User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Walmart charging 5 cents a bag

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

The Walmart stores in the Halifax NS area are now charging 5 cents a bag . You have to be careful since they do not always warn you of the charge.
    This thread is currently associated with: Walmart
    barbis9 and walkonby like this.

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

At some grocery stores in the Great Toronto Area, I have seen shoppers put the products back in their cart, take NO bags, and walk out with a cart full of products. It's a good idea to have the receipt in hand to show the 'greeters'.
    No one has to buy a bag at Walmart.
    barbis9, Ciel, Poirot and 3 others like this.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yes, here just west of Toronto also. I was there just today and she asked me if I'd like to buy a bag. My response: Uh, no. I do not want to buy a bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by nwf1946 View Post
    The Walmart stores in the Halifax NS area are now charging 5 cents a bag . You have to be careful since they do not always warn you of the charge.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I try to address the bag situation with the cashier before the ask or say no thank you if I don't need the bag or say I will need X bag(s) with my purchase today. It has got to be hard for cashiers to ask all shift about the bags (it must rank up there for asking for customer donations to whatever cause the store is campaigning for).

Some other store cashiers say "need a bag?" If one has not been following store news in the papers or media, one might not know which stores will charge one for the bag and which will not. Pharmacies seem variable depending on who is on duty but they charge for bags, grocery stores too. It's lovely to be able to get bags at some stores -though cashiers may verify if you want one or not just to be sure.

BTW, if you buy People magazine at RCSS, you'll get a free PC tote bag (the 99 cent one).
    barbis9 and macw1960 like this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nwf1946 View Post
    @Frugalbigmama had a cashier recently charge her for a bag without asking her first if she wanted one.

Good to know that the bag policy has reached all across Canada. More or less.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

And because they have started charging for the bags ( which I don't mind as I use mine own) now they will not bag items.
    barbis9, Ciel and macw1960 like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

They've been doing it for a few weeks in Nova Scotia. At least the Bedford store has.

Trading Score
    200 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    BTW, if you buy People magazine at RCSS, you'll get a free PC tote bag (the 99 cent one).
    Ya, but then you have to look at "The Donald's" face while you wait at the checkout
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    And because they have started charging for the bags ( which I don't mind as I use mine own) now they will not bag items.
    WM has gone the way of Food Basics-you pay, you bag.
    Fortinos will bag usually if you let them know about the bags ahead of time (your own or purchased).
    Metro has the little spin bag carousels so staff bag if you pay for a bag. It's very hard to bag at that store when I bring my own bag.
    Sobeys-sometimes it's just easier to let a regular cashier handle the bagging rather than fight the bag supply at self checkout if I just need 1 bag to buy.
    Longos bags (their bags are free or into own totes-handy pullout shelf for that).

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

The RCSS may have found a winner service to get more customers. Order and pay on-line, they put together your order and bring it to your car. It's a new service in my town and in this cold snap, it looks to be a hit. The Walmart here had better step up it's game.
    barbis9, Ciel and walkonby like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

since they started charging for bags here in may, they always ask if i want a bag. and they will bag it if yes.

funnily, today, a cashier asked, i said no, she still bags my items, i have to tell her no again. she did it to costumer ahead too. must have short attention span or something.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Haven't they been doing this for several months chainwide?

I get charged for bags that I specifically turn down all the time. Sometimes even when I show them my reusable bags, they give me a plastic one anyway. I hate plastic bags and would never pay, but not worth the time to get receipt adjusted for five cents
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    The RCSS may have found a winner service to get more customers. Order and pay on-line, they put together your order and bring it to your car. It's a new service in my town and in this cold snap, it looks to be a hit. The Walmart here had better step up it's game.
    It started in our city this summer. Tried it twice with big problems both times, so won't do it again. Bummer, because it had such great potential and we would have used it twice a month.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    Haven't they been doing this for several months chainwide?

I get charged for bags that I specifically turn down all the time. Sometimes even when I show them my reusable bags, they give me a plastic one anyway. I hate plastic bags and would never pay, but not worth the time to get receipt adjusted for five cents
    indeed... it's been going on in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia since September.

However, I've never been charged for a bag. They ask me, I refuse, and I leave either without a bag, or using my own. Never any problems in that regard.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

It's been in effect here for long time and it's a good thing. Our environment is messed up enough without adding more plastic bag every week. It takes time to adjust but you simply get used to carrying bags in the car. I also have some fold up nylon ones I bought at Reitmans that I carry in my purse all the time.
    barbis9, Ciel, macw1960 and 3 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information