User Tag List

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: Getting rid of cable...?

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    I think you can watch it online too but we have it as a roku app
    I have USATVNow installed as an app on my Boxee, but I am quite sure you can also watch online (just choose "USA" as the country because if you choose Canada you will get nothing).
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    I have USATVNow installed as an app on my Boxee, but I am quite sure you can also watch online (just choose "USA" as the country because if you choose Canada you will get nothing).
    Opposite. Saying USA will tell you that you are not eligible. It is meant for Americans abroad
    barbis9 likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

we cut cable in the spring, and it was liberating! cable companies want you to think you just cannot live without all the extra channels.

luckily i am in the GTA so an $80 antenna picks up a dozen local channels, which is all I really want anyways. I found that with 225 channels, i was only watching a small handful of local channels anyways. I cannot stand talk shows, reality shows, cooking shows etc. lol... i'm weird.

even when we hadn't mounted the antenna on the side of the house yet, we had it propped up against the wall in the living room, and it picked up signals just fine.

you can even get PVR's for use with an antenna.

the best thing is that with an antenna, kids programming is not on 24/7. little buggers are not tempted to be glued to the TV, and they actually play! it's refreshing.
    with local channels on antenna, all they get is after school cartoons and weekend cartoons, just like we did when we were kids, and we turned out just fine

enjoy cutting the cord, you will never look back after you do!
    In 2020 I had 100 FREE Grocery pickups! Subscribe to PC Optimum Insiders & get 25,000 PC Optimum pts
    Get 10% back in points on all PC products - Free PC Express pickup with priority time slots - Free shipping with no minimum spend on joefresh.com and shoppersdrugmart.ca
    R
    eferral code to sign up: AN1455

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by anisa View Post
    we cut cable in the spring, and it was liberating! cable companies want you to think you just cannot live without all the extra channels.

luckily i am in the GTA so an $80 antenna picks up a dozen local channels, which is all I really want anyways. I found that with 225 channels, i was only watching a small handful of local channels anyways. I cannot stand talk shows, reality shows, cooking shows etc. lol... i'm weird.

even when we hadn't mounted the antenna on the side of the house yet, we had it propped up against the wall in the living room, and it picked up signals just fine.

you can even get PVR's for use with an antenna.

the best thing is that with an antenna, kids programming is not on 24/7. little buggers are not tempted to be glued to the TV, and they actually play! it's refreshing.
    with local channels on antenna, all they get is after school cartoons and weekend cartoons, just like we did when we were kids, and we turned out just fine

enjoy cutting the cord, you will never look back after you do!
    I agree with you 100%! Never regretted cancelling cable.
    Ciel and dededi like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    If anyone does want a Roku stick for streaming - Walmart has them for $11 for Black Friday!
    It was most likely a price error. The price was fixed today morning.

I have ordered one at that price, but WM is up to its old tricks and instead of admitting it as a price error, they have sent me an email saying its back ordered and my order will be automatically cancelled after 28 days.

I ordered it literally minutes after the price error.

Almost All the people, who have ordered it at that price , have got that message.
    ROMEO, barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

I'm trying to figure this out too. We have smart TVs that connect to our wifi, but DS really likes watching the Family channel, and DH has a few shows that he watches regularly. The ROKU is so you can connect to the internet with your TV and stream content right? And if so, I don't need it since my TV can already go online?
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Yes, I was wondering what was out there as well. The Roku site doesn't give a clear idea of what you can get as free channels and which can only be subscribed (Netflix, Cineplex, etc). If that USAtv is $20/mth and I pay about $37 for basic cable, I'm not really out much.

https://support.ustvnow.com/entries/...are-available-

Looks like it's initially $20/mth for 3 months, then goes up to $30/mth
    Last edited by padyofurniture; Fri, Dec 19th, 2014 at 07:08 AM.
    ROMEO and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    8 (100%)

we r with rogers for internet and TV cable. Want to get rid of cable so bought RCA 121 antenna, but able to get only 2 channels CTV and global and some time omni. we only want treehouse, TVO kids, YTV and CP24 and none of these coming I tried and tried almost every position and angle. we are in a low rise building (3rd floor) near 14th ave and Kennedy Rd in Markham. Any idea? Any helpful tip? Thanks in advance
    ROMEO likes this.
    Need a cheap but still reliable phone plan. Try Public Mobile. Plans starting from $15 ($13 with auto payment).
    Use code R8NLM8 or link when activate with Public Mobile and we both will get $10 bonus.
    Win some extra cash or gift cards. Try Swagbucks... ww.swagbucks.com/refer/uanoor

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by uanoor View Post
    we r with rogers for internet and TV cable. Want to get rid of cable so bought RCA 121 antenna, but able to get only 2 channels CTV and global and some time omni. we only want treehouse, TVO kids, YTV and CP24 and none of these coming I tried and tried almost every position and angle. we are in a low rise building (3rd floor) near 14th ave and Kennedy Rd in Markham. Any idea? Any helpful tip? Thanks in advance
    i would think that TVO should be coming to you but then, there are lots of high-rises on the north end of Toronto which could affect signal strength/reception. The other stations you mentioned are considered cable or specialty (Treehouse) stations, so don't hold your breath for them.

If there are trees around your building or taller buildings, they too can affect signals. You might notice that you get better signal strength at night or other times of the day. I'm in Hamilton. OMNI seems to work on weekends but not weekdays. Same with City but sporadically get some minutes of Cityline on weekdays and same with Breakfast Television without the picture breaking up into digital bits or screen going black while audio continues.
    Last edited by Ciel; Fri, Jan 23rd, 2015 at 08:28 PM.
    uanoor and ROMEO like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by uanoor View Post
    we only want treehouse, TVO kids, YTV and CP24 and none of these coming I tried and tried almost every position and angle. we are in a low rise building (3rd floor) near 14th ave and Kennedy Rd in Markham. Any idea? Any helpful tip? Thanks in advance
    TreeHouse, YTV and CP24 are ONLY available via cable or satellite (closed circuit services). TVO is over-the-air, but your location might be obstructed based on your description.
    uanoor and ROMEO like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I just downgraded my cable to basic as there are a couple cartoon channels and tsn! everything else we can get through you tube and netflix, dont feel like paying extra when there arent any real benefits. personally i wanted to cancel everything but my husband wanted to be able to watch hockey and sports. it took our total monthly bill down $60!
    ROMEO and LunchLady like this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We have been off cable for years now and will not look back.

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

Krrosell: We are probably the same cable company & I was just fed up with the increasing prices. We downgraded in August to just basic as DH was not ready to make a complete break. What he realized is he really did not miss much so he just bought a 60.00 antenna and discovered we still get all the channels we wanted so cable we be soon cut and the PVRs sold on Kijiji.
    krrosell likes this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    I'm trying to figure this out too. We have smart TVs that connect to our wifi, but DS really likes watching the Family channel, and DH has a few shows that he watches regularly. The ROKU is so you can connect to the internet with your TV and stream content right? And if so, I don't need it since my TV can already go online?
    Quote Originally Posted by padyofurniture View Post
    Yes, I was wondering what was out there as well. The Roku site doesn't give a clear idea of what you can get as free channels and which can only be subscribed (Netflix, Cineplex, etc).
    Is it only worth getting a Roku if you're also planning on getting a subscription to Netflix or USATVNow? Crackle looks like it may be a good free channel, but are there other good ones as well?

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

We use Plex a lot to watch stuff from our computers, YouTube, tune in radio, crackle
    padyofurniture likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information