User Tag List

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
Like Tree1604Likes

Thread: January 2024 Frugal Chatter thread (it's a leap year!)

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was in the same basic situation; I wanted something to suck air and seal the bag.

I could not find a new one at a reasonable price, so I bought a used one for $10 from a thrift store. The suction was not reliable, the sealing process was sufficient. I would suck out as much air as possible with a straw, first. I found another unit later and it has a better vacuum function. If you buy a used one, be certain to test at the store to be sure that you will be happy.

IMO, the real killer is the bags. I just use thicker plastic bags and don't bother with the special (expensive) rolls specific to the machines.
    harbie, Purdee, barbis9 and 2 others like this.
    My food may not befit a king, but I eat like a horse.

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

@Purdee we have a food saver and have had it for more years than I can count. We love it, it is how we process all of our meats for the freezer. The bags can be expensive but we buy generic bags from Amazon (Uline has them too but shipping makes Amazon cheaper).

I believe we bough our years ago from Costco and want to say it was around $80, now they go on sale for around $100-$120. Ours has lasted us years and when the times come it will be replaced.
    harbie, Purdee, barbis9 and 4 others like this.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,
    follow along as tackle day to day life and whatever else 2021 throws at me:

https://www.instagram.com/thelife.ofsassy

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

@Purdee as I mentioned in the rep comment to you I did buy the real Foodsaver unit new. ( very decent sale at CT and used some GC's the kids gave me to save more ). I have always used the actual bags that go with that machine, I just waited for sales to come around. Tbh, if I had purchased this a decade earlier than I did I would have gotten almost daily use out of it. With the kids grown and moved there is less demand for items to be vacuum sealed and frozen. Hope you can find a good one, I would steer clear of the Thrift store ones, they are IN there for a reason, you may be buying the previous owner's broken machine.
    harbie, Purdee, barbis9 and 2 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Thank you guys. I saw some cheaper ones on Amazon - not the real food saver. Too many choices.
    harbie, barbis9, walkonby and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Thanks walkonby for the virtual hugs.

I feel better except for running to the ladies room twice today ,so that will determine where i go for groceries ,pretty sad when they lock the bathroom doors at giant tiger and no frills then you have to hunt an employee down.A major beef of mine .

The grocery flyers wow is all i can say ,no great specials and dont get me going on fresh berries .Last time i bought sugar i paid 1.88 and got limit of 4 at freshco now i see it is 2.99 everywhere.walkonby the campbells soup was a good deal at giant tiger .67 i notice fortinos has it this week for .88 and that i would like to stock up on a bit.I guess we have to try to hunt down the deals.

I just washed my twin bedding in the spare room where i sleep when i am sick or hubby is snooring too loud,notice i may need to buy new twin bed sheets last ones i got at walmart 24.99 a few years ago.

No wonder it made my day yesterday getting wrapping paper for .45 cents a roll and it is red lines with silver ,so i can use it anytime .I still left 2 for someone else thou i wish people would just leave some cpns that are out there for others,not rip off more than they can use.Spread the wealth.

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

I also did not see a lot in the flyers this week but there were a couple deals I wanted to grab. I figured since it was a smaller shopping week I would grab a few things that never go on sale and we need. I got:

1 x Almond Milk $2.99
    2 x Apples 6lbs $3.99 + 2000 pts/bag (Flyer Special)
    1 x No Name Mushrooms 680g $4.50 + 200 pts (50/$) (Yay!!! they had white mushrooms again)
    1 x Cantaloupe $1.99
    1 x Whole Chicke $1.99/lb
    1 x Hot Dog Buns 18-pack $3.49 + 300 pts (100/$)
    1 x Graham Crackers $4.79
    1 x Graham Crumbs $3.99
    1 x Chocolate Crumbs $3.99

The Graham Crackers, Crumbs and Chocolate Crumbs are to restock after Christmas as we are out.

I know there is a thread on this but what is up with the low points value 50 pts/$ on mushrooms I used to always get 100pts/$. Plus I have noticed on some my regular offers it used to be if I used thm, they were back next week, not anymore. If I use them they disappear for a few weeks and now I wonder if they will be at a lower points value.

Seriously, I might have to start buying more at Costco if this is how things are going to go. I am already buying my Mini Cucumbers there I can get a 2lb bag for $5.99 where is No Frills has reduced the size of their family packs from 15 to 11 and the price is now either $5.99 or $6.99 depending on the week. I won't stop shopping the sales but if Costco is going to be comparable I will just do larger shops there.
    2022 is going to be my year, the year I find organization in my life and the year I focus on myself,

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

@SassyAshley don’t get me started about PC offers . Not only do I get low offers like you but I also get offers for meat, dairy and eggs all of which I haven’t purchased since 2018/2019. Then to top it off I constantly have to submit missing points requests. Poor Galen must really need the $$$$.

Once again I had to request missing points for the PC coffee I purchased. This has happened the last 4 times I’ve purchased it. Of course they now wanted a screenshot of the offer that expired yesterday which I didn’t take but will from now on. After a few strongly worded emails I was given my points!

So on Tuesday I went to NF to grab some stuff before the snow hit and got:

2x PC ground coffee $13.99
    1x PC dirty chia tea $3.00
    total $30.98 *
    3000 pts/ $20 in coffee/tea
    4500 pts/ $30 in coffee/tea
    5400 pts/ personal offer
    12,900 points for the coffee and tea ( one was almost free)

1x bag potatoes ( couldn’t wait for todays better price) 700 pts
    1x NN bulk spice 200 pts

Total points 13,800 not too bad I guess but that’s because I don’t get enough good offers for vegan options other than occasional mushrooms, potatoes and apples.

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

The freezing rain is on it’s way but currently snowing. So after a 20 min walk in the snow I’m making a creamy cauliflower and potato soup. It smells so good.

Going to make sure all devices are fully charged in case of power outages which they are expecting. I’ll also boil water to outperform thermos’s if we still have power in the morning. Off to take a shower before bed just in case .

Have a great night everyone

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

Morning ,shovelled half the driveway yesterday ,small amount 2inches about very light .I just wanted some fresh air.

Cashed out my checkout51 and caddle had $49.60 total from both .

Slept so good last night woke up at 3.00 a.m went back to sleep til 8.00 a.m .I didnt even hear the garbage trucks which i usually do .

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

Sleep is a good thing @coupon girl . Get lots of it and if you have any extra please send it my way

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Websaver did my auto deposit today, I know it can take ages to get the 10.00 but they are so easy to deal with. I am currently on hold with the bank, honestly there is a reason I choose to not have a physical bank but do they have to make it so hard, I just moved money in from an investment for the renovation and now they are giving me grief about spending my money as I want as I need to transfer to the contractor so it said to call them and 29 minutes later i am still on hold. .
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    54 (100%)

TGIF!

Needed to get away so used points for a free hotel room for the night. Left 1st thing this morning and am working from the room.
    Went to the steam room and pool on my lunch break Enjoying a tea now and then will go walk around after I am finished work.

RE: Loblaws. I find my shopping there is less and less these days. Terrible point offers. Sale and regular prices are terrible. Shopping where I find the deals.
    Have so many PC pts but I will wait for a good meat sale.. Hopefully MAY 24 will bring good meat deals. By then we will probably have lots of room in the freezer

Have a wonderful weekend!

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Just got this update in my news feed but cannot recall where I saw the Loblaws post about them switching the discount stickers from 50% off to 30% off.
    Appears enough complaints rolled in and they have abandoned the plan ( for now? )

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/lobl...tion-1.6734246
    harbie, barbis9, lilo0003 and 1 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

Three things.

1) Was it public outcry or the possibility of being investigated can we say Bread Price Fixing Scandal?

2) Will we actually see 50% off stickers in our stores? Seems like many people I spoke to were already saying long before this announcement they weren't see 50% stickers in their local stores.

3) Maybe that explains why No Frills was full of 50% off stickers in the Produce & Bakery section but the Meat Section was still using 30% off stickers. This is the first time in well over a year I saw 50% stickers in my local No Frills.

Quote Originally Posted by walkonby View Post
    Just got this update in my news feed but cannot recall where I saw the Loblaws post about them switching the discount stickers from 50% off to 30% off. But my question is how long will stay before they quietly switch back to 30% off.
    Appears enough complaints rolled in and they have abandoned the plan ( for now? )

https://www.ctvnews.ca/business/lobl...tion-1.6734246
    Last edited by SassyAshley; Fri, Jan 19th, 2024 at 06:32 PM.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

I never see the 50% off in my city in Ontario and for transparency I live in Oakville and shop in both Mississauga and Burlington and don’t see 50% ever. In Nova Scotia I see it all the time and on lots of items. If you time it right you can do most of your meat shopping at 50% off. But like Ontario the Flashfood leaves a lot to be desired.
    It’s Friday ignite so DH and ds1 went to the legion with my father in law for fish and chips so I had pasta with butter. And honestly it’s one of my favourite meals. I love the simplicity and I get to have angel hair pasta which is my fav.
    harbie, barbis9, walkonby and 2 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread Information