User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Making your own laundry soap under $5 for years of detergent

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

one person was kind enough to post the recipe, check on the previous pages... I think it's 1 cup of washing soda and 1/2 cup of Borax.
    Always have your stuff when you need it with @Dropbox. Get up to 18 GB in free online storage when you sign-up using this link -> http://db.tt/218DjYg

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

my laundry soap (left in powder form) is
    1 bar ivory
    1 cup borax
    1 cup washing soda
    bluerose likes this.
    Collecting Campbell's soup labels for our school RAKs greatly appreciated.
    Using WagJag for great deals!

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

I spoke with my sister who says she tried doing homemade laundry detergent a few months back and it didn't work properly because they have hard water so it didn't really clean. Am hesitant to pay the money for the supplies, then spend all the time making it just to find that it doesn't work because of the type of water we have.

I wish I knew someone who made their own and it worked well because I would ask to try a cup of theirs so I would be able to use it for several loads and really see whether I liked it or not before investing.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

We have hard water and haven't had any problems.

this soap is low sudsing so you shouldn't really see many suds - I believe with hard water things suds even less - so if it was based on lack of suds just remember suds does not equal clean

with hard water I have read that you should use a bit more soap (I also have enjo laundry detergent and I know I can't use their recommendation for front load machines - I need to use more).

I use a baby formula scoop of soap and our clothes all come out clean

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    I spoke with my sister who says she tried doing homemade laundry detergent a few months back and it didn't work properly because they have hard water so it didn't really clean. Am hesitant to pay the money for the supplies, then spend all the time making it just to find that it doesn't work because of the type of water we have.

I wish I knew someone who made their own and it worked well because I would ask to try a cup of theirs so I would be able to use it for several loads and really see whether I liked it or not before investing.
    aemi likes this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

oh I also should add - even if you try a batch and it doesn't work you can use the left over borax to clean the toilet (if you don't use any other chemicals in it at least) and washing soda can also be used as a detergent booster.

I think borax can also be used to make your own dishwasher detergent - I haven't tried that yet but plan on making some tomorrow to try.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

In Calgary we have very hard water so i put in 1 full cup of borax instead of 1/2 a cup. Last week i picked up 4lbs of blueberries and made blueberry syrup and got it all on the front of my brand new shirt. As soon as the syrup was done i changed and the blueberry juice was well dryed. I applied the laundry soap and let it sit 25 mins while a load finished in the washer. I decided it was worth the risk to apply directly to fabric because the shirt was toast without it. I was very shocked... i pulled it out of the washer and it looked like it had never been in contact with blueberries! I have tried this on a few stains... i don't scrub but the key seems to be allowing it to sit for a few mins and tossing it into the machine. So far i have found it worked on several stains. If 25 mins got out the blueberries i would not risk leaving it on fabric overnight but it did in fact work amazing. I hope some of you get the same results.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by PurpleBunny89 View Post
    Am hesitant to pay the money for the supplies, then spend all the time making it just to find that it doesn't work because of the type of water we have. .
    Borax and washing soda are very versatile. You wouldn't be wasting your money if you bought them because there are so many ways you can use them around the house by making your own products. I kid you not, I've used washing soda to strip old wax from my linoleum floor and without dealing with the fumes from ammonia which is the standard solution. The book "Better Basics for your Home" is where I get a lot of ideas for making my own cleaning products.

http://www.amazon.ca/Better-Basics-H...4452643&sr=1-1
    PurpleBunny89 likes this.

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

I also make my own laundry soap (liquid); I didn't click on any of the links for videos, but my recipe is 1 bar of sunlight soap grated - added to 4 cups of boiling water in a pot & stir until it's all melted (sunlight soup!).
    Then in a 5 gallon bucket I add 3 gallons of hot water (I have my bucket marked), pour in the sunlight soup & stir, then add 1/2 cup borax & 1 cup of washing soda - stir until dissolved.
    After 24 hours it gets a big stir, then separated to bottles.

Mine smells like I'm using sunlight laundry soap of course.

I picked up all the products at Home Hardware as they are the only place around me that carries the sunlight bar soap and the arm & hammer 'so clean' washing soda; they also carry the borax at the cheapest price compared to all the other stores.

For my homemade fabric softener I use 4L of vinegar & 1 bottle (25ml) of essential oils. I grab the 4L bottles when they go on sale, and Walmart carries the essential oils in the craft department for $1 or less per bottle.

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Thanks for the comments guys!

I'll have to eventually try this once my 15 or so bottles of laundry detergent are all used
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    37 (100%)

TBH I would highly suggest that anyone thinking of trying this does so before you run out of your store bought detergent. You don't know for sure if you will like it as some have a preference to the suds and the scents of store bought. This way, you have plenty of stock still, and do not end up needing to rush to get anything.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by KrazE View Post
    TBH I would highly suggest that anyone thinking of trying this does so before you run out of your store bought detergent.

That is such a good point. I only use my home-made detergent for laundry washed in hot water. I find it didn't dissolve that well in cooler washes.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Here are very good soap recipes , mostly from soap base as it is easier and requires no special skills + it is safer than usual hold/cold processes. Just my opinion.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

cool! nice tread!

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread Information