Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Walmart plans to compete with DOLLARAMA

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i saw the section already in the welland store

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have been tracking prices of the items I regularly buy at Walmart and they are constantly changing their prices. I bought a bunch of Allens apple juice for $1 a can. A few days later the price had jumped to $1.47! There is some kind of cycle to their pricing and I don't fully understand it yet. I have picked a variety of items I use and record the price each week till I find out when my items are the cheapest.
    Last edited by frugalmom2; Mon, Aug 6th, 2012 at 10:22 AM.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    Until Thursday at 11 PM, the Neilson's 1 L chocolate milk is still $1 at Walmart superstores. Next week, the baby Pom is also $1. In March I bought tons of rapini to freeze - it was $1 a bunch.

I had said regular priced The items you are mentioning are sale items.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

As much as I like a deal and saving money, and I do shop at both WM and Dollarama so what I am about to say may be - well, will be hypocritical on a lot of levels - I am a bit concerned at society's overall need to pay less and less for items that unfortunately a lot of the times are as poor quality as their price reflects. I find as I get older, instead of buying a $15 Hoodie from Walmart, I'd rather pay twice/three times that for a better quality one that will last me a long time. Now I don't believe this is the case for every single item that I buy - Cheerios are still Cheerios no matter where I am buying them so of course I want the best price for a brand name item. And yes sometimes lower priced items can last longer than name brands which are a lot of packaging and marketing hype.

I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly. I remember looking at my rain boots that I bought last year from Zellers on clearance I was floored to see that they were Made in Canada. I just see so much less and less of this and it bothers me. Because I sometimes feel like in our quest to have the lowest price, we're screwing over ourselves and our livelihoods here in Canada.
    anisa, solarpower, lekate and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nightlite View Post
    As much as I like a deal and saving money, and I do shop at both WM and Dollarama so what I am about to say may be - well, will be hypocritical on a lot of levels - I am a bit concerned at society's overall need to pay less and less for items that unfortunately a lot of the times are as poor quality as their price reflects. I find as I get older, instead of buying a $15 Hoodie from Walmart, I'd rather pay twice/three times that for a better quality one that will last me a long time. Now I don't believe this is the case for every single item that I buy - Cheerios are still Cheerios no matter where I am buying them so of course I want the best price for a brand name item. And yes sometimes lower priced items can last longer than name brands which are a lot of packaging and marketing hype.

I don't know if I am explaining myself correctly. I remember looking at my rain boots that I bought last year from Zellers on clearance I was floored to see that they were Made in Canada. I just see so much less and less of this and it bothers me. Because I sometimes feel like in our quest to have the lowest price, we're screwing over ourselves and our livelihoods here in Canada.

I think the whole point of couponing is so you can decide where the money your saving goes. In some cases it is needed to make ends meet but eventually the savings catch up with you and you decide where to put the extra you are saving... to some it is a vacation... to some it is a nicer car... to some it is to have enough cash to pay the utility bill. Perhaps saving some money can mean you can buy more canadian made products... that is the beauty of taking charge or your money and working with coupons.

There is the other side of the coin. Couponers help stimulate the economy... we show as higher numbers spent at grocery stores and drug stores ect. If you were spending the same you would have less money and no stock at all. Now we spend less on our bank cards and purchase far more. It still translates to items sold to the manufacturer and stores... and used coupons count as a successful marketing stratagy.

I don't think your hypocritical... you are just evaluating to ensure your doing the best thing for yourself and others in the long term.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information