User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree70Likes

Thread: flashfood app saves big on groceries

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

https://www.flashfood.com/

Flashfood is an app available in the google playstore and the apple app store.

It's like "too good to go" but for groceries. It seems that in my area, only the loblaws family of stores are participating:

Real canadian superstore
    No frills
    The independent
    Zehrs

These stores post deals throughout the day. The products are at or near their 'best before' dates. You can explore the offers by using the map to check on stores near you.

I've seen offers on beef (early in the day), pork, chicken, a box of veg, box of fruit, baked goods, shampoo..... so just about everything.

You can click on what you want, pay using visa or debit and then go to the store to pick up.

Once again, the deals change throughout the day so keep checking.

Happy shopping!
    This thread is currently associated with: Apple, Independent, Loblaws, No Frills, Real Canadian Superstore RCSS, Zehrs

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

My issue with Flashfood in my area is that the large majority of items are priced at 50% off the regular price. For me, that's not much of a deal for things that are at or very close to their best before dates, especially considering that there are times when Flashfood's 50% off price is higher than the price when that item is on sale. That said, I keep using the app because there are also some times when really good bargains do get posted, just not nearly as often as I'd like to see.
    Purdee, walkonby, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree that if food is within 1 or 2 days of the Best Before date, then it should be 75-80% off. RCSS is just too greedy for their own good and insulting to their customers. You want to hold onto your product so badly with that high price? Go ahead, keep it and throw it in the trash (or LOOP re-cycling). Either way, those greedy schmucks earn nothing from it. Good riddance to you.

I see deli meat going for only 50% off in FlashFood, but someone is still buying it for $10/kg. I think they are nuts. I wait until I find a price of $4/kg before I buy. I have to wait longer to find such deals, but the satisfaction is just that much greater.
    lilo0003 and Ciel21 like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I am not a fan, but I blame that squarely on my local RCSS as I used to find great deals at the MLC Loblaws pre pandemic like name brand bagels for 25 cents. my RCSS does not understand clearance and the prices are ridiculous. Why would I pay 1.50 for NN bagels about to expire when I can buy them off the shelf for 1.44 and earn PCO. The YIG close to my moms place quit using Flashfood and when back to the pink stickers and the deals are amazing. I picked up 15 amazing looking jalapeños for 1.50. They were still good a week later and then I froze the rest.
    That said I still check the app like a dissatisfied girlfriend every time I am in RCSS.
    Purdee, walkonby, alex78 and 2 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

RCSS are simply too short-sighted and simple-minded to really know how to valuate FlashFood. One RCSS deli used to sell the meat more often at $4/kg to clear out old stock. Then, they thought they got smart and pushed it out to FlashFood for only 50% off. Customers thought that 50% was a pretty good discount and still bought it (even when it was $10/kg). They would even take staff time to slice it all up into smaller portion bags. They spend all that time, labour, and plastic bags to make smaller portions and end up throwing out most of the bags. On the other hand, I asked to buy the entire chub (unsliced) at a better reduced price, but guaranteeing that they at least make some money on the transaction overall, and am refused. They would rather have a worker waste 20-30 minutes running that slicer back and forth to cut up an entire 10lb chub. I've stopped trying to reason with them. If they don't offer it to me at the price and portion I desire, let them toss it. There's just no arguing with stupid.
    Purdee, lilo0003 and Ciel21 like this.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I loved this app when it first started but again it varied by store.

I only have one store locally that participates and they have always been a bit disappointing to me. They mainly post organic/specialty products with very low discounts. They will post organic yogurts with a best-before date of tomorrow (I know you can eat it past the expiry date) and only mark it down $0.50. So you have a $6.99 yogurt mark it down to $6.49. Not that I would ever buy this yogurt but for the extra $0.50 I might as well get one with a longer expiry date.

The store closest to my work was AMAZING when Flash App first launched, I think they were one of the first stores in our area to join. I remember getting the big tubs of Baby Spinach for $0.49, Cottage Cheese for $0.49. One time I came back with a grocery bag full of groceries I got $3.50 and everyone in the office was shocked. Now the best they do is 50% off.

But, I do every time I am at work check the app and see if maybe, just maybe there is something of interest but honestly, I cannot remember the last time I purchased anything off the app.
    walkonby, HermanH and Ciel21 like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Thank you for the thread. Have not used this. Like others here, I am still old school and do not use this app. Still 'hunt' for deals in store and get the .44 clearance Loblaws group of stores deals or .97 clearance Costco deals.

Happy for those SCers that score big on Flash Food!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Had a look at the offers in my area, and sadly it was abysmal. Both Atlantic Superstore and Sobeys here love feeding their large green compost bins too much.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

ty @heartgirl99 for including me in this app offer. I'm still a dinosaur, no cell phone, not now, not ever so no apps. I still hunt through the reduced racks for produce at any store still doing that.
    Purdee, coupon girl and Ciel21 like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

you're not missing any deal - flashfood app sucks - you may get lucky with the produce box for $5 once in a blue moon but as other posted their so called deals are only 50% off with very short expiry date and sometimes not much cheaper than regular priced items with PC points.

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    ty @heartgirl99 for including me in this app offer. I'm still a dinosaur, no cell phone, not now, not ever so no apps. I still hunt through the reduced racks for produce at any store still doing that.
    mulock, walkonby, HermanH and 1 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Purdee View Post
    you're not missing any deal - flashfood app sucks - you may get lucky with the produce box for $5 once in a blue moon but as other posted their so called deals are only 50% off with very short expiry date and sometimes not much cheaper than regular priced items with PC points.
    Sometimes, the price on the floor is actually cheaper than the FlashFood discounted price. Once, I thought about getting a carton of juice from FF, but my RCSS Girl Friday told me to just grab one from the floor, as it was cheaper. Guess they thought that they could pull a fast-one and that some app users would simply assume that the FF price was the lowest.
    Purdee, mulock and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

YMMV, but I'm sure I miss a number of the best deals in my area because I don't check the app very often. I've seen deals sell out while I was trying to place my order. After that of course, they no longer show up in the app, so if I had looked a couple of minutes later, I would never have known about those deals.
    Ciel21 likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I like the app--it is hit and miss. Here's an example of a recent order. The meat I froze. I'm happy to eat yogurt after it's stamped date, and this is the kind I like.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    GoodBoy and Ciel21 like this.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

it is hit or miss. i have 3 no frills, 2 zehrs, 2 superstores close by. i'll check the app if i'm going somewhere near one of the stores. i've done well on the $5 assorted veg and fruit boxes.

i guess some areas are better than others.
    walkonby likes this.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

i still check the app and yesterday my local rcss had a produce box for $10 - up from $5. I don't get it. I picked up a largest bag of washed/chopped romaine 907g in the fridge section for $1.94 with Feb 15 expiry date.
    Ciel21 likes this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information