User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree48Likes

Thread: My weekly meal plan - what's yours?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Ok, I've been strugging to come up with a meal plan for next week, mainly because I'm bored out of my skull with the usual recipes. Here's what I came up with. Please share yours so. That way we might be inspired by something we hadn't thought about.

Saturday: dinner at brothers.
    Sunday: lima bean soup with smoked turkey (for lunch and freezer), corned beef with cabbage (supper)
    Monday: bean, sausage and escarole stew
    Tuesday: beef steak with cauliflower
    Wednesday: baked beans with knackwurst
    Thursday: lemony chicken soup with spinach
    Friday: dinner out

I mostly plan for the main meal, sides are based on what I can get that's fresh that week, or what I have available in my pantry.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    25 (100%)

This is a great idea for a thread! I try to plan around the flyers but they were so uninspiring this week. My husband and son hunt and fish so we are very fortunate to have the freezer full at all times.
    Saturday: White fish, Japanese coleslaw, couscous
    Sunday: Pot roast with turnip carrots and onions and a side of mashed potatoes
    Monday: Soft Tacos, with a salad and fruit
    Tuesday: Tuna Melts, with homemade vegetable soup
    Wednesday: Chick Pea Curry with Jasmine Rice or Homemade German sausage with sauerkraut and caraway seeds
    Thursday: A light version of chicken parm or Barbecue chicken if the weather is nice
    Friday: I am going to try the Guiness burgers that Anna Michelle posted in one of the other food threads.

We all eat leftovers for our work lunches except my highschooler so I always make a big meal so we have leftovers.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    168 (100%)

Marking this for later! Great idea!

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

I haven't done a meal plan but I have been cooking up a storm since DH went to Toronto on business :*(

So far I have made:

3 batches of butter chicken (2-chicken and 1-using chickpeas **curious how that turns out
    3 lazy lasagna's with homemade bolgonese sauce
    1 HUGE crockpot of turkey chilli
    6 Bacon/asparagus quiches

I am going to be making:

3LB batch of indian inspired meatballs
    1 Indian curry

and after that I still have 1.25lbs ground turkey left . Maybe some greek style turkey burgers now should I cook them or just freeze them raw????

Oh ya, and I almost forgot. I have an almost 6LB chicken I will be roasting on Monday for a full roast chicken dinner for DH and then making stock and soup with the leftovers

Must Coupon, Must Save :) SassyAshley's Avatar
    Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We do not do ours day by day as when we did way too many times there was a whine of "but I dont feel like that tonight" so instead now I base what we are going to have by what is in the fridge and what needs to be used up.

Last week's meal plan
    Eggplant Parm - To use up eggplant I got on clearance
    Spinach Ricotta Rolls - To use up extra lasgna sheets in the fridge
    Pizza - Ordered out so my mom would have left overs to take with her this weekend well she away so she doesn't have to go out to eat
    Nachos - Mom popped the bag so we needed to eat before they went stale

Tonight I will be looking to see what we have that I eat well mom is away and I am just cooking for me. I like to make meals she will not eat but I enjoy so this way we are not making two meals when we are both home.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

10 cups still left of vegetarian soup made Friday ( mainly for me )
    a large beef stew made, added chopped kale to it for first time
    a dozen medium sized GF breaded pork loin chops
    10 GF breaded skinless, boneless chix thighs
    cut up, roasted 6 large red peppers with hunks of 2 lg. sweet onion, 3/4 bunch rapini, and coated with coconut oil, Mrs dash type spices and garlic powder
    Steamed 2 lbs carrots and 1 1/2 bunch of broccoli

We all eat at different times ( shiftwork, Univ schedules) so this is all in the fridge to mix and match, everyone decides what day they eat what. Everyone except DS takes a lunch with them from these prepared items.
    If by Thursday I see some stuff is depleted while something else hasn't moved quickly enough I drop hints to eat it!
    Last edited by walkonby; Sun, Mar 24th, 2013 at 10:47 AM.

babies teach us acceptance

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i eat whatever free leftovers i get from work

and only buy grocery sale items and make meals from them

yesterday i bought cilantro and a tin of rice pudding

dinner will be chicken, which i thawed last night
    walkonby, thriftygranny and KelJo like this.
    You can't change other people. You can only change yourself"
    - H. H. Getter

when we change our attitude, we change our lives

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

My meal plan for this week has already failed. I officially have a cold, I have been trying to fight it off all week and yesterday afternoon it officially set in, sore throat, with a lot more coughing and possible sinus infection. Just hoping it does not turn into pneumonia which is what the girl I caught this cold from has.

So last night was going to be pita pizzas, did not happen was too much work so instead I had cup a soup and garlic toast.

Today before I crash out I did so some cooking. I made a pot of beef stew which I am going to use for lunches, something about being sick I want a hot lunch.

I also cooked down a can of alymer accents so their is no moisture left, I will use this as the sauce on Pita Pizzas which will probably be Tuesday night's dinner since it is only me for dinner and I will be getting home late.

Tomorrow night depending on how I feel will be more stew or eggs. I love breakfast for dinner mostly because I never really get to eat breakfast foods. I eat breakfast at my desk so my options are limited. I used to have breakfast for dinner once a week but now that mom isn't working night she is home and won't go for it because she has breakfast for breakfast.

Mom will be back on Wednesday which will be nice. I was so looking forward to her being gone and being able to eat all the things she does not like but now that I am sick I really wish someone was here to cook for me especially come dinner time as I am too exhausted to cook.

Still not sure what we are doing Thursday forward as it is my bday so more than likely there will be a lot of eating out next weekend.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by SassyAshley View Post
    My meal plan for this week has already failed. I officially have a cold, I have been trying to fight it off all week and yesterday afternoon it officially set in, sore throat, with a lot more coughing and possible sinus infection.
    Poor you! Hope you get better soon.

For that eventuality that I might get sick, I have a small stockpile of soups and meals in my freezer. These are the days that when reheating a dish is too much work!
    thriftygranny likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have not tried to make a weekly plan. It is really an annoying task for planning meals.
    thriftygranny likes this.
    Everybody love computer, hookbag computer parts

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I agree it is a drag to make a weekly plan, but I must admit it is much easier and cheaper. My mother has been doing that all her life, but the truth is, you get bored with the same menu. I like that you started this thread, so we all can re-fresh our menus.

Coupon Princess sheetsofemptycanvas's Avatar
    Trading Score
    330 (99%)

I've recently started doing this so I love this thread for ideas!!! Here's what this past week has looked like...
    Monday was homemade tomato mac soup and garlic breadsticks... we were going to have the soup with sandwiches for supper the next night but everyone snacked on it all night long and we finished it up for lunch on Tuesday!
    Tuesday- McDonalds lol
    Wednesday- Sloppy Joes (recipe from pinterest, I can post if anyone wants it!), rice, and a veggie tray with dip
    Thursday (tonight) Farmers Pork Chops. Recipe HERE Going to serve it with the rest of the veggies and dip from last night
    Friday- I have to drop my little guy off at his Grandma's for the night so I'll probably eat out
    Saturday- Going to dinner and a movie with a friend but she has a GC for Kelsey's so it will be paid for!
    Sunday- Ham, boiled potatoes, stuffing, and a veggie
    Soft kitty, warm kitty, little ball of fur... happy kitty, sleepy kitty, purr purr purr

Trading Score
    314 (100%)

I don't really plan either, although it is smart and more economical if you can. I usually cook through the week, and DH is responsible for Saturday's..and he usually gets off easy by ordering pizza. I usually like to cook one extra big meal during the week and freeze the leftovers and then sneak in a leftovers meal during the following week.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I try to meal plan each week before the grocery shop - sometimes changes based on meat sales/what i see instore. But we usually end up sticking to it for the most part I've found a ton of inspiration in pinterest lately for what to make - just search up what you have - for example yesterday I found an amazing sour cream pork recipe and it was divine!
    http://frugalkris.blogspot.ca
    Check it out for my couponing, freebies and money saving experiences!
    Twitter @FrugalKris

Trading Score
    64 (100%)

We do not officially meal plan most of the time it is a mix of what I got on clearance at the store and whatever we have in the house. We no longer shop multiple times a week as the cost was really adding up. One meat to too expensive to buy something that isn't on sale and it was too tempting to pick up extras.

We have a general of idea of what we will eat but we do not plan day by day, we used too but it lead to too many "I don't feel like that" nights and an increase is extra shopping trips or dinners out because we did not think about dinner so at the last minute it was decided to not have what was planned.
    walkonby likes this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information