Thread: Ways to save money

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Garden, garden, garden!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

If you have close family or friends, buy or hire large items such as lawn tractors and work out usage rotas.

Trading Score
    56 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by snuffaluffagus View Post
    Hi. Just discovered this site several days ago and am especially very impressed with this thread .

I would like to add some points that haven't been covered yet, I don't think.

For pet guardians: Cats: Feeding your cats a well balanced raw diet can cost only pennies per day and save hundreds every year in vet fees as a result of feeding poor quality commercial foods. The same goes for dogs. We feed ours a combination of raw and home-cooked and it comes out to just under what it would cost to feed kibble. For those who choose to feed their dogs kibble but are concerned about value/quality, I've found that when comparing brands (ingredients), Costco's Kirkland brand is far superior to many popular brands including one's sold by veterinarians at a fraction of the cost. Do a comparison of ingredients to see which is better for your pet.
    I just wanted to say, hear hear! I can totally vouch for the Kirkland brand dog and cat food, it is what we feed our fur babies. We did a comparison with my in-laws $80 a bag dog food that they feed their dogs.....the ingredients are almost exactly the same, in the same order and everything.....and Kirkland is actually one of the cheapest dog and cat foods you can buy. I love it. We live like an hour from a Costco but for us it is worth it to buy from there in terms of quality and cost (we just stock up so only go there every few months).

Say no to Cyber Bullying
    Trading Score
    42 (100%)

Here is a new one. SUPER COOL. Take a pair of denim jeans and lay flat on table. Take your razor and stroke 20 times opposite direction of shaving. THis will sharpen your blade. Blades can last you a whole year!!!!

I also am looking into making my own cheese from u brew.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

AWESOME points! I am proud to say that I do most of these - but never thought about using the cereal bags for parchment - great idea! I hate wasting so much!! I began using cloth napkins about 2 years ago... will never return to the world of paper again!

Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by taxsavey View Post
    Here is a new one. SUPER COOL. Take a pair of denim jeans and lay flat on table. Take your razor and stroke 20 times opposite direction of shaving. THis will sharpen your blade. Blades can last you a whole year!!!!
    Seriously? I am definitely going to try this! I already use the blades until they are super dull because I hate throwing them away, but if this works... wow! Thank you!

All the tips in here are great. I almost never use the napkins that are given to me when I buy at restaurants, I bring them home/to the office and use them there if I ever need them. Saves money, for sure!
    nessa23 likes this.
    ~*~I take proofreading, writing, and lettering commissions~*~
    ~*~Send me a private message for details!~*~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I use coupon codes to save my money. Daily I save some money by using coupons and coupon code. At the end of month when I calculate these small savings result comes in hundred of dollars.

Banned
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

UTILITIES:
    Appliances
    1. Install energy-efficient appliances (dishwasher, washer/dryer, refrigerator)
    2. Keep the lint trap in your dryer clear, clean hose regularly.
    3. Turn your oven, stove, toaster oven off during the last couple minutes of cooking. Enough heat remains to continue the cooking.
    4. Cook in batches; limit oven use to once per day or less, My dad even does up a ton of chicken on the bbq then freezes them.
    5. Use major appliances at non-peak energy hours (anytime on weekends & holidays, otherwise, 9 p.m. to 7 a.m.) (If you are on peak hours)
    6. Wash all clothes with cold water, or at a minium warm,cold
    7. Use a toaster oven for baking/heating small meals
    8. Line-dry laundry instead of using the dryer when weather permits
    9. Cook with a crock pot
    10. Unplug household electronics and appliances not in use
    11. Insulate hot water heater and pipes
    12. During fall/winter: leave the oven door open after use to help heat the house (caution: don’t do this if you have small children around!)
    13. Fill empty spots in the fridge/freezer with jugs of water to save on operating costs
    14. Clean refrigerator coils a few times each year
    15. Only run full loads of laundry and dishes
    16. Air-dry/hand-dry dishes instead of using the dishwasher dry cycle
    17. Wear clothing twice before washing unless they’re noticeably soiled
    18. Wash casual outer layers hoodies/sweatshirts/jackets only a few times per month unless they’re very dirty

Heating & Cooling
    19. Refrain from turning on heat & AC each season until you just can’t take it anymore
    20. Install a programmable thermostat
    21. Add insulation to your attic and other areas as needed
    22. Use white or light-coloured curtains/blinds to reflect heat away from your home in the summer
    23. Use a dehumidifier to reduce moisture in your home and make it feel cooler
    24. Use ceiling & floor fans, and space heaters instead of running central heat & air
    25. Caulk around doors, windows and baseboards to keep outdoor air from leaking in
    26. Install weather stripping
    27. Install storm doors and windows
    28. Close the heating and air vents in rooms you are not using
    29. Open the windows for fresh, pleasant air when seasons bring temperate weather
    30. Use a space heater while spending much time in just one room
    31. Lower the heat temperature before going to bed

Lighting
    32. Keep lights off in rooms not in use
    33. Install CFL light bulbs (and properly dispose of them: recycle where available)

Water
    34. Turn off water while brushing teeth, washing dishes, lathering/scrubbing hands
    35. Limit shower time to 10 minutes
    36. Install low-flow toilets
    37. Install low-flow showerheads
    38. If you must use sprinklers for the lawn, put them on timers

GROCERIES:

39. Use coupons!
    40. Make your own cleaning products (e.g., water and vinegar for light cleaning; online recipes for homemade detergent, etc.)
    41. Shop once per week (according to weekly specials) and with a list (to avoid unnecessary purchases)
    42. Stock up when products go on sale
    43. Save your receipts. Then watch sales the week or two after you shop. If you buy bread for $3.20 and next week it goes on sale for $2.20, go to customer service for a price adjustment and get back the $1 you paid last week
    44. Carry a calculator with you (for so many reasons: e.g., to keep your subtotal in check before you reach check-out)
    45. If you purchase a defective product, contact the manufacturer. They’ll likely send coupons, sometimes for a free product. Don’t abuse this one, though!
    46. Send inmail in rebates <link to “mail in rebates and money-back guarantees” page>
    47. Use cloth napkins to avoid purchasing disposable paper ones
    48. If you use dryer sheets, cut them in half (it’s enough to get the job done!)
    49. Make your own jam and other condiments
    50. Use cheap hair conditioner as shaving cream
    51. Add water to your hand soap, shampoo, conditioner, and dish soap to extend its use
    52. Clean windows with outdated newspaper instead of paper towels
    53. Make double portions (or more) of your favourite meals, then freeze at least half for nights when you haven’t the energy to cook
    54. Cut dish detergent tabs in half (will get the job done!)
    55. Understand price matching and scanning practices
    56. Stop using fabric softener – it’s an unnecessary laundry additive (and can irritate sensitive skin)
    57. Use plastic containers, not disposable plastic bags, for storing leftovers
    58. While shopping, check out the top and bottom shelves and ends of aisles. This is usually where clearance and lower-priced items are.
    59. Dairy, meat and produce: pick items at the back of the shelves. Older stuff is usually moved to the front, so items in back are often fresher. This way, you’re less likely to waste food because it’s expired.
    60. Ask for a rain check if the store is out of an advertised special
    61. Chop, slice, shred food by hand or with small appliances (produce, cheese, etc.). Convenience foods cost more.
    62. Bring lunch to work rather than eating out
    63. Eat dinner at home; reserve restaurant eating for special occasions
    64. Don’t buy bottled water (instead, use a filter)
    65. Don’t waste produce! If it’s ripe and you know you won’t eat it all before it goes bad, throw it in the freezer and use it later (except lettuce).
    66. Eliminate sugary drinks from your diet and opt for water instead (you’ll save money, get healthier, and feel better!)
    67. Use powdered milk for cooking (cheaper than fresh milk)
    68. Use dish towels instead of disposable paper towels
    69. Use a little less than the recommended amount of laundry detergent
    70. Bring re-useable bags to the grocery store to avoid paying for plastic ones
    71. Buy produce in season
    72. Get into the habit of making your own coffee and tea (no more over-priced coffee shop beverages)
    73. Shop at farmers markets
    74. Buy generics/store brands
    75. Plan meals according to what’s on sale
    76. Eat less meat
    77. Make your own baby food
    78. Grow your own produce and herbs

TRANSPORTATION:
    79. Carpool whenever possible (esp. for social outings; job commute)
    80. Walk or bike whenever possible (many short car trips can be eliminated and you’ll get exercise!)
    81. Use public transportation whenever possible
    82. Get your oil changed every four months instead of three; otherwise, stay on schedule with routine maintenance
    83. Combine errands (trip chain) to avoid wasting time and fuel returning home after one errand
    84. Wash your car by hand
    85. Keep your vehicle’s tires inflated at the optimal level
    86. Change your auto insurance policy so that you have a higher deductible
    87. Remove any unnecessary items from your vehicle’s trunk/interior. The more weight you carry, the more fuel you use.
    88. Buy a fuel-efficient or hybrid vehicle
    89. Use your vehicle’s AC on the highway, but turn it off and open windows on slower roads for better efficiency
    90. Use cruise control on long trips
    91. Replace dirty air filters as needed in your vehicle
    92. Don’t idle your vehicle (also great for combating global warming!)
    93. Park in the shade and/or use a windshield shade
    94. Do not accelerate quickly from stops or drive fast
    95. Buy used vehicles instead of new
    96. Pay for fuel at the pump to avoid purchase temptations in the store

ENTERTAINMENT:
    97. Check-out books/movies/music from the library
    98. Read your favourite magazines/news online instead of buying the print copy
    99. Use an affordable service like zip.ca to rent movies
    100. Don’t buy food at the movie theatre
    101. Go to restaurants that offer a free item or meal on your birthday
    102. Only eat at restaurants with a coupon/special offer
    103. Play board games rather than going out
    104. Use an entertainment book
    105. Eat at restaurants for lunch instead of dinner (lunch menu is cheaper!)
    106. Go out for dessert instead of dinner
    107. Take home leftovers to have as a meal or snack the next day
    108. Watch movies at home instead of the theatre
    109. Eat at “Kids Eat Free” restaurants
    110. Go to public parks with the Frisbee, a ball
    111. Go on picnics
    112. Have a few drinks at home before clubbing or meeting friends out
    113. Go to a bar/club with no cover charge
    114. When you have people over for dinner or lunch, make it potluck

CLOTHING:
    115. Instead of shopping for maternity clothing, consider buying regular clothing a size or two larger
    116. Shop at thrift stores and garage sales
    117. Don’t put bras or underwear in the dryer; the heat breaks down the elastic so they wear-out faster
    118. Avoid “dry clean only” clothing (or hand-wash it if you feel the material can handle it)
    119. Stay away from trends and stick to classic lines that look good for many years
    120. Remove stains as quickly as possible (before they set in the cloth and ruin it!)
    121. Shop out-of-season for the best bargains
    122. Buy as much as possible from clearance
    123. Never pay full price for clothing; there are ALWAYS sales
    124. Learn to sew and/or knit!

BABIES/KIDS/MATERNITY:
    125. Cut panty liners in half to serve as breast pads. They are just as absorbent and cost much less
    126. Don’t buy breast milk storage bags; pour breast milk into ice cube trays. Once frozen, put cubes in freezer bags.
    127. Don’t use lanolin creams for cracked/dry nipples. Massage some breast milk on nipples and let them air dry for ten minutes.
    128. Join formula manufacturers’ mailing lists to receive coupons and free samples
    129. Purchase store brand/generic formula and other supplies and products instead of name brand
    130. Don’t buy burp pads; use a dishtowel or small swaddling blanket
    131. Wash and reuse swim diapers (unless they have been peed or pooped in!). Don’t put them in the dryer; air dry only.
    132. Instead of teething rings for babies, use a wet washcloth. The cold water feels great.
    133. If you plan on having more children, buy high chairs, strollers, etc. in neutral colours
    134. Forget the expensive diaper bag; use a backpack or large tote bag
    135. Instead of buying a traditional high chair, try a seat that attaches to a dining room chair or table
    136. Instead of buying a changing table, consider a dresser with a thick, portable change pad on top
    137. Don’t use character backpacks/lunchboxes that you’ll have to replace when the next new, hot character comes along. Go simple and neutral instead.
    138. Take advantage of the clubs, sports, and activities offered through your public school
    139. Use cloth diapers instead of disposable
    140. Breast feed and avoid buying formula
    141. Diaper genies are too expensive. Just use a garbage can!
    142. Clothe infants and small children in hand-me-downs or thrift store clothes. They grow so fast the clothes won’t last long. And as very small children, they don’t care what they’re wearing!

REUSE:
    143. The rubber bands/plastic bags that newspapers & flyers are delivered in
    144. Gift tissue paper, wrapping paper, gift bags, ribbons & bows
    145. Scrap paper for lists and short notes
    146. Re-chargeable batteries
    147. Baby wipe containers, tins, and tissue boxes for storing plastic bags or other items
    148. Use plastic grocery bags for garbage, soiled diapers and cat litter, outdoor pick-up of dog waste
    149. Re-purpose old bed sheets: make them into curtains
    150. Create a rain barrel to water your lawn/garden

MISC:
    151. Learn to sew (at least to make your own clothing alterations)
    152. Do manicures and pedicures yourself
    153. Shop Craigslist, etc. for things like bike racks, weights, tools: things that are durable/don’t need to look pristine and are expensive in stores
    154. Consider camping in remote locations instead of staying in hotels
    155. Buy appliances from scratch & dent warehouses or retailers’ floor models
    156. Send invitations to events via email to eliminate postage costs
    157. Buy deeply discounted holiday items right after the holiday and stock up for next year
    158. Buy store brand/generic medications/first aid products, etc. They’re just as effective.
    159. Save your receipts! If an item breaks or is in bad shape when you open the packaging, you can return it to the store much easier if you have the receipt
    160. Negotiate all large purchases before buying
    161. Sign up for rewards programs
    162. Get quotes (e.g., on car insurance, cable providers, etc.)
    163. Switch to a no-fee bank account
    164. Pay all bills in full and on time to avoid late fees and interest accumulation
    165. Borrow from friends/family rather than a bank
    166. Shop at the dollar store
    167. Institute and follow a monthly budget
    168. Cut your own/your family members’ hair
    169. Don’t hold a gym membership. You can always run, walk, bike, play team sports with friends
    170. Shop for holiday and birthday gifts year-round to take advantage of great deals as they occur
    171. Sell stuff on e-bay, Craigslist or kijiji
    172. Have a yard sale
    173. Quit/don’t smoke
    174. Use up flexible spending account (FSA) money before you lose it.
    175. Don’t buy extended warranties
    176. Review all bills for any mistakes
    177. Get out and stay out of debt
    178. Use Swagbucks
    179. Negotiate whenever possible/appropriate
    180. Get stuff from freecycle.ca
    181. Instead of hiring carpet cleaners, rent a machine and do it yourself
    182. Sign up for freebies
    183. Look for free stuff on curbs
    184. Save all your change
    185. Pay bills online; save on postage
    186. Use a digital camera instead of film, and only print the great photos
    187. When staying in hotels, take the sample toiletries
    188. Call credit card companies and ask to lower your interest rate
    189. Maintain minimum balances in bank accounts to avoid monthly fees
    190. No gambling!
    191. Don’t buy cookbooks; just use online/family/friend’s recipes
    192. Don’t use ATMs that are not part of your bank’s network to avoid unnecessary fees
    193. Shop factory outlet stores
    194. Keep a cooler with snacks and drinks in the car if you’ll be out for several hours

PETS:
    195. Don’t own a pet for ultimate savings, or just a goldfish!
    196. Bathe/groom pets yourself
    197. Buy flea/tick protection online instead of at the vet
    198. Forget expensive pet toothpaste; mix baking soda with a little water
    199. Limit toy purchases for pets; make toys for them

HOME AND CABLE/PHONE/INTERNET:
    200. Buy/rent a smaller home
    201. Drop unnecessary services like caller ID and call waiting
    202. Get a roommate
    203. Refinance your mortgage if it makes financial sense
    204. Get rid of your home phone if you have a mobile phone
    205. Eliminate cable, or just get basic cable
    206. Call your cable/phone/internet provider twice a year to see if there are any special promotions
    207. Bundle cable, phone and internet service, if possible
    208. Buy home and auto insurance from the same company for a discount
    ssbean likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    286 (100%)

tech gurl - you're THE GIRL!!!
    Awesome advices - I can't even think of more!

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are lots of ways to save and taking advantage of coupons is one. I also find it helpful to buy the things that I need and avoid giving in to anything that my eyes find interesting. Another useful advice is to consider quality. I used to base on the price attached on a product but stores like http://www.bananarepublic.com and http://www.shopandmodel.com showed me the advantage of choosing quality to enjoy its use for a longer period of time. It is important to take advantage of great savings to avoid getting deprived of the things that you may need in the future.

Trading Score
    33 (100%)

Things I do that save me money:
    make my own bread, yogurt and milk (almond or soy) from scratch. In the summer, fresh veggies come from my garden. I cook beans from dried instead of using canned (just freeze the cooked beans and use them like you would canned).
    If you buy milk in bags, save the milk bags; they're tougher than expensive freezer bags and perfect for the freezer!
    Use a shake of laundry soda and half the detergent that you normally would for doing laundry; your clothes will be cleaner, smell better (not like chemicals), and it'll cost you less!
    Do dishes by hand and don't run the water too much.
    When you're running water from the tap while waiting for it to get hotter/colder, save that water. I fill my kettle, water jug, and watering can for plants with water that I would otherwise waste.
    ninna likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

There are lots of think in our daily life that we waste just because of our laziness. Make a budget of eating foods, Avoid eating out, Cut out unnecessary shoping.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Set a budget and stick to it!
    Loving my kids while saving money at the same time!!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thank you so much for the tips everyone! I'm still pretty new to the world of frugal living, but now I honestly can't imagine not living this way. Wasting money is the worst.

Trading Score
    27 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaLovesFree View Post
    Add water to shampoo bottles to get all product out (same with other shower products)
    I do that but I have to give a warning. If you add water to the conditioner, be careful of the amount of water you put it... If it's too liquid it may just drip everywhere and make your tub more slippery then normal... and you may fall and hurt yourself...

Not that I ever did that before.... OUch!

Page 27 of 31 FirstFirst ... 17 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread Information