• 1 Post By saveadollardiva
  • 2 Post By salady
  • 1 Post By i_love_to_save
  • 1 Post By vala

Thread: Unhappy Metro experience

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I probably shouldn't get too down about this but for some reason this trip to Metro tonight really irked me.

The cashier I got questioned the Metro facebook coupon for the free iced tea. She said I can't use it because it's a printable. I said it's from their facebook page and it should be okay. She went to check with her supervisor who okayed it so she rang it through. When she was processing the rest of the coupons, she wasn't outright rude but I did feel like she was a little short with me. She would say "What's that?" in an annoyed tone.

Due to my miscalculation before heading to checkout, I was actually under $30 after coupons, and I had a coupon for 15 bonus airmiles WUS $30. I asked her if she could try to ring it through anyway just to see if it will work since these things typically apply to the total before coupons. She said she can't try, sorry. I asked if she could double check just in case. I was being very pleasant about this as I don't like to upset the cashiers. She said "UGGGH geeez" and went off to ask. I was expecting to get some resistance but was a little taken back by her attitude. I've been to other Metro locations where all the cashiers were perfectly pleasant even if they were questioning my coupons.

Anyway the supervisor said no, so I didn't argue further and asked if I could grab another item to add to my purchase to get the total over $30. I didn't take very long, and as I was returning I overheard her talking to the man standing in line behind me. I didn't hear the full conversation but just the tail end. I heard him say "- most of them seem very young" and she said "yeah it's crazy, they are hoarders". When they saw me they stopped talking. I'm guessing they were talking about Extreme Couponing. Which is fine. But it gets me the idea that they were talking about me behind my back. I don't really care what the man says about me - I was keeping him waiting in line by grabbing another item so it's fine if he's feeling a little impatient - but for a cashier to be talking to a customer about another customer, if that was what was happening, is just incredibly unprofessional.

And then on top of that, when I checked my receipt in the car, I realized that instead of taking $1 off for one of my coupons, she actually CHARGED me a dollar extra. So that actually made me overpay by $2. I sat there for a bit contemplating going back in to get the changed, but then decided I did not want to deal with that. I don't really want to call head office about it either because it's one of those situations where I just want to vent and get over it and move on - maybe not go back to that location again. Plus a lot of what upset me wasn't her being outright rude so I feel that calling head office actually makes couponers look bad rather than the cashier (I don't want them to think couponers feel the need to complain about every little thing)

I've learned to develop a thick skin from couponing. I don't mind if people look at me as I'm cashing out or rummaging through my coupon binder. But I still highly dislike it when cashiers TREAT customers differently because they use coupons. I feel like I shouldn't get so upset... I did earn 35 airmiles for my $30.64 transaction and got lots of key grocery items. Maybe I'm just over reacting but it does feel nice to let it out to people who would understand so thank you SC for this rant section.
    This thread is currently associated with: Air Miles, Metro
    - Couponing since May 27, 2011 -
    I earned enough swagbucks to redeem for a $5 Amazon e-gift card in my first week of joining
    ! JOIN SWAGBUCKS

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I feel your pain. You really have an excellent outlook on it all and am in full agreement with you not calling head office. I think we all have felt the heat from a cashier from time to time and it hurts. I'm not sure you need to avoid the store, just that cashier. I really am glad you got your air miles! Good for you.

Trading Score
    195 (100%)

There are a tonne of rude cashiers out there... they don't want to do anymore than they have to.... scan the item, put it in the bag... throw a coupon in the mix and you just doubled their work!! lol!! Like I said, there are a million cashiers, but only 1 you.... don't let them get you down. You saved money, thats all the matters.
    Please Help My Friends Neice Win Wal-Mart's "Mom of the Year" to win $100,000 for "The Canuck Childrens Hospice"
    http://www.momoftheyear.ca/mom/?mom_id=23512
    A Brave Mom of 3 lives every day knowing her baby will soon pass away. PLEASE Click to read her story and vote!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    170 (100%)

Usually the airmiles are given on the total before the coupon is applied. The coupons are treaded like tender so you should have been ok without adding something. I know I had a pile of FPCs and my total was zero and I still got airmiles on the total before the coupons.

I know that I have actually done my whole order and then the airmiles coupons before I will pull out my coupons incase they give me a fight about it.
    Swagbucks- http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/mom2teens

Carrot Rewards Promo Code: kerryj6770

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would make a complaint to the store manager about the rude cashier. I worked in a grocery store and the managers were always keeping on top of the cashiers about how to treat customers. It kept the cashiers focused on customer service.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

First off I am sorry you went through that! I had a really bad cashier at CT this weekend. First off, doesn't matter if you have 100 coupons or just one, she should still be professional and still give you customer service. Her talking about you I would have called a manager big time!!! She has not right to talk about you with other customers. if the other customer was talking about you, she should have said "Sorry for the wait but she will be back shortly, if your in a hurry may I suggest maybe going to another cashier?" Or we do have our express check outs for your convenience." And her saying GEEZE like come on you don't talk like that to people. It is her job to ring in your purchase, check the coupons, ring them in and if she is unsure to check for you. There is no reason to be rude, especially when you were being nice! I would call the owner of metro though or a supervisor about how she was. People need to learn you can not act like that in front of people. Especially people who are spending money in the store your working at, which pays you!
    Last edited by saveadollardiva; Tue, May 29th, 2012 at 08:02 AM.
    GoddessDigi likes this.

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

First off I am sorry you went through that! I had a really bad cashier at CT this weekend. First off, doesn't matter if you have 100 coupons or just one, she should still be professional and still give you customer service. Her talking about you I would have called a manager big time!!! She has not right to talk about you with other customers. if the other customer was talking about you, she should have said "Sorry for the wait but she will be back shortly, if your in a hurry may I suggest maybe going to another cashier?" Or we do have our express check outs for your convenience." And her saying GEEZE like come on you don't talk like that to people. It is her job to ring in your purchase, check the coupons, ring them in and if she is unsure to check for you. There is no reason to be rude, especially when you were being nice! I would call the owner of metro though or a supervisor about how she was. People need to learn you can not act like that in front of people. Especially people who are spending money in the store your working at, which pays you!

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

You want my advice? Call the store and ask to speak to the manager or call the Head Office. They NEED to know that an employee representing their company is doing this! Couponing or not, her behaviour towards you was despicable and totally uncalled for. She could be doing this to other people too for all you know. Chin up. Be strong!
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    182 (100%)

hey miabee sorry for your experience, but i have thick skin as well and you know maybe next time you get similar issue (rude cashier, grabbing extra to get to $xx amount) tell her to cancel everything and DO IT AGAIN!!! if someone wants to be rude ...then be rude back... i learned that you give what you get, it works for me... you should see my WM cashiers...they all run away from me when they see me come into their tils.. so the nice manager (i already got to know when she is in) is always the one that ends up helping me
    saveadollardiva likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I know how frustrating it could be! I agree with the other and you should contact the store manager. A rude employee is not acceptable. I don't understand what her problem was. It's not like clients using coupons is costing her money.
    GoddessDigi likes this.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I hope you feel better now, I hate when cashiers are rude to customers.

Just so you know though, its not worth your time ever contacting Metro H.O. They are EXTREAMLY unhelpful and in my experience (various different calls) they are sometimes just as rude!
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

take what you posted here and email it to Metro customer service.

what happened was wrong. i am sure their HO would like to know.

i hope the next shopping trip makes up for this bad one
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Thanks everyone for making me feel better. Next time this happens I will ask for a manager. For now I will just shop at my usual Metro since I've only had great customer service there!!
    - Couponing since May 27, 2011 -
    I earned enough swagbucks to redeem for a $5 Amazon e-gift card in my first week of joining
    ! JOIN SWAGBUCKS

Thread Information