User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree98Likes

Thread: Where Have All My Flowers Gone?

Trading Score
    22 (100%)

Every week I am so happy to see the lady who delivers my flyers come to my door...well, until this week! I noticed that she was crouching down in my flowerbed in my front yard and low and behold, she was helping herself to some of my tulips and daffodils. I opened my door and asked her what she was doing..she told me that she liked my flowers and only took a few...WHAT THE HECK..now I think I have seen and heard it all. I still can't believe it..what is happening to people????!!!!!!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Thumpersmom, Natalka, Aimz and 4 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

That is SO wrong. I am a gardener, and for the most part, we are a generous bunch, especially with our time and knowledge. Take our plants without permission and all bets are off. I would have chewed her out, but do you suppose she would stop delivering your flyers? That would suck.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

yeah, she's a little screwed in the head if she thinks that delivering papers means she can steal from ppl's gardens.
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I would report her to the flyer distribution company.
    Give as many details as possible.
    matrix82, anisa, AmberLab and 8 others like this.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

My mom catches people doing this all the time. They're all like "I only took 1 or 2." That's NOT yours dude!

One time, mom even busted one of my teachers doing it!!!!
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I have the same problem in my front yard of random passers-by filching the flowers.
    Sitting in my living room, looking over the front garden, I have caught about a half dozen people each gardening season.
    At least twice that number are not caught.

The most memorable occasions were:
    - when a mystery person took every tulip that was blooming ( at least 30) at one time. ( Beautiful garden one minute, empty 10 minutes later)
    - a mother teaching her child how to take them (I could see and hear them through the open window) "First look to see if anyone is watching you, grab the flowers fast, take from the bottom of the stem, walk away fast"
    - a 16-17 year old neighbour who ran across the road very fast, looked around to see if anyone was watching, stole a bunch very fast and then ran back home very fast. ( I went to her home and confronted her with her mother)
    - Multiple times, I have knocked hard on the window when I see people crouching down to look at the flowers and coming up with some in their hand.

It takes a lot of work and some money to garden.
    If someone politely asks, and is modest in their request, I give them more flowers than they ask for.
    I just hate the thieving.
    Last edited by greencanuck; Sat, May 12th, 2012 at 07:25 PM.
    matrix82, Kalmel, jessep13 and 4 others like this.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Hmmmmm
    Trading Score
    63 (100%)

greencanuck - A mother teaching a child how to steal someone's flowers?! Well, if that doesn't just take the cake to add up to the other scenarios someday.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greencanuck View Post
    I have the same problem in my front yard of random passers-by filching the flowers.
    Sitting in my living room, looking over the front garden, I have caught about a half dozen people each gardening season.
    At least twice that number are not caught.

The most memorable occasions were:
    - when a mystery person took every tulip that was blooming ( at least 30) at one time. ( Beautiful garden one minute, empty 10 minutes later)
    - a mother teaching her child how to take them (I could see and hear them through the open window) "First look to see if anyone is watching you, grab the flowers fast, take from the bottom of the stem, walk away fast"
    - a 16-17 year old neighbour who ran across the road very fast, looked around to see if anyone was watching, stole a bunch very fast and then ran back home very fast. ( I went to her home and confronted her with her mother)
    - Multiple times, I have knocked hard on the window when I see people crouching down to look at the flowers and coming up with some in their hand.

It takes a lot of work and some money to garden.
    If someone politely asks, and is modest in their request, I give them more flowers than they ask for.
    I just hate the thieving.
    wow, i think you need to set up some sort of electrical fence that zaps them hard each time they trespass!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

That's just terrible no one has the right to take your property.Just tell her next time she does it you're calling the police.
    matrix82 and sharkie like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    wow, i think you need to set up some sort of electrical fence that zaps them hard each time they trespass!
    I have learned to adapt in a few ways.
    One, is to keep the flowers that I most value at least 20 feet from the sidewalk.
    Two, to remove most of the flowers every few days so at least I can enjoy them in vases.

It is a real shame that I can't have my front yard with beautiful flowers.
    I would rather have everyone be able to see and enjoy them.
    matrix82, anisa, AmberLab and 3 others like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

When I worked, it was for a recently privetised ex-govt company.

We had large earth-work banks round the site on which had been planted tulips, daffodils and the like. Every Mother's Day week-end (which is during Lent in the UK) , the whole lot was stripped bare because...." we pay your bills and it's too much and you can afford it"...

1)The earth-works were in part essential to stop erosion of the site which meant your houses weren't flooded when it rained too hard

2) the staff bought the bulb, not the company

3) they had to walk 300 m into an industrial area past security guards and dogs to get the plants....

The entitlement of some people never fails to depress me...
    flyingdutch and sharkie like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Oh, my, that's just crazy!
    sharkie likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

I agree with the above -- gardeners are happy to share. Many give cuttings or potted plants as gifts.
    When someone steals from a gardener, there is a special "reward" for them -- even if they are not caught.

I would forgive a small child who does not know better.
    Adults who purposely steal are a different story.

OP, in a twisted way, they are complimenting you. You have planted and cultivated such beautiful flowers that they are irresistible and enviable.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    I agree with the above -- gardeners are happy to share. Many give cuttings or potted plants as gifts.
    When someone steals from a gardener, there is a special "reward" for them -- even if they are not caught.

I would forgive a small child who does not know better.
    Adults who purposely steal are a different story.

OP, in a twisted way, they are complimenting you. You have planted and cultivated such beautiful flowers that they are irresistible and enviable.
    My opinion is that the beauty of the front yard is for everyone, but I would like people to ask and not just steal.

It is my neighbours who are doing this and they see me toiling in the garden 10 hours a week or so.
    To just steal after seeing me struggling ( I am disabled) for many hours to do all that is required is not a compliment.

I do consider a special exemption to small children who are not supervised by an older person.
    If a child under 10 wants to take 2-3 flowers home to cheer up a parent- great!

When I catch an unsupervised child taking flowers, I am quite gentle about it, but do very gently say that they should ask first and only take a few flowers.

If a child does ask, they get extra 'sweetie-nice' behaviour from me.
    They also get a little information about flowers, some extra flowers because they asked first and some wet paper towel at the base to preserve the flowers until they get home to mama.
    Last edited by greencanuck; Sun, May 13th, 2012 at 07:45 AM.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greencanuck View Post
    My opinion is that the beauty of the front yard is for everyone, but I would like people to ask and not just steal.

It is my neighbours who are doing this and they see me toiling in the garden 10 hours a week or so.
    To just steal after seeing me struggling ( I am disabled) for many hours to do all that is required is not a compliment.
    Stealing from someone who is disabled?!?! I just can't believe some people would go so low!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information