User Tag List

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 2 Post By marstec
  • 1 Post By mdutka
  • 1 Post By i_forget
  • 1 Post By Craiger

Thread: How to go out with multiple toddlers?

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

I have a 1.5 yr old, 2.5 yr old and a 3.5 yr old.
    I have always beeen very active with my kids, taking them everywhere with me - shopping, playgroups, activities etc.
    Now I am really have a hard time getting out and about because the 2 older kids want to walk, and not stay in a stroller. My oldest who is quite good when it is just him and me, starts running around, screeching, and occassionally rolling on the ground!!!!!! Stressful!! He knows the rules of how to behave in a store. I remind him in a nice way before we go in of the rules. I bring reinforcements (i.e. treats). If we are at a store, I offer to let him pick out something if he is good (which i do not like doing but, well, I am weak lol), and I do try to keep him involved by getting him to help me.
    What am I missing? Any advice would be appreciated.
    It is stressful and embarrassing and I do not want to teach my 2 younger ones that it is ok to behave like this.
    I am worried that this will get worse, as my 1.5 yr old wants to be a big kid and is already trying to get free of the stroller /shopping cart.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Is there anyway you can take them out indivdually??

Otherwise they re-inforce the less desirable behaviour .

Alternatively, something like this

Name:  cl500leatherharnessreins.jpg
Views: 269
Size:  17.2 KB

to keep them close. I've dealt with children running off in different directions so I needed outside help to corral them...
    LifeisBeautiful likes this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I highly recommend getting a backpack child carrier for your youngest. The leash that Darth posted is actually a good idea. I never used one, was actually quite mortified by them at first, but if you think about it, anything that helps keep your children safe is a good thing. I should have bought one for my youngest aka the baby Houdini. I always said if I had him first, he would have been an only child!

My boys were only 18 months apart and I remember what a struggle it was to get errands done. I can look back at those days fondly now, but I remember calling my husband at work a few times, wailing: "They were soooo bad today!!!!". Hang in there, and best of luck to you.
    csaund21 and LifeisBeautiful like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    78 (100%)

first off, hats off to you for even attempting to take all 3. i agree with the leash/back pack idea. get a cute one and put some goodies in the backpack part of it. i put one on the oldest and actually tied it to the stroller because he was a runner, way too impulsive.
    LifeisBeautiful likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Thanks for the advice everyone! I think I am going to look for a harness or leash lol whatever you call them.
    I have my 3 yr old in daycare on Tuesdays, so I was out with the 2 younger ones and oh man the youngest is too much! She wants freedom like her older siblings. For the first 10 -15 minutes I was able to distract her, but then she was climbing and wiggling out of the seatbelt.
    Maybe I can get a "triplet" or "twin" harness, if such one exists!
    Thanks again

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I was in the same boat as you. My 3 are 35 months apart, start to finish. My oldest and youngest are boys, middle is a girl, boys are special needs. I would put my youngest in a stroller, my daughter would walk beside me with an arm leash and my oldest was on a body harness. When my daughter could walk without it, I took her off and used that for her bigger brother.

I saw my little brother dart out into traffic when I was a kid and had his head run over. I do not care what other people have to say or think about harnesses being bad or demeaning. Safety first.
    AmberLab likes this.

Trading Score
    95 (100%)

My oldest daughter(just turned 3 a week ago) really enjoys taking her little tikes shopping cart when we go places, I made her a shopping list from pictures in the flyers and it is her responsibility to get the items on her list (not go by herself of course) but to watch for those items. It gives her something to do and keeps her mind off of doing bad things to get my attention.
    My middle daughter (18 months) sits in the front of the cart and I keep her occupied via food.
    Our youngest daughter (2 1/2 weeks) stays in the larger part of the cart in her bucket seat...usually means I can't get a ton of groceries but I get as much as can fit in the cart...
    nicolthepickle likes this.

Thread Information