User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree102Likes

Thread: Use of the word "issue"

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

The use of this word is driving me absolutely crazy lately. It's a problem. It's a concern. It's even a pet peeve!

People seem to be using the word "issue" instead of "problem", and they seem to love using it! I don't know if they think they're using it in a "psychological" way, or if they think that using "issue" rather than "problem" sounds smarter. The irony is that I've noticed that people who are less educated or of lower socio-economic status are the ones using the word most often!

Using the word to describe "current issues" or "controversial issues" is fine; using it to describe a cashier who has a problem with coupon use is not. It's fine to use it to talk about the "issue at hand", but not to discuss people's criticisms of your parenting or your SIL's inability to get along with you. It's becoming such a catch-all of a word, and I think the worst use of it is someone asking another person, "What's your issue?" *cringe*

Please carefully consider your use of the word "issue"! The word is becoming an absolute scourge.

Rant over. Thanks for listening.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    GoJays likes this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think issue sounds less daunting. When I tell my supervisor that we have an issue (quick fix maybe), it sounds better than saying we have a problem (it's gonna be a long day).

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lghend View Post
    I think issue sounds less daunting. When I tell my supervisor that we have an issue (quick fix maybe), it sounds better than saying we have a problem (it's gonna be a long day).
    That's how I use the word "issue" as well.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    21 (100%)

Well, you clearly seem to have an issue with the word "issue".
    abbasgirl, aussie, jonesy and 7 others like this.
    Shop online often? Join ebates.ca to get cashback on your purchases! I have earned over $230 to date.

Always looking for Pampers Gift To Grow codes! If you don't use them, please RAOK them to me.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by salady View Post
    Well, you clearly seem to have an issue with the word "issue".
    Lol, I was going to post that!

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I can understand how you are feeling.

My current word pet peeve is 'narrative' becoming overused or used incorrectly.
    renegado, DaveP and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Mine is 'outcomes'.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

For me it's "best practices"

Nails down a blackboard lol
    Natalka, DaveP, walkonby and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I have issues with the narrative being changed when it comes to best practices being used to achieve outcomes.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

I have an ESL fiancé who says "literally" when he means "seriously". Drives me crazy, but I can forgive him since he speaks more languages than I do, and I tried learning his native language and gave up after about 5 words
    Natalka, newb, DaveP and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When did the phrase, "Excuse me," change from a polite expression to a rude expression?

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Maybe I have misinterpreted the original post, but I understand that particular usage of the word to be legitimate.
    http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/issue (see item 6b(2)...holy sets and subsets, Batman!)
    Have I misunderstood?

sun_shine, I completely agree. Using "literally" to mean "almost" or "seriously" irritates me, too. (I've heard people say "I literally died laughing!" Ah, but you're back! It's a miracle! LOL)
    And the (non)word irregardless. Like fingernails on a chalkboard.
    Tinkerbella likes this.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

I guess I should follow that post with something of a disclaimer: languages are constantly evolving, including words taking on new meanings. I think this is one of those cases. As an example, "gay" doesn't have the same connotation now that it did years ago. I once heard a program on CBC that toyed with the concept of doing away with punctuation...AAAAAAAACK
    torontogal12 and Tinkerbella like this.
    Jesus saves!
    SWAGBUCKS pays for so many of my housewares... http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/DizzyB

So many ways to earn at Mintvine https://mintvine.com/users/register/...9d2f2fe5be93d3

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sun_shine View Post
    I have an ESL fiancé who says "literally" when he means "seriously". Drives me crazy, but I can forgive him since he speaks more languages than I do, and I tried learning his native language and gave up after about 5 words
    sun_shine, I sure can relate! Over the years, I've run into lots of similar instances with my husband, for whom English is his hmm... maybe sixth language? - so I gently correct if appropriate - otherwise like you, I am thrilled he is as fluent as he is!

I've also tutored and taught ESL - nipping things in the bud is always the best thing to do, to catch incorrect usages early.
    DaveP and sun_shine like this.

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    sun_shine, I sure can relate! Over the years, I've run into lots of similar instances with my husband, for whom English is his hmm... maybe sixth language? - so I gently correct if appropriate - otherwise like you, I am thrilled he is as fluent as he is!

I've also tutored and taught ESL - nipping things in the bud is always the best thing to do, to catch incorrect usages early.
    There are certain words that he mispronounces (often, he KNOWS he is mispronouncing them, but can't seem to produce the correct pronunciation at the moment. It's cute how frustrated he gets by this ) which I have just adjusted to and don't "correct" him on. I just worry that when we have children, they will start to say things the way he does instead of the "right" way!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information