User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Baby formula question

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

By best I mean the one that babies have less problems with. I'm struggling to know which one I'm gonna buy between Nestlé, Similac and Enfamil. My baby boy is due in june, I still have time to choose. I wanted to see what you use and if you have any issue with some formula.
    Please help me out

Thank you!!!

*** PLEASE NO NEGATIVE COMMENTS BECAUSE I'M USING FORMULA ***
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

I have 2 kids - since the hospital provided me with the rtf enfamil a+, that is what i started both out on. However, my son couldn't digest enfamil a+ and would always puke after his bottle. So I switched him to enfamil a+ gentlease and he had no problems after that. When I had my daughter, I started her out on enfamil a+ gentlease (since it worked well with my son), however, after a couple months on it, she started having problems digesting it so I switched her to enfamil a+ and she has been on that since then with no problems. I tried Nestle Goodstart on her, but she hated it so we just stuck with enfamil.
    I wouldn't advise to stock up or choose a formula until after your baby is born - then you can see which one he likes or agrees with him.
    Natalka likes this.

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by angel_2011 View Post
    I have 2 kids - since the hospital provided me with the rtf enfamil a+, that is what i started both out on. However, my son couldn't digest enfamil a+ and would always puke after his bottle. So I switched him to enfamil a+ gentlease and he had no problems after that. When I had my daughter, I started her out on enfamil a+ gentlease (since it worked well with my son), however, after a couple months on it, she started having problems digesting it so I switched her to enfamil a+ and she has been on that since then with no problems. I tried Nestle Goodstart on her, but she hated it so we just stuck with enfamil.
    I wouldn't advise to stock up or choose a formula until after your baby is born - then you can see which one he likes or agrees with him.
    I wasn't planning to buy some before he's born. I've some sample from nestle, simillac and enfamil. Thank you for the response it helps!

Trading Score
    76 (100%)

first off congratulations on your new son. my son is also due in June.

Quote Originally Posted by bibiee View Post
    I wasn't planning to buy some before he's born. I've some sample from nestle, simillac and enfamil. Thank you for the response it helps!

I was going to suggest that you sign up for the formula samples and try all of them that you get free. (although i see you already got the samples) that way you can see what works for your son. to be honest there is no best formula since all kids are different so its just trial and error. keep in mind that some kids cant stomach milk based formula and have to have soy based or have allergies and need special formulas that aren't available over the counter. (I don't know anything about those formulas but on a parenting forum i read someone had to buy special formula from the pharmacy that needed a doctors prescription.)

I breastfed my son however for the first week or 2 i needed to supplement with formula until my milk came in fully and i could produce enough to keep up with his demand. those formula samples from the companies really helped a lot and the hospital also gave us some samples of ready to drink formula. i didn't use them all but most were given to my sister when she had her baby (some were expired and thrown out). I signed up for the formula samples again this time (you can sign up every time you have a new baby) in case i need to supplement again or for some reason i wont be able to nurse.
    Intergalactic Proton Powered Electrical Tentacled Advertising Droids!

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

I've always liked the Enfamil. Gentlease for the baby when he's very young and seems to get gassy or colicky, and Enfamil A+ or Enfapro A+ the rest of the time. I started with Good Start with DS 1, and he seemed to have trouble with it. I also noticed that Enfamil kept the poops yellow, while the Good Start turned them grey. Enfamil mixes really well from powder, where Good Start is more likely to form lumps.

Unfortunately, Enfamil A+ is probably the most expensive now because of their tub and refill system. They do seem to have more available coupons than the other companies do, though. I'm planning on trying some of the generic formula when DS #2 is over 6 months and has a less sensitive digestive system! Maybe I can save some money then.

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Minou View Post
    I've always liked the Enfamil. Gentlease for the baby when he's very young and seems to get gassy or colicky, and Enfamil A+ or Enfapro A+ the rest of the time. I started with Good Start with DS 1, and he seemed to have trouble with it. I also noticed that Enfamil kept the poops yellow, while the Good Start turned them grey. Enfamil mixes really well from powder, where Good Start is more likely to form lumps.

Unfortunately, Enfamil A+ is probably the most expensive now because of their tub and refill system. They do seem to have more available coupons than the other companies do, though. I'm planning on trying some of the generic formula when DS #2 is over 6 months and has a less sensitive digestive system! Maybe I can save some money then.
    I was planning to try Nestlé Good start first (because its cheaper). But with what you've told me I'll try Enfamil first. (I can't remember which Enfamil sample they've send me ) I'll have to search in my stockpile soon. Anyway whatever it cost as long as my baby is alright I don't mind to sell my kidney.
    Thank you for the response it really helps!
    Last edited by bibiee; Thu, Apr 26th, 2012 at 05:21 PM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I used Walmart brand liquid concentrate right off the bat. It has the same ingredients and nutritional information as Enfamil, plus I found liquid easier to make, just add 1 can of water to 1 can concentrate, put in fridge and warm as needed. congrats on your little one.

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by teegansmom View Post
    I used Walmart brand liquid concentrate right off the bat. It has the same ingredients and nutritional information as Enfamil, plus I found liquid easier to make, just add 1 can of water to 1 can concentrate, put in fridge and warm as needed. congrats on your little one.
    I'll have to check this one. Thanks!

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

I breastfed until 5.5 months, so I don't have experience with tiny infants But I used powdered Walmart brand formula when I switched, and never had any problems. I bought some liquid Walmart brand before I had my second baby as backup, haven't had to use it yet.

Trading Score
    287 (100%)

I used Enfamil A+ with my first son, (only because that was the formula they had in the hospital and gave me a great stock of it, before I went home) and had no issues.
    I used Similac with my second son (again, only because that was the formula they were using in the hospital and they gave me lots to take home), again no issues. They are basically the same... I was able to trade for lots of $5 Similac cheques on here and I saved a lot by doing this!

Trading Score
    234 (100%)

If you do decide to go the Enfamil route, nearly every week some grocery store will have it on sale (the powder) and with the $5 coupon (which I got tons of by trading) you can get it really cheap. Also since Walmart price matches, I usually like to go there to get my formula and other baby stuff (I think last week or a few weeks back, it was on sale somewhere for $24 and with the coupon, it came to $19).

Trading Score
    185 (100%)

I'll ask my hospital when I'll go visit if they give formula. I hope they do, a freebie is a freebie
    Thanks everyone

Trading Score
    42 (100%)

I used Nestle, b/c it was the only formula gentle enough on DD's tummy. That being said, they are HORRIBLE for coupons outside of the Nestle Backpack. Go with whatever works for you, but if Enfamil or Similac work, they have far better coupons and go on sale more frequently IMHO. Congratulations!
    "There are more important things--friendship and bravery...."
    -Hermione Granger

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Congrats on your son! My son is almost 1 so we are in the process of switching to milk. We had a lot of problems with breastfeeding (he refused after 2 months). I pumped until we was almost 8 months but almost from the start, I had problems with my supply. So we started to supplement (he got about 1 bottle of formula a day). My hospital gave me lots of samples of Enfamil A+ which he loved. We tried the other major brands (because we got the samples in the mail) and he didn't do well on them. Every baby is different. My friend's swore by Similac but my son HATED it! I would recommend starting with what your hospital has. Once you find one that he likes, you can compare the ingredients to other brands such as Walmart, Kirkland (Costco), PC etc and see if you can find a similar match. My son loved Enfamil A+ until they changed their packaging. I think they changed the formula as well as he started to spit up quite a bit and it didn't dissolve the same way. We ended up switching him to PC organic which he loved when I stopped pumping (I try to give as much organic foods as possible to him, so I was pleased with offering organic formula). I believe the PC organic was $23.99 but we were able to stock up when it went on sale for $19.99. Good luck!!!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

We tried several different formulas for our daughter but found Nestle Goodstart to be awful for her. We did like Enfamil Gentlease but the new packaging is so expensive. We compared the Parents Choice Gentle formula to the Enfamil Gentlease and they seemed to be pretty close, we switched her to that and she has been doing really well on it. And the bonus it usually comes on sale quite often for 12.97 a can.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information