User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree58Likes

Thread: Reusable bags

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I am a bit annoyed at all the restrictions put on reusable bags/totes. I usually bring bags when I go shopping and look forward to the shops that give extra points/discounts when you do. Lately though, stores have been insisting that it has to be their specific reusable bag or bag types. It seems like as long as they get paid, they don't really mind about keeping one extra bag out of the landfills. Please correct me if I'm wrong:

Zellers: Only HBC reusable bags are valid for bonus points. (100 bonus points = $0.0125 if redeemed at 80,000 points = $10)
    PC stores: Only PC reusable bags/totes are valid for bonus points. (50 points = $0.05)
    Giant Tiger: Only reusable bags (not plastic) valid for discount. (1 bag = $0.03)

The idea is the same, keeping their plastic bags out of the garbage so I think customers should be rewarded for the same effort.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reusable_shopping_bag

"An unpublished report from the UK's Environment Agency found that when compared to a traditional plastic bag, a canvas or cotton reusable bag would have to be reused a total of 171 times to offset the higher carbon emissions. The same study found however that the average cotton bag is used only 51 times before being thrown away." - from Wikipedia

I'm not sure my bags last being used 171 times, so does it really make a difference? It all feels like a magic trick. While my attention is diverted (thinking I'm saving the environment), I'm really creating a larger carbon footprint.
    This thread is currently associated with: Giant Tiger, Zellers

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

This is getting crazy! I use heavy-duty canvas bags for 2 years now and they show no signs of wearing out. I actually get compliments from cashiers about them and where did I get them? Restrictions on re-useable bags? What's next?
    quicktocoupon likes this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

President's Choice ( Loblaws family stores)
    Loblaws family of stores (ie Zehrs, Independent, RCSS, No Frills, Loblaws, etc) gives the PC points for ANY reusable bags being used at the checkout.
    I know this because I have been getting the points for my generic bags for years.
    You need to point out to the cashier how many bags you will be using at the end of your transaction before you use your PC card, so the points are entered in your transaction.
    They mention the PC bags because they are trying to sell their own PC shopping bags.

Reinforcing Shopping Bags:
    One of my choices is to set aside any new re-usable shopping bag until I get around to sewing and reinforcing it.
    The average bag gets re-sewn by machine 3 times on every seam and more at stress points.
    The easiest way to do this with 2-3 bags of the same colour (ie same thread) at the same time.
    Most manufactured bags can be sewn with white, black or green thread.
    My personal shopping bags ( and those I give for gifts ) never die, even a decade later they are functioning great !!!

Saving Money on Shopping Bags:
    - dollar stores can have good shopping bags for sale, but look carefully at the construction
    - look at alternative bags, ( ie beach bags, mesh bags, etc)
    - some yard sales will have like new fabric shopping bags for 25 cents
    - You can also sew your own shopping bags quite easily with two layers of fabric, even reclaimed fabric such as denim or pillowcases can be used
    Last edited by greencanuck; Mon, May 14th, 2012 at 02:17 PM.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Trading Score
    30 (97%)

^ Dollar store has the best reusable bags I have used so far, I find the fabric ones get really flimsy and weird, but dollar store ones I find you can wash them out with just a cloth, I have had my dollar store ones for 2 years now and still holding strong, best thing about them is they have a zipper so if they tip over in the car you aren't searching under the seat for things that fell out
    SFARAZ and wolfwoman like this.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by greencanuck View Post
    President's Choice ( Loblaws family stores)
    Loblaws family of stores (ie Zehrs, Independent, RCSS, No Frills, Loblaws, etc) gives the PC points for ANY reusable bags being used at the checkout.
    Erg!! Then I have been refused points for a made up reason!! The cashier told me those rules have been changed and it's only for PC bags only. They've also given me points for one bag when I've used five. I thought you were supposed to get points for each bag?

I simply replaced my PC card and it was much less hassle.

Someone told me it's now 10 PC points per bag, which works out to $0.01.

jnazurk
    Trading Score
    132 (100%)

Our city implemented a plastic ban bylaw. No stores give out plastic bags (except you can get your meat wrapped in produce bags, and some clothing stores like reitmans get away with their bags because they are deemed reusable because the are that heavier plastic). So all stores here let you use all bags. I prefer safeway ones-the ones that have that cardboard bottom to them so they prop open like a box.

I used my own bags before the bylaw, but the odd time you forget your bag, it's a bit of a pain to have to buy yet another stupid bag. But, there is less plastic bags floating around outside, stuck in trees, etc.
    wolfwoman and quicktocoupon like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sweet sparrow View Post
    Erg!! Then I have been refused points for a made up reason!! The cashier told me those rules have been changed and it's only for PC bags only. They've also given me points for one bag when I've used five. I thought you were supposed to get points for each bag?

I simply replaced my PC card and it was much less hassle.

Someone told me it's now 10 PC points per bag, which works out to $0.01.
    That cashier was wrong.
    I cycle for all of my transportation, including shopping, which means I shop often.
    I have shopped at Zehrs, RCSS, and No Frills in the last two weeks and you still get the points per reusable cloth bag.
    Nothing had changed as of three trips last week and one trip on the weekend.
    It has been 10PC points per bag for at least 2 years or so.
    Last edited by greencanuck; Mon, May 14th, 2012 at 04:03 PM.
    TRADING COUPONS: FOOD, DENTAL, SOAP / BODY WASH/DEODORANT, SPECIAL CREAMS, MAKEUP, HEALTH, AIR FRESHNERS, HAIRCOLOUR, CLEANING, HAIRCARE/ SHAMPOO, DIAPERS, SHAVING, PET, MEDICINE,LAUNDRY, STORES, LONDON BUSINESSES, FAST FOOD, BATTERYPRODUCTS, CHILDREN FOOD and TOY, SMOKING CESSATION and lots more ​!!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Pricesmart, Superstore, T & T, Zellars charge 5 cents per bag if you don't BYOB
    IGA, Safeway, Walmart still gives out bag(s) when you shop
    GeorgiaK likes this.

KK7
    Female
    Trading Score
    618 (100%)

and sad thing is people don't realize their taxes in these bags!

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I can use any reuseable bags at Extra Foods and get PC points. Some cashiers say it's "one code" per transaction others do it for each bag I use.

My problem is I have to bag my own groceries and sometimes I'm not finished before the cashier is done scanning everything. I then have to estimate the number of bags I'll use.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCouponSaver78 View Post
    Pricesmart, Superstore, T & T, Zellars charge 5 cents per bag if you don't BYOB
    IGA, Safeway, Walmart still gives out bag(s) when you shop
    T&T doesn't charge for bags in Ontario yet. SDM, where my parents live (small town), also revoked their $0.05 per bag policy. They must have had a lot of complaints.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Insane View Post
    I can use any reuseable bags at Extra Foods and get PC points. Some cashiers say it's "one code" per transaction others do it for each bag I use.

My problem is I have to bag my own groceries and sometimes I'm not finished before the cashier is done scanning everything. I then have to estimate the number of bags I'll use.
    I always overestimate if they do that!
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

If any store EVER told me I could not use reusable bags that aren't from their company I would walk out. I simply won't take that crap!
    Everytime you like my post I give the dog in my display picture a big *KISS!*

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    6 (100%)

as far as PC goes I use whatever bag is closest in the car and always get my points....these reusable bags take up so much space in my trunk..they don't fold up very well

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

sweet sparrow likes this.
    Did you see the pool? They flipped the B!tch!

I'm going to South Korea!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information