User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: My hubby got "let go" because he got injured at work.....

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Call WSIB and see what they have to say about this. WSIB forms should have been filled out, were they? When I was working, there was a rule of thumb with the managers to not fire any of the guys that were hurt within 6 months because there were legal ramifications if they did fire them. There were guys that would be hired, do their training and then fall off of a ladder on their first day on the job.....then be off for a year with a bad back. Find out and make sure you know his rights.
    gameprogirl likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by i_forget View Post
    Call WSIB and see what they have to say about this. WSIB forms should have been filled out, were they? When I was working, there was a rule of thumb with the managers to not fire any of the guys that were hurt within 6 months because there were legal ramifications if they did fire them. There were guys that would be hired, do their training and then fall off of a ladder on their first day on the job.....then be off for a year with a bad back. Find out and make sure you know his rights.
    No.
    Really?
    A ladder fall scam?
    Wow, I am out of the loop on these tactics.
    gameprogirl likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If there was something wrong with the hook on the wall that made the steel ladle fall and injure his eye it wouldn't be your husband's fault.That's the fault of the place where your husband is employed.Your husband should fight it.
    gameprogirl likes this.

Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I hope everything works out for you. My bf was harassed at work and asked for there to be a formal complaint written up about it, well immediately after his duties and hours were cut back, and a few months after that he was "let go." The govt looked into it and said that he had a legitimate case, but probably wouldn't win b/c his workplace was nonunion, and it would be to expensive to go to court against a large company.

Your dh's workplace was unionized, so please follow through (as others have posted). He has basic rights no matter how long he was working there. Good luck
    gameprogirl likes this.
    ......SEARCH USING SWAGBUCKS!.....
    ..................EARN $$$ FAST!..................
    .............Join using my referral..............
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/K8sFate

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

holy shoot gpg, so glad to hear his eye is ok.
    hoping you have contacted the union and they had some helpful info on what to do.
    does sound suspicious that they would fire him when they did, but then again
    i'm always suspicious when something looks wrong.
    big hugs hon
    gameprogirl likes this.
    if you have some spare time

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thanks everyone, I wrote to WSIB and sent off some other letters, we will see come Monday.

I am frustrated but I'm trying to take some good from this. Hopefully there is a better place on the horizon
    Natalka likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Shwa Girl View Post
    No.
    Really?
    A ladder fall scam?
    Wow, I am out of the loop on these tactics.
    LOL, who knows, I did my time and then left.

Quote Originally Posted by gameprogirl View Post
    Thanks everyone, I wrote to WSIB and sent off some other letters, we will see come Monday.

I am frustrated but I'm trying to take some good from this. Hopefully there is a better place on the horizon
    Good, it cannot hurt to ask questions.

Good luck
    Last edited by i_forget; Sun, May 13th, 2012 at 08:14 AM.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    He should talk to his union. Eventough he is under probation, it does not mean it is cart blanche to do whatever. We let go one of our admin assistances while under probation and the union was still involved. He should discuss his options with the union. It's why he pays them dues.
    Actually it pretty much is, they don't need to give notice or a reason, and you don't need to give notice either that you're leaving. I had a friend that worked at a hotel and a few days before his 90 days were up they fired him. he asked for at least a reason and they said we don't need to give you a reason sorry. Check into if you want, and see but I'm not sure what he can do.
    gameprogirl and FallenPixels like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

There are some rules, if you can prove they did it to get out of the WSIB claim, because of a prejudice/human rights issue etc plus it is unionised so the union there may have certain agreements in place

But even if you fight them on it, do you want to go back and work somewhere they do not want you or deal with it being public record that you sued an employer
    glowworm2k likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

I GOT GAME, DO YOU? gameprogirl's Avatar
    Trading Score
    15 (100%)

No, your right Fallen, he does not want to go back to work there after this. The trust is gone. We are just glad this happened so soon instead of after he got comfortable there.

I'm just more upset by the fact that they treat people like they are disposable. They need to change things so people have some sort of job security.
    glowworm2k likes this.
    Join Ebates for cashback on all purchases!
    http://www.ebates.ca/referrer?referrerid=Hm3B6tvDY78%3D

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by gameprogirl View Post
    I'm just more upset by the fact that they treat people like they are disposable. They need to change things so people have some sort of job security.
    Agreed that this happens way too frequently. I remember when I came to terms with the idea that for most employers, we're all drones that are easily replacable, no matter what skills, talents, personality and passion we contribute to our work and workplaces. I'm self-employed right now (with contract work), and even so I still feel like my contract could be cancelled and I could be replaced even though the people I work for are wonderful, thoughtful and caring. Capitalism is just another four-letter word in a lot of ways.
    gameprogirl likes this.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I agree that it sucks he was hurt and let go. Just that the 90 day probation period gives both sides the right to part ways for any reason with no notice. I'm not saying the way he was let go was right either though.
    gameprogirl likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information