User Tag List

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast
Like Tree2781Likes

Thread: Canning Pics, Feel free to post yours!

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

A couple days ago i found out that there are many canners on Smart Canucks! I understand how much hard work it is and wanted to give a place for us to not only show off some of our hard work but a place to inspire other canners to make something they may not have yet. So here we go with my pics... Please feel free to comment or jump on in and show us what you have been canning.

Name:  pineapple and mandarin.jpg
Views: 9085
Size:  59.4 KB
    The Mandarins and Pineapple were done yesterday. I was aksed for a copy of the recipe for the pineapple jam so I am posting the link we used for it here. http://baking.about.com/od/flavoredb...eapple-Jam.htm

Name:  peppers plum salsa and straw jelly.jpg
Views: 9162
Size:  160.6 KB These were done a few months ago. I have lots more I can take pics of and I will probably stay with showing my water bath items for a bit so anybody can attempt to make them. Now that I showed ya mine... I double dog dare you to show me yours!
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by cheekysaver; Fri, Nov 16th, 2012 at 10:31 AM. Reason: Added link for pineapple jam

Trading Score
    193 (100%)

Wow. Those look beautiful. I bet they taste great too! I can as well. I make crabapple juice each year from our tree in the front yard. It has the small red crabapples. But we mix the juice with some 7-up as its a bit thick to drink alone. And the kids just love it. I tried to make grape jelly this year but it didn't set up well
    I loved your idea on the pineapple jam. I am going to give that a shot. Thanks for the ideas and the wonderful pictures. Can't wait to see everyone elses
    http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/PinkSapphire. Click to get FREE Giftcards just for searching the web. It is so easy.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I need some close ups (lol)

Name:  38 RAOK for birthday!!! 002.jpg
Views: 7906
Size:  437.8 KB

Name:  2012 stuff & kitchen 302.jpg
Views: 7927
Size:  396.9 KB
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

sorry about the picture size

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I need some close ups (lol)

Name:  38 RAOK for birthday!!! 002.jpg
Views: 7906
Size:  437.8 KB

Name:  2012 stuff & kitchen 302.jpg
Views: 7927
Size:  396.9 KB
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Cool
    peachy1 likes this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coley3 View Post
    Wow. Those look beautiful. I bet they taste great too! I can as well. I make crabapple juice each year from our tree in the front yard. It has the small red crabapples. But we mix the juice with some 7-up as its a bit thick to drink alone. And the kids just love it. I tried to make grape jelly this year but it didn't set up well
    I loved your idea on the pineapple jam. I am going to give that a shot. Thanks for the ideas and the wonderful pictures. Can't wait to see everyone elses
    First off... grape jelly that doesn't set up is called... grape syrup LOL! So you didn't loose anything there. This happens to everyone that cans from time to time and there are ways to stop it from happening. My mom had trouble setting up a few things until she increased the boiling time for the first boil with just the fruit juice and pectin in it. It is a altitude adjustment. Here in Calgary we go 1 min 30 seconds instead of one min and this corrects many set up issues. The second thing we do especially when doubling and tripling batches is called a gel test. You put a thick plate in the freezer before you start canning... when the jam or jelly is ready to come off the burner you put about a teaspoon on the plate and wait 30 second and run your finger through it (then you get to taste it before you can it too). If it is not setting at that point you add in a little extra pectin (1/4 to 1/2 the pack) and put it back on the burner and stir it on the heat until all of the pectin is desolved. We keep partial packs of pectin powder on hand for these occasions. That crabapple juice sounds so good!
    operabob, Kitty77, ROMEO and 7 others like this.

Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Wow Jasperandchar those are some beautiful pickles you have there!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    240 (100%)

So jealous of all that canning....they look yummly great!
    Won a Bernardin canning kit/set from a radio station a few years ago..still never opened :0/
    jasperandchar and peachy1 like this.

putting the kettle on.. sweetproserpina's Avatar
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Love the canning pics! I will have to take some pics of what I've been up to this week (pears...). And it's funny that you mentioned the grape jelly not setting, because I have the same problems. Grape jelly is hit and miss with me, I think I will need to add more pectin next time. But we sure do like grape syrup in our oatmeal, lol.
    Lavender Lady and peachy1 like this.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.
    RLF: Goldfish!!, Butter, Astro Yogurt, Triscuit Thincrisps...

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

oops! trying to post pic... will edit in later..
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by sweetproserpina; Thu, Nov 15th, 2012 at 03:46 PM.
    I love free books! Earn points at Swagbucks and get great Amazon GCs or Paypal $$.

Trading Score
    25 (100%)

Here's what I canned this week- the very last of the pears in the orchard, Kieffers. I've never canned them before but the Bernardin book says that they are good for canning, so fingers crossed!

I did 12 pints of canned pears in light syrup, and 5 half-pints of vanilla apple/pear sauce..

Name:  SANY3554.jpg
Views: 7474
Size:  68.0 KB

Trading Score
    89 (100%)

wow.. so impressed by see all that you all have canned.
    Inspires me to start learning about canning so that I might be able to do some in coming year. J

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    459 (100%)

Very nice! I thought of trying this out but wasn't in the plans--perhaps a good goal for 2013?!
    jasperandchar likes this.
    Want to keep fit while earning incentives like Scene Points? Join Carrot Rewards using my personal code: rosaw3424

Easy Free Online Rewards--Paypal, Amazon, Etc.

http://swagbucks.com/refer/BlingPink

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is the advantage of this over buying cans of stuff? I'm guessing less preservatives etc.... because I cannot see it being that much cheaper to justify the labour involved.
    peachy1 likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by floydrocker View Post
    What is the advantage of this over buying cans of stuff? I'm guessing less preservatives etc.... because I cannot see it being that much cheaper to justify the labour involved.
    I find the big difference is taste. It has been years since I have eaten a store bought jam or pickles or pie filling. You get so use to making your own and the flavour is just delicious that when you are some where are are served store bought jam etc, I find it has no flavour.

I will have to post some pics tomorrow, I spent the beginning of this week making a couple batches of Chili con carne

Page 1 of 67 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Thread Information