User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree108Likes

Thread: Stolen package!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Another issue I have, and it's mainly with UPS is that the driver doesnt even ATTEMPT to see if I'm home.

I've been home, watched him back into the driveway... run the parcel to the doorstep drop it, and run back to his truck. He didnt knock, ring the doorbell, or anything of the sort. His delivery doesn't "require" a signature, so he doesn't even bother. The funny thing was that this was a 40-inch LCD TV. It wasnt heavy nor even that bulky to carry... but it was enough that I wouldnt leave it on someone's front door step not knowing if they were home or not.

AND UPS drivers seem to see fit to put it wherever he/she THINKS I'll find it. I have two stories on this one:
    (grab some snacks... this may take a while)

1.) UPS Hide-&-seek

I was once waiting for a time-sensitive parcel. when it didnt arrive on-time (a Wednesday, and I needed it by the weekend) I contacted the shipper who had sent it... they tracked it, and said it was delivered 'on time'. They gave me the tracking # (by this time after a couple of email exchanges it was now late Friday) and sure enough UPS says it was delivered Wednesday (otherwise on time) but I didnt have it. -- I called UPS and they said "maybe the driver left it with a neighbour or hid it somewhere safe, like under a deck, or behind some bushes, or in a garbage can" --- to which I replied (almost verbatim) "First of all, he has no business delivering it my neighbours. That's not the address on the delivery, and I don't live at those addresses. Second of all, I shouldn't have to play hide-and-seek with my deliveries... asking my neighbours, or looking in obscure hiding places. Lastly, a GARBAGE CAN? Good thing it wasnt garbage day, or it would be GONE." ... I did find it eventually. He stashed it in a deck-box near my backdoor. For one, I *NEVER* use the back entrance, let alone would I look in the deck-box for it. I'm glad it was 'safe' but I shouldnt have to go hunting for it.

2.) the GPS from Costco

The next time it happened, it was a $300+ GPS unit from Costco.ca (shipped UPS). Of course, I couldnt find it (or I wouldnt be telling this story), so I called them again... they told me the same thing as above (ie: neighbour, hidden, etc) and I gave them the same reply as last time. Although this time, I had already looked around the yard in the most logical locations before I called them and couldnt find it. I filed a claim with Costco who promptly sent me a replacement, next-day delivery - this time with a signature required, so I had to to pick it up at a drop-off location (a small business down the street) because I wasnt home to sign for it. Going to pick it up was a minor inconvenience, but I'll take this over the other hassles I've had to endure. I had my GPS, so I was content.

A few months later, I was clearing out much of the landscaping around my yard and found the box deeply buried behind a shrub in my back yard. It would have been impossible to have been blown there by there by accident. Besides, it was sitting straight and upright. Someone put it there intentionally (guess who? UPS, that's who).

The label was ALMOST illegible, and the carton was water-logged swollen (but dry at this point). Inside, the GPS packaging was ruined. The coloured had ran, and the the cardboard outer shell was damp and "peeled away" from the main box like a candy wrapper. However the unit inside was fine as it was all wrapped in plastic. Whatever weather it had endured didnt penetrate that deeply. Doing the right thing, I called Costco and reported that I had found the once-missing parcel and asking what should I do with it. After a few days, Costco replied and told me to keep it as the lost-parcel claim had already been settled. Plus the condition of the unit was "beyond repair". -- I then called UPS to complain about the otherwise impossible to find delivery, discovered three months later. Although they didnt seem to care (I'm guessing they see that as a success since it WAS delivered), I've never had a parcel lost like that again. Now if they leave a parcel, they leave it in plain sight, but they wrap it in a plastic bag. Easy pickings for a walk-by thief.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I'm glad you're getting another one. Our local Canada Post office/workers here are wonderful, but UPS is the worst!
    Last edited by nicolthepickle; Thu, Sep 8th, 2016 at 09:17 AM.
    Newfiescreech, ROMEO and barbis9 like this.
    It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

@bhlombardy Fedex do the same for me, they throw packages on the lawn and leave. UPS are pretty reliable, I have issues with random packages not showing up in UPS MyChoice so I don't know they are coming but the actual delivery guy is great. Purolator have held most of my recent packages in Toronto and taken 1+ week for overnight packages but once they hit the local depot, no issues
    Newfiescreech and barbis9 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

My mail has forward to my new addy, my brother helped us by registering the new addy my parcels always came, my mom it's at home all the time now

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

You need to report to the police. It can be more than just stolen packages. The invoice has your information on it. I would advice reporting to your condo manager as well, even escalate it to the management company if you can.

I feel you, man. I live in a condo on a top floor -02 unit. Few years back, my brother ordered some expensive soccer jersey and it was stolen by some guy at a -03 unit few floors down. The front desk has signed for it, so we knew it has arrived from the online tracking. My brother was very mad that the front desk has lost the package. The condo manager called the police. They reviewed the camera footage. A man just walked behind the desk and took it when the security was on patrol.

The police came to our home and took some information. He reviewed the security tape and took hours to identify the guy and went to his unit. When the police knocked on his door, "I'm here about a package." He knew exactly what it is and surrendered the shirts.

The guy might or might not have taken it by mistake, but he knew it wasn't his and he kept the shirts. My brother wanted to press charges but the cop advice us to keep it cool. I still can't believe that guy didn't have to pay for his crime! The condo manager passed a note to the owner telling him the misconduct of the tenant, but she has no right to evict him either.

That was the single incident that prompted the renovation of the lobby to include a lock cabinet. It was so unjust. We are the victims and we are paying for the crime!! Hope there really is karma in the world.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I have everything I order online delivered to my work address....at least then I know it will be delivered, and not stolen.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCouponSaver78 View Post
    My mail has forward to my new addy, my brother helped us by registering the new addy my parcels always came, my mom it's at home all the time now
    Just an FYI that CP mail forwarding only requires them to forward letters, they don't always forward the parcels
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by mulock View Post
    I have everything I order online delivered to my work address....at least then I know it will be delivered, and not stolen.
    laughs...The company I worked for had ordered a very expensive piece of scientific equipment. when it was delivered, the reception staff had stepped out and some-one else signed for it. Not a member of staff. a passerby who trashed it because they couldn't use the high end computer attached to it as it only ran the diagnostic functions of the machine and was useless otherwise.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Lots of horror stories here about packages, wow!

I had ordered a camera from Staples a few years ago, and I don't know what service they used (some kind of courier) but they dumped it on my doorstep and didn't knock or anything. We were home all day. There was a box with big black letters reading NIKON that a person could probably read from the street sitting wide open on the steps for at least 6 hours.

I left them a message about that one. I was not impressed at all!

Quote Originally Posted by FallenPixels View Post
    Just an FYI that CP mail forwarding only requires them to forward letters, they don't always forward the parcels
    Yes! When you pay for mail forwarding they only are guaranteeing to forward your lettermail. NOT parcels. If you happen to get parcels, you're lucky, but as far as I know the service still strictly only covers lettermail. Get everyone up to date before holidays and birthdays!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I had one returned as oversized despite being sent from the PO as lettermail, the computer kicks them if they don't fit the slot size etc so depends how it gets sorted
    ~ ~ ~

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I was told you can ask for "do not safe drop" option from Canada Post at no extra charge - that way a signature is required to get the item.

I have been very lucky - most of my courier people ring the doorbell and make a genuine attempt to deliver. Though I have seen some Canada Post drivers come with the notification already filled out and seem surprised when I open the door.....

I have a locked screen door and one courier company always manages somehow to unlock it and put the parcel in the door.
    Last edited by barbis9; Fri, Sep 23rd, 2016 at 07:09 AM.
    Newfiescreech and dededi like this.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

This is a perk to living in an apartment building, and also a curse. Some days, when we have delivery people that are at our building a lot, they will leave it in our door way, which is pretty safe, our apartment is around a corner from the elevator and we know our neighbors and the two of us share the small hallway. Other times they do not bother to call my extension at the front of the building because it all goes to my cell and just leave pick up notices. with my work hours that can sometimes be challenging as they are normal business hours.
    Newfiescreech and dededi like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    34 (100%)

LOL I got someone else package today as well! :p

I swear I did not keep it...

Newfiescreech likes this.
    "Freedom is a myth, love is non-existent and privacy is delusional! No right to live or die"

Like for me no apparent reason!
    https://www.facebook.com/Arvilish-133128550466283/

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

My missing package that Purolator said they delivered ages ago was delivered by Purolator yesterday, so not accidentally given to a neighbour who dropped it off...
    Newfiescreech likes this.
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    189 (100%)

I heard a story the other day, won`t name drop the shipping company, but they had a driver deliver a package to a home on one of the wealthiest streets in my city. Anyhow, the owner caught on tape the courier throwing the box over the fence (can`t remember if it was a camera or something)

He only got a 2 day suspension...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information