room so they were supposed to go to the basement, they only made it the hallway which is where they have lived ever since. Tomorrow we hope to empty the cubes and either use them as temporary storage in the Dinning Room until we can get our new side board or move them down to the basement.

It felt really good to get back into the groove of getting things done around the house. It has motivated me to keep moving forward and see what else we can tackle around the house.

Off to work on this week's meal plan, I noticed there are a few dishes we have not eaten but when I suggest them I am not getting a good response. So I want to come up with new dishes using the same protein and see if I get a better response.

Giseledta and Ciel like this.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst ... 5 13 14 15 16 17 25 ... LastLast

Thread Information