User Tag List

Like Tree9Likes
  • 3 Post By Caliza
  • 1 Post By sweet sparrow
  • 1 Post By alwaysdaddysgirl
  • 2 Post By Darth Penguin
  • 1 Post By marstec
  • 1 Post By i_forget

Thread: No returns on sale items? Really, Home Hardware?

Purplechocolatecat-oholic Karabana's Avatar
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I must vent about Home Hardware's policy of not providing a return on sale items. They give store credit instead. And not a gift card, oh no, only 30 day credit. How ridiculous in this day & age of so many big box hardware stores to compete with that they don't promote return customers by providing the very basics in customer satisfaction. Apparently they don't get that no hassle returns is one of the best things you can provide customers. I purchased a bathroom ventilation fan on sale in their flyer, didn't know their policy, had to return it bc it was the wrong size, and so found out the hard way I couldn't get my money back. Basically, you're stuck with shopping there. Absolutely pathetic, it does the opposite of promoting repeat business, it makes me want to never shop there again, & I won't. I used that store credit on a regular priced item, but couldn't return that regular priced item. Naturally. The store mgr. (Wilson near Albion) just stuck to his guns, kept repeating the policy, wasn't going to make an exception. :knob: Nice. What a way to promote business. I told him I've always shopped in his smaller store, rather than the massive voids that are Rona or Home Depot, but with such a policy, they drove me away.
    This thread is currently associated with: Home Depot, Home Hardware, Rona
    Last edited by Karabana; Tue, May 15th, 2012 at 01:47 AM.

Swaggin is my madness: www.swagbucks.com/refer/Karabana
    ^Easy free stuff yo^!

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

A lot of stores have this type of policy, regarding sale items. Usually because if something is on sale they're trying to get rid of it.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

I think if it's a sale item, it should be allowed for a full refund. Normally, the item is still in stock at regular price after the sale. If it was a clearance item, I can see them making an exception. Was that what you meant, Caliza?

If the store credit was for a regular priced item, I think you should be able to return that as well. There are countless things I've bought from a hardware store that I had to return or exchange because the fitting was a little off, or we found out we already had one.

If I remember my receipt correctly, it doesn't say anything about items not being refunded for full value in the original method of payment.
    Karabana likes this.

Trading Score
    48 (100%)

I think a Gift Card should be given at the very least. I won't be shopping from HH anymore. I usually shop at Canadian Tire.
    Karabana likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

I can see that there should be a better method of repayment/replacement had the clearence item been defective.

Clearence items are generally limited by the number and/or sizes available.But for one which was the wrong size, I'd say the customer had the onus to make sure they had bought a suitable size and in that case the credit is the usual option.

Wanting some-one to go beyond policy is highly entitled behaviour. Trying to force a staff member to break company policy , is even more so.
    pippinelkhound and marstec like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

I think there's a difference between sales items that are advertised in a flyer and clearance items that are to be "cleared out". I can see clearance items being a final sale because they want to get rid of it, after all. Joe brand clothes at Superstore are final sale when they are on super clear-out prices, for example.

Don't forget, Home Hardware stores are all independently owned and serve as more "mom and pop" stores than big box retailers like Home Depot. They won't have the same flexibility to absorb loses like the big stores either.

What it all comes down to is: let your feet do the talking and support the stores with more liberal return policies.
    Karabana likes this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

At RCSS, the yellow stickers for Joe Fresh items are final sale.
    At Laura Supestore, the 80% off clothes are final sale.

Usually the RCSS and Laura Superstore cashiers say that and Laura stamps your receipt too.

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    Clearence items are generally limited by the number and/or sizes available.But for one which was the wrong size, I'd say the customer had the onus to make sure they had bought a suitable size and in that case the credit is the usual option.
    I always ask to make sure that I can exchange the item before I bring it home. I'm usually wrong, even when I'm right. For example, I thought the pipe under our sink was 1 1/2" diameter. The Home Hardware guy asked if I was sure because it's almost always 1 1/4". I was right, but the fitting was odd so we needed another bend to add on and a bit of cutting and twisting involved. I never seem to be able to make just one trip to the hardware store.

It wasn't clearance or on sale, but I was told that I had two weeks to return it for any reason.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

What I bought was on sale, not on clearance. Things advertised in their flyer are on sale, & my point is, you won't get your money back if you discover you need to make a return. It's a ridiculous policy, that was what I was venting about, it's such a problem with these smaller independent stores when they don't promote return business with such a policy. I will shop where there are hassle free returns. The staff know this policy is anti-customer too, an employee I spoke with said he hears a lot of complaints about it.
    No, certainly customers don't always know what size, model, etc. we need, & we shouldn't expect the return process to be so difficult. From experience I know that exceptions can always be made, managers have the ability to show some flexibly, especially when they value customers, and want them to be happy. It's hardly highly entitled behaviour. I didn't try to force a staff member to break company policy. I dealt with the store manager.

^Easy free stuff yo^!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

The store manager still may not have the ability to break the company policy.
    This is from the HH website
    Returns
    Merchandise may be returned to your local Hardware, Home Hardware Building Centre, Home Building Centre, or Home Furniture store for exchange or refund within 30 days - providing it is unused, clean, complete, and in its original package, with bill of sale. We regret that cut materials and special-order merchandise are not returnable.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    The store manager still may not have the ability to break the company policy.
    This is from the HH website
    I didn't get the impression that she tried to return it outside the 30 day window. (Correct me if I'm wrong.)

I'm surprised the company policy states that there's a 30 day window for returns or exchanges. My HH only offers 14.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would go back with a print out from the website and demand my money back.

I have bought sale items at HH before, and have returned them with NO PROBLEMS.
    Karabana likes this.

Trading Score
    11 (100%)

Yes, I tried a return within the 30 days.
    The store policy (there are signs), which is also on receipts, isn't even the same as the website, figures.

^Easy free stuff yo^!

Thread Information