User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: Going South? Target's policy - men permitted in women's washroom

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Target USA has a new policy that allows transgendered persons to use the Target washroom they choose. The policy states that a person can use the washroom where they self identify as male or as female. The policy is for customers, employee and any citizen.

Is it possible for a man, who is not transgendered, to use the women's washroom with bad intent? Are women or girls at risk using Target's public washrooms alone?

A man in the US tried out the policy. He is not transgendered. He used the women's washroom.
    There is a petition in the US, with 1 million signatures. Target's stock price has dropped.

Here is a video of the video of the non transgendered man at Target. He was not permitted to post the original video since he did not get permission to film in Target, to film target employees or to film at a women's washroom.

Caution: language
    This thread is currently associated with: Target
    knitting nurse likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Would this not be solved by having a third family bathroom both genders can use, most stores have them anyway.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Sun, May 1st, 2016 at 03:52 PM.
    Thumpersmom, Shwa Girl and Candini like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    Would this not be solved by having a third family bathroom both genders can use, most stores have them anyway.
    You are correct. The third bathroom usually has a changing table too and is accessible by wheelchair or mobility device.
    You are a genius seylz_gurl! Target should have just done as you said.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Is it possible for a man, who is not transgendered, to use the women's washroom with bad intent? Are women or girls at risk using Target's public washrooms alone?

It's nothing new and never has been ..Google sexual bathroom attacks and there's plenty of male on female, male on male, female on male and female on female but none of trans sexually attacking others...

Sexual predators have been walking into bathrooms since bathrooms have been segregated...

Talking to my family about it, my mother was followed into a Ladies when she was in her teens, so early 1950's..my sister in the '70s and that was the reason I used to go in a group in the 80's..

The idea that "allowing Transpeople" to use the bathroom of their gender is somehow wrong is denying them their civil rights. Forcing them to use the bathroom of the opposite gender is to put them at risk physically in many cases..

That some men will decide that wearing a dress will make it easier to molest others...sure some will try it but at the end of the day, it's due to them being predators who'd act anyway if they saw an opportunity.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Christian group admits to sending men into women's bathrooms

Across the country, conservative groups are working to pass anti-LGBT legislation that would bar transgender people the right to use public restrooms. The faulty logic at play is that transgender people are simply dressing up as the opposite gender to gain access to young boys and girls.
    This. Is. Not. Happening.
    But rather than take a moment of reflection and realize that what’s really at work here is regular old transphobia and fear-mongering being used to hit back at the LGBT community for having scored a number of recent victories at the state and federal level, conservatives are trying to invent the problem to justify their barbaric solution. For an obvious example, look no further than designated hate group American Family Association, whose director of governmental affairs, Sandy Rios, just admitted that her organization has been sending men into women’s bathrooms at Target in the hopes of eliciting a reaction.
    Why Target? The store recently outraged Republicans by publicly standing with the LGBT community and saying its customers can use whichever bathroom they feel most comfortable with. This set in motion the usual calls for boycotts, the usual right-wing smears, and now this… a movement to harass women in Target bathrooms so they are scared enough to demand the policy change.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    It's nothing new and never has been ..Google sexual bathroom attacks and there's plenty of male on female, male on male, female on male and female on female but none of trans sexually attacking others...

Sexual predators have been walking into bathrooms since bathrooms have been segregated...

Talking to my family about it, my mother was followed into a Ladies when she was in her teens, so early 1950's..my sister in the '70s and that was the reason I used to go in a group in the 80's..

The idea that "allowing Transpeople" to use the bathroom of their gender is somehow wrong is denying them their civil rights. Forcing them to use the bathroom of the opposite gender is to put them at risk physically in many cases..

That some men will decide that wearing a dress will make it easier to molest others...sure some will try it but at the end of the day, it's due to them being predators who'd act anyway if they saw an opportunity.
    You know, @Darth Penguin, it just struck me that the custom of women going to the ladies room together suddenly makes sense! I wonder if this started because women were afraid of entering them way back whenever this started, or is it just a 'chummy' thing?
    I think it still makes sense.
    When we have to stop at an unfamiliar restroom (gas station, highway restaurant), my DH stands near the door because he knows that basically I'm a chicken....these days it's because of my habit of toppling over now and then.

Anyhoodles: that's one custom we women may have to institute again, if it's ever left.....hm. Just struck me as quite sensible..

As to whether or not, should or shouldn't, I love @seyls_gurl's idea of a third alternative. Although.....the trangendered may not feel very safe in there, either....It would be "the" washroom "they" use and would centre them out even more.

Personally? I think they should use whatever sexes' washroom they identify with.
    Last edited by Lynn49; Sat, May 14th, 2016 at 06:55 PM.
    Thumpersmom likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

https://theconversation.com/how-did-...st-place-59575

For years, transgender rights activists have argued for their right to use the public restroom that aligns with their gender identity. In recent weeks, this campaign has come to a head.
    In March, North Carolina enacted a law requiring that people be allowed to use only the public restroom that corresponds to the sex on their birth certificates. Meanwhile, the White House has taken an opposing position, directing that transgender students be allowed to use the bathroom that matches their gender identity. In response, on May 25, 11 states sued the Obama administration to block the federal government from enforcing the directive.
    Some argue that one solution to this impasse is to convert all public restrooms to unisex use, thereby eliminating the need to even consider a patron’s sex. This might strike some as bizarre or drastic. Many assume that separating restrooms based on a person’s biological sex is the “natural” way to determine who should and should not be permitted to use these public spaces.
    In fact, laws in the U.S. did not even address the issue of separating public restrooms by sex until the end of the 19th century, when Massachusetts became the first state to enact such a statute. By 1920, over 40 states had adopted similar legislation requiring that public restrooms be separated by sex.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I think the easiest solution is to make individual, family type bathrooms and completely remove the others. That way no one has to feel uncomfortable. If I had a business, I think this is the way I would go to create less of a PR/PC nightmare.
    Thumpersmom likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alise-...10358198.html?

keep waiting, but it hasn’t happened yet. A few weeks ago, there were lots of men looking out for the safety of American women everywhere by wanting to ban transgender women from using the ladies’ rooms at Target and other public places. We were told how women were precious, how they needed protected from “men in dresses.” When the current administration sent out messages to schools giving guidelines on how to treat transgender students, 11 states sued to make sure that our girls are safe in their locker rooms from transgender girls.

Oh, I heard them say that it wasn’t REALLY the trans people they were worried about. Sure, there would be plenty of opportunities to call them freaks and perverts. Lots of chances to remind us that there are just a few of them, so why should we bow to their desires. Lots of dismissive language that told trans men and women that their comfort and mental health don’t matter in the grand scheme of things.

But no, it wasn’t primarily the trans people (especially trans women) that we needed to be protected from. It was the the pedophiles and the voyeurs who would take advantage of the laws. It was the men who would dress up like a woman so they could prey on women in bathrooms. Those were the real threat. Those were the men that needed to be dealt with. Violent men who would do actual harm against women — those were the men that we needed to be on the lookout for, those were who the men were concerned about. Keep women safe from men who were violent.

So when Stanford rapist Brock Turner got a mere six-month sentence, I started waiting.

Waiting for all of these men to start posting their outrage at the system that so dramatically failed a young woman.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Target toilet bombed

A small bomb exploded in the women's bathroom at a Target store in Evanston on Wednesday, and officials are investigating whether it’s connected to the company’s policy allowing transgender people to use the bathroom of their choice. Commander Joe Dugan says no one was inside the bathroom when the small explosion happened a little after 4 o'clock. It caused minor damage and no one was injured. Early indications are that a plastic bottle was used but no projectiles like nails or tacks were inside it. Investigators are gathering evidence including examining store security camera video.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Person of interest in custody

A woman has been taken into custody Thursday as a person of interest after a small bomb exploded in the bathroom of a Target store the day before, police said.
    No charges have been filed against the 44-year-old woman, police said in a news release.
    "The detectives are not currently looking for any known additional suspects, and (at) this point there is no indication that the incident is related to any policies that the Target store has in place," the release reads.
    Evanston police requested the help of the Cook County bomb squad late Wednesday afternoon after an explosion in a Target store restroom possibly set off by a small bomb, police said.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^thank goodness nobody was hurt.
    Shwa Girl likes this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I had an interesting experience at Toronto's ROM last weekend; I entered a non-traditional washroom, not gender-specific, although I can't remember the wording...a woman and I walked in, and when I walked out, a man exited one of the stalls too. It felt a little wierd. Thank goodness the urinals were all bagged and taped over!

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Actually, this policy of Target's is not new. It has been that way at least the past 5 years.
    Darth Penguin likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by ilovecats View Post
    Actually, this policy of Target's is not new. It has been that way at least the past 5 years.
    yup...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information