User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree110Likes

Thread: Keeping kids off my lawn !

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I'm fairly new to my neighbourhood. I live on a corner lot with no fence. I keep catching kids playing in my backyard (soccer and baseball) and now I've caught them playing in my front yard (playing IN my new landscaping and rocks !). I want to be nice and friendly but what can I say to keep them off my property. I don't want them getting hurt playing on my property and I don't want them ruining my NEW grass and landscaping. Last year the teens that live behind us kept smashing their football into my window. Thank God it didn't break. I spoke to their father but he didn't seem to give a sh*t. What can I do? I'm afraid my property is becoming a public park ! These kids show zero respect and their parents aren't teaching them to stay off other people's property. Ughhh it's so stressful. Any advice would help. Thanks.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I live in a neighborhood with tons of kids as well. Not only do I get kids in my back yard, but I get a huge dog that comes around a few times a day. The pooch goes from yard to yard to yard in the neighborhood. No one says nothing, I can't be bothered with talking to the neighbors about the kids or the dog. (As the kids mind their own business, and the dog only saunters around minding his own business as well)

The reason I don't care one way or the other is the back yard has been around for years, so the grass is what it is. The front lawn as well. (I sometimes say, that the dog has "squatters rights"- as he has been around so long- I am the intruder as far as he is concerned! LOL!)

What I would NOT tolerate is a kid hitting something against a window, or the house, or the shed. That is where the buck would stop there. It is too bad the Dad did not care. The solution however if you can afford it put up a monster high fence. That should fix things up.

Good luck to you!
    greeny and WINNIPEGZELDA like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by maggiespice View Post
    I live in a neighborhood with tons of kids as well. Not only do I get kids in my back yard, but I get a huge dog that comes around a few times a day. The pooch goes from yard to yard to yard in the neighborhood. No one says nothing, I can't be bothered with talking to the neighbors about the kids or the dog. (As the kids mind their own business, and the dog only saunters around minding his own business as well)

The reason I don't care one way or the other is the back yard has been around for years, so the grass is what it is. The front lawn as well. (I sometimes say, that the dog has "squatters rights"- as he has been around so long- I am the intruder as far as he is concerned! LOL!)

What I would NOT tolerate is a kid hitting something against a window, or the house, or the shed. That is where the buck would stop there. It is too bad the Dad did not care. The solution however if you can afford it put up a monster high fence. That should fix things up.

Good luck to you!
    I have gotten a few estimates for fences, but the price is ridiculous. It's going to cost me thousands as my property is large. It's not fair I should have to fork over that much money to keep OTHER people's kids off my property. Not only that, but these kids also hang out on the side and front of my property where the fence wouldn't be anyways. They have been caught on my back porch and front porch and jumping through my front yard landscaping where I have rocks that cost a lot of money. These kids have lawns of their own. I don't understand why they like my property so much. It's insane how little respect these kids and teens have. I just don't know what to do. I'm always afraid they are going to break a window or cause other types of damage.
    Davetherave likes this.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Set out a sprinkler that starts with a motion detector!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    98 (100%)

I'd say your only permanent option is a fence. There isn't really anything else you can do but tell them to please stay off your grass. Chain link would be cheaper then wood

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by julies1949 View Post
    You can get them for $59.95 or lower at certain Canadian stores and websites... Let me know if it works , 'cause I've got people cutting through my yard every single day. And most of them are grown adults who get off at the bus stop at the top of my street, walk halfway down the block, and then cut through my yard to get to the street behind us. Grown adults carrying briefcases! or groceries! And they glare at us when we ask them to please not cut through our yard. And my spouse won't let me get one of these because he says it wouldn't be nice. AAGH! ...Anyway, I feel your pain, @greeny .

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

is there a chance that because your new to the neighborhood these are just simply things they did before you moved in? and was something ok with the previous home owner? or could this be in part why the previous home owner moved?? have you considered escalating the issue? if talking to them doesn't work, talking to the parents doesn't work, next get the police involved and file a complaint? (though this could also go negatively)

have you googled to try different options for fencing?? you can find cheaper options for fencing if you get creative my parents have a rather large lawn which they had to fence in (have two dogs) they found a relatively affordable way to fence in the yard (yes it wasn't cheap but it was significantly a traditional fence) could you simply get away with roping off your yard.. putting up a few poles and then stringing some ropes it won't look the prettiest BUT it will block off easy access to the yard (they would then have to make a effort to go through/around a rope or chicken wire to get into the yard and that might just just the deterrent needed to keep people out

i wouldn't put up with a ball hitting my house either.. that just simply is NOT ok.. i'd probably go out there take the ball and stab it with a knife in anger lol but that's just me.. as you said they could have easily broken your window or damaged your siding by doing this, to me it sounds like they are purposely doing this to peeve you off
    greeny likes this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Fences make good neighbours... would seriously consider just biting the bullet and paying for a fence if that is something you are able to do. Serenity and sanity is worth its' weight in gold.
    Tweets77, greeny, Decaf and 2 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by julies1949 View Post
    Wow, love this idea!! It's funny it never bothered me when my kids were little and all the neighborhood kids ran on everyone's lawn, that's just kids being kids, but now that my kids are all grown up, the kid next door bouncing his basketball for 2 hours seems to irritate me, or the kids playing hockey in front of my house instead of their own hahaha!!
    Ciel, greeny, Shwa Girl and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

my last house was a corner house , we had the same problem. we lived there for 25 yrs, we had schools on all 4 sides of the area......no way to prevent kids from playing on it.....your best bet is a fence.

thank god there are no kids where we live now. ;-)
    Ciel, greeny, SavvyLady and 1 others like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by lorken View Post
    You can get them for $59.95 or lower at certain Canadian stores and websites... Let me know if it works , 'cause I've got people cutting through my yard every single day. And most of them are grown adults who get off at the bus stop at the top of my street, walk halfway down the block, and then cut through my yard to get to the street behind us. Grown adults carrying briefcases! or groceries! And they glare at us when we ask them to please not cut through our yard. And my spouse won't let me get one of these because he says it wouldn't be nice. AAGH! ...Anyway, I feel your pain, @greeny.
    I want to remain on good terms with kids in the neighbourhood. God knows what they'd do to my house if I ever pissed them off lol. I'm worried they would enjoy the motion detector sprinkler and end up using it all summer with their swim clothes on lol I'll just be left with a big water bill. Or worse, they could just destroy the sprinkler. I have damage on the one side of my house, someone smashed the rain gutter on the side of the house. I don't know who to blame as I don't know which kid did it. The thing is, if the kids were just sitting on my lawn, fine I'm ok with that (to an extent). It's the fact they are using my new lawn as a soccer and football field, they have hit my windows. The parents don't care. Even if I get a fence, that would only take care of the backyard, they will still be all over my front yard and in my landscaping. I just don't understand why their parents haven't taught them NOT to play on other people's lawns. I don't have kids so it's not like they are on my lawn playing with my kids or something. I really blame the parents. At this point, I think the parents just want to keep the kids off their own lawns so they are more than happy my lawn is the neighbourhood playground. Ughhh.
    SavvyLady and toronto166 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Midnightly View Post
    is there a chance that because your new to the neighborhood these are just simply things they did before you moved in? and was something ok with the previous home owner? or could this be in part why the previous home owner moved?? have you considered escalating the issue? if talking to them doesn't work, talking to the parents doesn't work, next get the police involved and file a complaint? (though this could also go negatively)

have you googled to try different options for fencing?? you can find cheaper options for fencing if you get creative my parents have a rather large lawn which they had to fence in (have two dogs) they found a relatively affordable way to fence in the yard (yes it wasn't cheap but it was significantly a traditional fence) could you simply get away with roping off your yard.. putting up a few poles and then stringing some ropes it won't look the prettiest BUT it will block off easy access to the yard (they would then have to make a effort to go through/around a rope or chicken wire to get into the yard and that might just just the deterrent needed to keep people out

i wouldn't put up with a ball hitting my house either.. that just simply is NOT ok.. i'd probably go out there take the ball and stab it with a knife in anger lol but that's just me.. as you said they could have easily broken your window or damaged your siding by doing this, to me it sounds like they are purposely doing this to peeve you off
    It was an empty lot filled with weeds before our house was built. Fencing would take care of the backyard but they also play all over my front yard and front porch, and landscaping. Yes, they were purposely hitting my windows with the ball and then hiding behind the bushes (as if it was some sort of fun game for them). I'm just upset their parents don't care.
    Last edited by greeny; Wed, Mar 23rd, 2016 at 03:07 PM.
    Ciel and toronto166 like this.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by SavvyLady View Post
    Wow, love this idea!! It's funny it never bothered me when my kids were little and all the neighborhood kids ran on everyone's lawn, that's just kids being kids, but now that my kids are all grown up, the kid next door bouncing his basketball for 2 hours seems to irritate me, or the kids playing hockey in front of my house instead of their own hahaha!!
    Yeah I wonder why kids don't just play in front of their OWN houses. I just don't get it. I had some teenager park his car on my driveway once even though the house he was visiting was 6 houses down ! I mean wth? My yard is the public park and my driveway is the public driveway. I don't get this neighbourhood and I'm wishing I never moved here. Nothing but stress.
    Ciel and toronto166 like this.

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

what about something like this?.. http://www.thelittlepostandchaincomp...k/gallery.html
    its cheap enough to do yourself...

also if you own your home the city will plant trees for free. at least here in hamilton they do, we had 3 globe maples planted on our property. you just have to trim every yr or so.

also can plant a privacy hedge?
    Ciel, greeny and toronto166 like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Try the chain link fence, put up private property no trespassing sign. Security camera sign, dog sign ect...just to help them visualize that the area belongs to someone now. Plant a hedge.

Try to make the area un-attractive for kids as possible. Put "keep off lawn, pesticide spray" sign. Bribe them with chocolate when you tell them to go play at the park. I don't know if that doesn't work yell at them.

BTW, not only they played on my property they also left their garbage (tissues, empty bottles, candy wrappers) in my driveway. My next door neigbour kid is very active. He practiced street hockey before and after school. Very annoying when I am trying to sleep. I hate street hockey and basket ball sounds.
    Ciel, greeny, Linda Evans and 1 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information