User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree179Likes

Thread: Why can't people spell colour correct!!!?????

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by AmberLab View Post
    I'm like you on that anisa - Ive plumb whore hout da h'edit butin.
    anisa and AmberLab like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

amberlab, i had to read that a couple of times! haha
    AmberLab and DaveP like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    amberlab, i had to read that a couple of times! haha
    I had to read it out loud to figure it out.

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP View Post

And here I thought you were a Caper! You're supposed to be as bad as me if not worse.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

When it comes to spelling and grammar it's important to realize that not everyone's first language is english. And others, like me, have learning disabilities and will never be perfect spellers, despite our best efforts. I couldn't for the life of me tell you whether colour had a u in Canada or not...not to mention that I often mix up english/french spellings of words that are the same in both languages. We aren't being careless or lazy, its simply the best that we can do.
    Natalka, KK7, GoJays and 2 others like this.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Ive plumb whore hout da h'edit butin.
    And here I thought you were a Caper! You're supposed to be as bad as me if not worse.

I was gonna say, only East Coasters are gonna get that but Dave just ruined that theory
    Last edited by alicia; Sat, May 12th, 2012 at 07:20 PM.
    anisa and AmberLab like this.
    Blog. Open an account with Tangerine (formerly ING-Direct) using my Orange Key (40643422S1), deposit $100 and we both get $50! Offer is available until December 31st. Check here for more details.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by alicia View Post

I was gonna say, only East Coasters are gonna get that but Dave just ruined that theory
    Oh, I'm an East coaster, but I gots to hear it out loud, not read it. We're not that big on that fancy book-learnin' writin' stuff down about these parts.
    Last edited by DaveP; Sat, May 12th, 2012 at 07:29 PM.
    AmberLab and alicia like this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

i'm like "why is she pickin on that poor whore???"

lol
    GoJays and Peachykeen2007 like this.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    When it comes to spelling and grammar it's important to realize that not everyone's first language is english. And others, like me, have learning disabilities and will never be perfect spellers, despite our best efforts. I couldn't for the life of me tell you whether colour had a u in Canada or not...not to mention that I often mix up english/french spellings of words that are the same in both languages. We aren't being careless or lazy, its simply the best that we can do.
    Absolutely true. And if anyone is posting in a second language I admire them no matter how many mistakes they make. They're doing way better than me. I can barely function speaking in french and Inuktitut and would be hopeless trying to write in either language.

I have never ever, EVER thought less of another poster when I know that English is not their first language. Ever.

Same for those with learning disabilities.

But first language English speaking folk, without cognitive impairment, who butcher the language are annoying. Because it's usually laziness on their part - I'm not talking about typos, we all make those. I, myself, did one of those earlier in this thread. I used 'you're' when I meant 'your'. I noticed it about 12 hour later and corrected it. Typos happen. Typing too fast happens. But consistent wrong use of language by people who should know better can be a bit annoying.
    Last edited by DaveP; Sat, May 12th, 2012 at 08:04 PM.
    GoJays and Aimz like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    302 (100%)

Thanks for the list. I find that I use the Canadian spelling on most of those words.

Smart Canuck...Oh Yeah!!! Koolaid's Avatar
    Trading Score
    145 (100%)

OMG....I just logged back in and I have 69 posts to read!!! AHHHHH!!!!
    anisa and Natalka like this.
    Join Swagbucks and save up for Christmas!!! Message me for help! http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/Koolaid1977

Please help us raise lots of much needed Autism research funds...donate to my son's walk today here:
    http://asca.convio.net/goto/tyler2016

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

I speak, read and write in five languages, and certainly not all of them as fluently as English. I'm sure there are many people who would find my Russian grammar, for example, positively atrocious; I have no doubt that I am as well-spoken as a LOLcat, just not as furry or cute.

Everyone has their pet peeves...it doesn't necessarily mean that those of us who prefer to write and speak English correctly, even in a chat forum that is obviously informal, think that those who do not (whether by choice, because of a learning disability or ESL) are stupid or lazy. it just means that when we see something written incorrectly, we wince.

I would no more reply "I'm doing good" when asked "How are you?" because it is not how I was taught to speak; "I'm well, thanks" pops out of my mouth without me thinking about needing to use an adverb, unless I happen to be in the middle of performing some charitable act (and therefore theoretically "doing good") when asked. That doesn't make me a snob.

And to that end, Dave P, it's "They're doing way better than I."
    AmberLab, Zonny and DaveP like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    35 (100%)

My pet peeve is when I hear people pronounce the word presentation as "preee-sentation". Donald Trump is one person who regularly does this on the Apprentice and it irks me. You don't buy birthday preeesents, you don't conduct a deee-monstration..... it's pronounced "present-ation."

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

And when people *cough George Bush cough* mis-pronounce words to make themselves more folksy and a-good-ole-boy-have-a-beeer-type...shudders.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    85 (100%)

I find auto-correct always changes words on me... so annoying. Especially when I'm writing an essay, and Word changes colour to color and my profs always leave a comment letting me know it's spelled wrong Even when I write by hand, I will sometimes use the American version of words like "color". I do find some words just make more sense with the "u" included like odour or valour.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information