User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree127Likes

Thread: The Cost of Being Vegetarian

Trading Score
    58 (100%)

That is reasonable Patty but I need to ask you a question. As a vegetarian do you notice different tastes in the vetagbles and fruits different places?

I want to eat more fruits and vegetables and I find alot of times it is hit and miss. Just got some grapes from Loblaws and they were fresh, DH paid enough and they tasted awful, the lettuce too for a long time- tastes weird. I taste it even in after completing the dish(like making a julienne salad with dressing. Does nayone else find that? And we finish by throwing it out. You seem to have a market that we all would love to have access to but I know here there aren't many places and you would think there would be.

It's that fresh summer taste of a tomatoe or lettuce or cucumber taste, if almost there I can eat it but if not I can't.

Thanks for posting and opening that door of possibilities again for me. I'll keep trying till I find a place in Ottawa.
    Last edited by oscarandme; Thu, May 16th, 2013 at 02:15 AM.
    quicktocoupon likes this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by addismom View Post
    Wow that is alot of fruit and veg for a week! Now I realize why I was so sick from being a vegetarian for 1.5 yrs, and after blood transfusions I had to eat meat.. You are definately careful and smart with making sure you get enough protein, iron etc from your diet.. I would be interested in hearing about some of your recipes if you care to share.. If you do you can pm me.. I would love to hear how you use the legumes, beans etc.. Now does that kale shake drink you mentioned taste ok? Or did you like it when you first tried it? How do you feel with having these and have you noticed any changes with you body since you started.. I am sorry for so many questions, I am truly interested in it and would love to be a vegetarian again. Your posts and pics are inspiring, it looks great and you got some great deals and great healthy food! Damn bananas 20c lb..Jealous!!
    I don't mind answering questions as long as the pro-meat lobby on this site stays away from this thread. I am not interested in a debate about our choices and I don't care to hear anyone's opinion about it. There were many threads in the food section about eating vegetarian started by myself and my dh but the haters on this site ruined it so be warned I will not tolerate any bashing on this thread.

Funny how no one cares how much protein you are eating until you tell them you are vegetarian, then their ignorance comes through. I don't mean you I am referring to all the people who think only meat and dairy have protein and calcium. They are uninformed and I don't even bother answering them anymore. Since you only need about 10% protein from calories it is very easy to get those calories either from beans/legumes(I always keep a homemade batch of hummus in the fridge) or nuts(I love almond butter myself). Leafy greens also have enough. Here are some links to sites that we follow. All these Doctors are at the top of their field in research related to vegetarian/vegan eating.

Our initial reason for changing over to this lifestyle was health. My DH had diabetes, he was on meds, now he no longer needs them and his blood glucose is always steady and normal (even better than most people I would say), he has lost 65lbs also in his journey to health. I have lowered my weight 47lbs and my blood pressure, my parents, both 88 no longer need their Lipitor, Metformin or Blood pressure medications, their doctor is astounded. We have been following this quite strictly for a year now although my folks do eat meat occasionally my kids also and once in a blue moon I will have cheese otherwise it's no meat, dairy or oils, not even olive oil. This is our choice.

The only vitamin we take is B12. If you need a few recipes I had started a thread in teh Food section on here. Good luck , feel free to ask me more questions if you like.

https://www.facebook.com/forksoverknives?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/rightfoods?fref=ts

https://www.facebook.com/Engine2Diet?fref=ts

http://www.drmcdougall.com/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HvA55xj8iMI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jgnedos8aBY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWHmfg7WXgY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEuRMm-a6mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9LMezWH5DA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxFai4iVOtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3ied_AD4iE <------ President Clinton
    walkonby, BC Gal, MDellen and 2 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by oscarandme View Post
    That is reasonable Patty but I need to ask you a question. As a vegetarian do you notice different tastes in the vetagbles and fruits different places?

I want to eat more fruits and vegetables and I find alot of times it is hit and miss. Just got some grapes from Loblaws and they were fresh, DH paid enough and they tasted awful, the lettuce too for a long time- tastes weird. I taste it even in after completing the dish(like making a julienne salad with dressing. Does nayone else find that? And we finish by throwing it out. You seem to have a market that we all would love to have access to but I know here there aren't many places and you would think there would be.

It's that fresh summer taste of a tomatoe or lettuce or cucumber taste, if almost there I can eat it but if not I can't.

Thanks for posting and opening that door of possibilities again for me. I'll keep trying till I find a place in Ottawa.
    I hardly ever buy fruits and veggies at big box chains, I always try to go to Asian markets, Chinatown here in Montreal, local farms in the summer, and of course my Sami fruit and Bonanza in the winter. I do find stuff tastes different from season to season, there was a point this winter when my buddy at Sami fruit told me not to buy the potatoes because they sucked lol or he will tell me when the oranges are great, I am lucky . Many times a small local grocery store who caters to folks with Medeterranean background are great places to shop also. Good luck
    oscarandme likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by shmeelady View Post
    Awesome brag. I must say I am completely jealous. I have yet to find the right place to purchase my produce. After a yearand a half in Winnipeg you think I would have found the place to go....

Sent from my GT-S7560M using Tapatalk 2
    Im just gonna put thus out there to you..and really to everyone, because anyone can do this....many Local organic farms do share programs where you purchase ALL your veggies for the growing season (now to like sept. In Winnipeg) it's the most good quality, non genetically modified, great variety of produce you've ever seen and all organic, here we have farms such as the Weins family farm and Almost Urban ( who I bought from this year) its approx $30 a week for a recycling bin full of produce delivered and it's ALOT of food! Includes fresh herbs, kale, tomatoes, edible flowers even!! healthiest freshest way to eat cheaper than superstore ( I know I spend at least $30 on fresh veg a week as it is..) btw I'm not affiliated I'm just excited about local healthy food that's cheap and everyone needs to know about this stuff not just the hippie dippies!

And great brag
    HOHOHO ‘‘tis then season for trading
    check out my TL/WL fair trader, been out of the game for too long, small but HV list.

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchthatdollar! View Post
    Im just gonna put thus out there to you..and really to everyone, because anyone can do this....many Local organic farms do share programs where you purchase ALL your veggies for the growing season (now to like sept. In Winnipeg) it's the most good quality, non genetically modified, great variety of produce you've ever seen and all organic, here we have farms such as the Weins family farm and Almost Urban ( who I bought from this year) its approx $30 a week for a recycling bin full of produce delivered and it's ALOT of food! Includes fresh herbs, kale, tomatoes, edible flowers even!! healthiest freshest way to eat cheaper than superstore ( I know I spend at least $30 on fresh veg a week as it is..) btw I'm not affiliated I'm just excited about local healthy food that's cheap and everyone needs to know about this stuff not just the hippie dippies!

And great brag
    Oh my goodness. I had no idea about this. After some investigating i was able to find an online resource of all the CSA farms in the area!

Though I am going to have to shuffle around money here and there, as the full share of $600 has to be paid out with registration. But for 20 weeks of weekly deliveries (fruit and veggies) i cant go wrong, as now we go through about 40$ or more per week on produce...

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

the ONLY problem with this is my DH and ds's and very particular about what fruit and veg they eat. I can change it up a little bit...but not much. DS1 won't eat those mini carrots in the bag, has to be regular carrots cut up (I can't blame him), but you get the pickiness point. I have recently started growing my own garden and hoping to expand it this year. That always helps. great idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by Stretchthatdollar! View Post

And great brag
    LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Trading Score
    386 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by pamjcoupon View Post
    the ONLY problem with this is my DH and ds's and very particular about what fruit and veg they eat. I can change it up a little bit...but not much. DS1 won't eat those mini carrots in the bag, has to be regular carrots cut up (I can't blame him), but you get the pickiness point. I have recently started growing my own garden and hoping to expand it this year. That always helps. great idea though!
    Fresh option.ca allows you to pick specifics, when you sign up they also ask for a list of things you never want to receive. Lol.

I signed up for this one, will be getting my first delivery on tuesday. You can prepay or pay cash or cheque upon delivery. There are 3 size boxes to choose from. They also tell you in advance what your box will contain. You can cancel anytime as long as it is three days before the next delivery day.

quicktocoupon likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    174 (100%)

thanks. I will look into it.

Fresh option.ca allows you to pick specifics, when you sign up they also ask for a list of things you never want to receive. Lol.

I signed up for this one, will be getting my first delivery on tuesday. You can prepay or pay cash or cheque upon delivery. There are 3 size boxes to choose from. They also tell you in advance what your box will contain. You can cancel anytime as long as it is three days before the next delivery day.

LF: kashi from websaver and 50 cents any cereal printout
    FT: Mann's veg and more! Check out my tradelist/wishlist

Trading Score
    26 (100%)

good shopping Patty....lot of stuff for the money spent

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

Prices like that for produce just don't exist in my area. Believe it or not but grocery stores are actually cheaper then local farmers markets here. If you go to a farmers market you better be willing to hand over your arm and leg for that one small basket of strawberries that aren't even that fresh.

Its also really hard to find fresh produce in my town as well. I find most of the bananas everywhere are always yellow starting to get brown spots whereas I like greenish yellow bananas. Or the tomatoes are super squishy whereas I like mine still a with a tiny amount of yellow so that they are nice and firm. Same with cantaloupe and cucumber, they are always squishy.

The only things that are ever "fresh" are things that take forever to go bad such as lettuces, apples, potatoes, onions, carrots, etc.

OH and grapes and strawberries are always disgusting around here, and baby tomatoes. Ick, no matter where I go I always have to go on a mold hunt in the little basket they are in.
    couponmummy and oscarandme like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Trading Score
    454 (100%)

And green peppers are always wrinkly here too.
    couponmummy and oscarandme like this.
    Insert Clever Signature Here

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    361 (100%)

I couldn't agree more. Personally, I am always buying "loose" bananas at the local fruit/veggie store .. cheapper and more conviniet (you see what you get from all sides lol).

Thank you for sharing with us, Patty. Now I have to try all three ways (thank you scouponer for your recipe as well) of cooking kale lol ... sounds soooo yummy to me lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Patty Smyth View Post
    The bananas are packaged like that because they are all singles, leftovers(they do sell regular bunches as well). So they package them up cheap because for some reason people prefer to buy bunches. I have no preference especially when it brings them down to .20lb
    Stretchthatdollar! likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    115 (100%)

Oh my goodness. I had no idea about this. After some investigating i was able to find an online resource of all the CSA farms in the area!

Though I am going to have to shuffle around money here and there, as the full share of $600 has to be paid out with registration. But for 20 weeks of weekly deliveries (fruit and veggies) i cant go wrong, as now we go through about 40$ or more per week on produce...

Thats AMAZING!!! I thought you might like it mine was $520 and it's gonnabe Wesoooome! Can't wait til the weather gets better!!!!! Heirloom and organic stuff is just so so so different. Like, you don't realize the crap we eat until you get real food. I'm happy I got you into it!!
    HOHOHO ‘‘tis then season for trading
    check out my TL/WL fair trader, been out of the game for too long, small but HV list.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    214 (100%)

Wow. We have NOTHING like that. 50c/lb for green grapes is an awesome price!
    Help me out with Swagbucks and we can both earn gift cards and PayPal money
    Pm me for a referral link if you’d like to earn a $10 bonus! when you create your Checkout 51 rebate account
    Caddle Referral Code:
    ANGELA67343 and we will both earn $1 bonus

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

your pictures look delicious. mmmmmmm

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information