User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: $1 per day 3 meals challenge

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Can you eat in Canada for $1 per day.
    -Some very creative videos include hunting squirrels, rabbit, fish, foraging and restaurant challenges.
    -
    30 days with $30 is more realistic. Volunteering in exchange for food and leftovers. Buy carton of eggs, French bread, bags of rice & beans at a regular grocery store is filling and nutritious, Visiting fast food places for condiments.
    -E
    ating for free by using apps. Free items when you sign up for app. Birthday free food. Asking for free water. Collecting food from strangers. Free samples in stores. Online advertising of food places in exchange for free food. Found food walking along the sidewalk. Asking fast food employees for anything free. Free to almost free food on grocery store apps
    -weekly senior's day events.
    -Food banks and meal programs for eligible individuals and families.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    HermanH likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by sirandrewr View Post
    Can you eat in Canada for $1 per day.
    -Some very creative videos include hunting squirrels, rabbit, fish, foraging and restaurant challenges.
    -
    30 days with $30 is more realistic. Volunteering in exchange for food and leftovers. Buy carton of eggs, French bread, bags of rice & beans at a regular grocery store is filling and nutritious, Visiting fast food places for condiments.
    -E
    ating for free by using apps. Free items when you sign up for app. Birthday free food. Asking for free water. Collecting food from strangers. Free samples in stores. Online advertising of food places in exchange for free food. Found food walking along the sidewalk. Asking fast food employees for anything free. Free to almost free food on grocery store apps
    -weekly senior's day events.
    -Food banks and meal programs for eligible individuals and families.
    I can't do it for $1 (easily), but I might be close. I can do it for $3/day, comfortably and without huge effort.

If you must volunteer or beg for food, that is 'cheating'. It would be the same to include theft of food or use of a food bank, in order to get below $1/day. IMO, only legally sustainable sources and methods open to everyone should be considered, when trying to make the $1 or $3/day goal.

I harvest the city fruit trees every year and a neighbour's. Last time, it yielded over 800 pounds of apples. I made apple sauce of the ones I could not eat and froze them to eat over 2 years time. All my fruit/veg dietary requirement. All free.

Also go a few hundred pounds of free public pears. No one else bothers to gather them.

The underlying premise is: You cannot afford to eat anything that you have not cooked for yourself.
    Ciel21 likes this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by HermanH View Post
    I do it for $100 / month. Here's how:

Daily requirements:
    750mL dairy (or 6 slices of cheese)
    225g meat
    225g grains and cereals
    454g fruit vegetables

Discounted dairy sells for $1/litre or $2 for 22 slices of cheese on sale. Daily cost $0.55
    RCSS 4x pounds lean turkey for $10 frozen = Daily cost $1.25
    Walmart discounted bread $0.61 / lb = $0.31 daily
    Walmart discounted fruit & veg (approx. $2 / 3 lb) = $0.66 daily

$0.55
    $1.25
    $0.31
    $0.66

$2.80 daily cost of food

Anyone can do it. Most are just too lazy to care or bother. They would rather sit on the couch and whine about how unfair the world is, while they eat hugely expensive and unhealthy Pringles.
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/7240422-post11.html

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Walmart discounted fruit & veg (approx. $2 / 3 lb) = $0.66 daily
    Walmart is discontinuing its $1, $2, or $3 clearance bags for fruits and veggies. Need to re-think this part of the budget.
    Last edited by HermanH; Mon, Aug 28th, 2023 at 04:57 AM.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Have you tried "Too Good To Go" app?

The bread deal from my local Metro cost $5.99+tax, often gives you enough food for a week. Last week, I got a full size Strawberry Rhubarbs pie, a bag of Garlic Toasts(about 680g), a bag of one-bite brownies, 6 bagels, 6 mid-size donuts, 2 asiago pretzels.

The challenge of $1/day is perhaps nutrition. It's hard to get fruits and veggies. Bananas is usually the cheapest options, and it's about 25 cents each.

$100 a month is perhaps more realistic.
    harbie and HermanH like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Walmart is discontinuing its $1, $2, or $3 clearance bags for fruits and veggies. Need to re-think this part of the budget.
    Those produce bags still exist in Ancaster ON at the Walmart Supercentre. I am surprised as family members bring home bananas or mixed fruit bags home each week.
    HermanH likes this.
    "This is the Way." The Mandalorian

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel21 View Post
    Those produce bags still exist in Ancaster ON at the Walmart Supercentre. I am surprised as family members bring home bananas or mixed fruit bags home each week.
    Enjoy it while it lasts. The Walmart next door to me told me that they are the flagship for the region and they have discontinued use of the discount bags. Many others locations have already done the same. I still see the rare appearance of discount bags, but I suspect that they are only doing so to use up their remaining stockpile.

Now, they only reduce the overall price of the contents; usually 50% of retail price. That means they are often still well over $1/lb and thus waaay too much for rotting produce. I am still trying to find produce for $0.50/lb; it is much more difficult, but still (barely) possible.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

So far our WM is playing the reduced produce bag game well. Guess we're lucky!

https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/361649...4/#post7243876

babies teach us acceptance

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hi! Are you saying all walmart's are discontinuing the clearance bags?

Sent from my SM-A115W using Tapatalk
    Skippy and HermanH like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by budgetnewb View Post
    Hi! Are you saying all walmart's are discontinuing the clearance bags?
    Yes, their regional flagship store staff told me that discount bags will be discontinued throughout Canada, it is just a matter of time.
    Skippy and budgetnewb like this.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

The discontinuation must have started in the Western provinces because Ontario WM's still running the programme.
    Skippy and budgetnewb like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    The discontinuation must have started in the Western provinces because Ontario WM's still running the programme.
    Still at our local WM here in the Shwa
    walkonby and HermanH like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    Still at our local WM here in the Shwa
    I'd like nothing better than for WM to reverse their decision.

I know that quality was different between stores. One store might have mushy produce with a half-centimetre of leaked juice in a bag, while another store would give higher quality (but less weight) per bag. The discount bags were my only hope of getting sufficient quantities for a healthy diet.

I am noticing that racks that once were swarmed by eager purchasers are no longer generating such interest, with many bags sitting ignored and just getting thrown away. I think that WM got greedy and thought they could get away with giving less value. However, they may be justified, in the end. After all, where else can you go to get produce discounts of any kind? My RCSS will only offer 30% at their clearance rack and seem to be quite happy to throw items away, if they do not sell. Do the RCSS stores in the Shwa ever offer 50% discount?
    Skippy likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I'd like nothing better than for WM to reverse their decision.

I know that quality was different between stores. One store might have mushy produce with a half-centimetre of leaked juice in a bag, while another store would give higher quality (but less weight) per bag. The discount bags were my only hope of getting sufficient quantities for a healthy diet.

I am noticing that racks that once were swarmed by eager purchasers are no longer generating such interest, with many bags sitting ignored and just getting thrown away. I think that WM got greedy and thought they could get away with giving less value. However, they may be justified, in the end. After all, where else can you go to get produce discounts of any kind? My RCSS will only offer 30% at their clearance rack and seem to be quite happy to throw items away, if they do not sell. Do the RCSS stores in the Shwa ever offer 50% discount?
    @HermanH I believe you're correct about the greedy aspect of stores(not just WM) as 50% off use to be the norm for clearing out stuff and now it's 30%
    The only exception I've seen to this is 50%off bakery stuff at No Frills.
    walkonby and HermanH like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Skippy View Post
    @HermanH I believe you're correct about the greedy aspect of stores(not just WM) as 50% off use to be the norm for clearing out stuff and now it's 30%
    The only exception I've seen to this is 50%off bakery stuff at No Frills.
    I do not visit NoFrills often. Isn't each location a private franchisee, who has some discretion on pricing and discounts? I cannot ever remember seeing a 50% discount for baked goods, but I wasn't looking all that closely, either.
    Skippy likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information