User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: May 2012 Budget Challenge

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by carebearhamm View Post
    I run my dishwasher on the shortest cycle too - I can't belive that you guys have this trouble with your Hydro bill - as i know Saskatchewan doesn't have this issue its based on use only.

My only cost saving tips is for the dryer is to hang dry your cloths - between the washer and dryer the dryer is the worst for power useage.
    Hanging clothes is also better for them, especially shirts with images on them, dryers can make them crack and look faded faster.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I'm over budget this month because I put a large payment on my student loans. Putting a lump sum payment saves me over $500 in interest payments over the course of a year. I went on repayment assistance and really worked towards saving money while I didn't have to make any payments and the government paid the interest. It meant really scrimping and saving, but it's worth it.
    Valiant and carebearhamm like this.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by matrix82 View Post
    I'm over budget this month because I put a large payment on my student loans. Putting a lump sum payment saves me over $500 in interest payments over the course of a year. I went on repayment assistance and really worked towards saving money while I didn't have to make any payments and the government paid the interest. It meant really scrimping and saving, but it's worth it.
    I wouldn't call that over budget - but great saving for my family $500 is almost a full month of food. We are planning to do that with our morgage - we can make a lump sum payment with out penalty so were putting every extra dime to wards that payment.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It does seem to be the way to go, if you can, lump sum payments. For us, $500 is over two months, close to 3 months of food.
    Try out the maven box by julep And code FREEFB, and get your box for one cent:
    Use this link
    http://www.julep.com/rewardsref/index/refer/id/2287/

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Last night we were talking with a friend who has become a daytrader - he has been studing and watching for over a couple of years before he started. it was really interesting to hear about his plan and his buy and sell plans. I don't think i will be jumping into the stock market any time soon but it was very interesting to learn.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by carebearhamm View Post
    Last night we were talking with a friend who has become a daytrader - he has been studing and watching for over a couple of years before he started. it was really interesting to hear about his plan and his buy and sell plans. I don't think i will be jumping into the stock market any time soon but it was very interesting to learn.
    I've been interested in stocks for awhile, was considering buying stocks for the big banks, seems like they really like their stock holders....

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Good for you, matrix! If there's a way to lump-sum payments on debts or obligations, that's usually the best way to deal with them.
    I've updated my budget on page 1, and will also add a link here asap to a great song I found on the internet, for everyone to enjoy.
    ( Valiant, the valley-ant )

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

ENJOY!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qghZ2ao7GKM

Link to building a solar cabin, and original songs by LaMar Alexander, including "I Am My Own Man", and others.
    Last edited by Valiant; Fri, May 11th, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

(how LaMar Alexander planned and built his cabin)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIl_Eq6vRZU
    Last edited by Valiant; Fri, May 11th, 2012 at 03:35 PM.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

First Paycheque Update

Quote Originally Posted by lekate View Post
    Expected income - 1500$
    Actual income - 796.20$ (so far, that includes pay and an OST cheque - I think)
    Variance +/-$?

Expenses
    Cell phone - 20/40$
    OSAP - 71$/71$
    MC Interest - 15/30$
    Alesse - 11/21$
    Transit - 50/94$

Variables
    Groceries - 116.03/300$
    Cats - 5/100$
    Misc./other - 70.04/100$
    Eating out - 32.05/125$
    Entertainment - 3.1/50$

Savings and Debt payments
    TFSA - 200$
    Savings - 200/68$ (I shoved extra money in here, waiting to find out how much exactly I owe in taxes.)
    MC - 100/200$
    I owe taxes so dipping into savings and 200$ from this month. Poop.

Goals
    - Stay on top of budgeting, I'm using Google Documents so I should be able to update and access from any computer, to see where I'm heading. (I've been keeping up with it more easily using Google Documents, going to stick with this from now on!)
    - Keeping bringing lunch into work, and not buying a bagel for breakfast from Tim Horton's. (Really been limiting eating out, made dinner last night with a friend last instead of going out - spaghetti squash with vegetables in a tomato sauce and garlic bread)
    - Use up the instant coffee I was given at work instead of buying coffee out and work on replacing morning coffee with tea. (Tasted watery, still getting a morning coffee from Tim's, but afternoon tea made at work, still want to get better quality tea just going to use up the Lipton stuff first)
    - Buy ticket to go to Montreal in the summer (OSHEAGA!) (And going to Montebello RockFest!, Summer is shaping up to be AWESOME)
    - Yard sale this month (Probably actually do this in June, plus try and sell things online, see if Ottawa area SCers want to pick up some of my things - clothes, 10 gallon fish tank, books and dvds)

I've been doing sooo good at not buying material items. It's been almost a month since I last bought a non-food/drink item. No books, no magazines, no clothes, nothing 'just because'. It feels great! I know I'm not helping to be a good little consumer like the economy would like, but hey I don't get paid well enough to be one! (Somewhat dropped the ball on this, picked up new summer sneakers, sunglasses since mine broke and headphones since those broke too, but that's it. Mostly wants but 'needs' to me!)
    I've also gotten in touch with someone about teaching English abroad, need to pick up some sealed transcripts from CU, while there probably get a book out of the university library that the public library doesn't have (poop). I also need to get other things in order, but I'm not sure how, will ask my contact about that!

Been going out for 1 hr walks with my bf and his mom's pup, she lives in my neighbourhood and he's been staying with her while she's been sick. Healthy exercise! I've been spending less time with him otherwise, I don't think he quite understands why I'm trying to focus on when/what I'm spending on. It's hard when he doesn't seem to understand the 'bigger' picture.

To help with my budgeting, I've broken each section down by week, so that I don't 'overdo' it at the beginning of the month and have nothing for fun later!

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

Anybody else doing their spring-cleaning?
    Not only is my home getting cleaner, I'm in better health from breathing less dust.
    Also, I've been searching for a good 'Turnover' recipe; I looked through 20 cookbooks, and couldn't find one, so I invented my own--used my basic piecrust recipe, but also added 2 eggs, used margarine instead of lard, and the crust is great for turnovers.
    Made slits in the top, then brushed with water, then sprinkled on sugar. These would probably sell well at the Farmer's Market.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

@valiant post #13, glad to hear that there is a solution to the barbecuing neighbours. Sorry to hear about the dogs, but it is not the dogs' fault. Wish the owners would pay more attention to their 4 legged "children".

The best outcome for me reading this thread each month is that we are looking very carefully at our grocery spending. If we don't need it, we don't buy it, even if it's a good price. The sales will come around again in 6 weeks or so, based on sales cycles.

Happy Mother's Day weekend to those celebrating!
    AmberLab likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Valiant View Post
    Anybody else doing their spring-cleaning?.
    i have been working at it slowly I got my master bedroom gutted but the rest of the house looks like I'm a horder. It's driving me nuts.

Trading Score
    103 (100%)

I've been dealing with emotional issues related to several serious family problems lately. Trying to work through various emotions and thoughts to reach closure, and this takes time and much searching for answers.
    As for my budget, things are good; I'm staying on track without too much trouble. I baked a batch of whole-wheat bread on Saturday, and plan to keep adding to my freezer to fill it up again. Also made another stockpot of vegetable soup, some for the fridge and 3 tubs for the freezer.
    Everything is coming along nicely in my garden and flower borders, but I need to take time to get to work on the digging and planting from now on. Violets are my favourite flower, and they are blooming fully now, here and there near my pebble-pond.
    The neighbour's dog and I are getting to be friends. When I'm out puttering in my backyard or having a cuppa on my patio, it likes to come up close to the fence and lie down, and we keep company.
    I've learned 3 more songs on my guitars; and have also been drinking a lot of green tea lately. This is something I do from time to time as a system detox, and with 'dandelion/pesticide/herbicide' season now in progress, it helps somewhat to control my own ill effects.
    Hope everyone is doing ok!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I've been doing really well. I have been having problems with my bf. Sometimes I don't think he understands. I've had a lot of financial problems in the past, and still chipping at at that consumer debt. I never want to be in that position again. I'm staying away from buying material items. I don't need more, and thus will not waste my money on them. I have lots of nice clothing that still fits perfectly well, so no point in buying more. I still struggle with wanting new things, wanting compliments or to be noticed. But it's not worth it.

The one part I feel I really struggle with him is eating out at restaurants/fast food. I've spent so much eating at restaurants that I just feel is goes to waste at the end of the day. Making food for myself at home is much cheaper. Other than social situations in which going out for restaurants is part of the experience I really want to move away from it. He thinks I'm cheap. But in reality I don't make enough money to be spending on crap like that. UGH. I don't care if he wants to eat out all the time and waste HIS money, but not mine!
    bobbiegirl2010 likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information