User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree61Likes

Thread: Shoppers Drug Mart FAQ and Q&A 2017

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

A huge thank you to Insane who posted the original thread but with all of the changes to Optimum since it started, time for a new thread.

What is Shoppers Drug Mart Optimum?
    It's a loyalty program by Shopper Drug Mart. Currently you earn 10pts for ever dollar, rounded DOWN to the nearest dollar (so if you spend $9.99, you get points on $9). There are many ways to optimize and earn more but the base point amount is 10pts/$.

Is Shoppers Optimum ending?
    No, they extended the program indefinitely starting on December 31st 2016. If they do choose to end or edit the program, they will give 45 days notice of the change. If the program does end, you will have 90 days after the end of the program to redeem your points.

How can I optimize my points?

Shoppers Drug Mart has regular bonus points days (usually on the weekend) plus offers members several personalized coupons each week. You will usually receive a week long offer, new "when you spend" offers for Monday, Wednesday and Friday plus item bonus points each week.

Do I earn points on everything?
    No, while Optimum covers most items it doesn't include everything. Major exclusions are gift cards (except SDM ones), transit passes, phone cards, taxes, prescriptions, items with codeine and items prohibited by law. You can always see your points on the screen after subtotals to see if you get the promo points for an offer.

What are bonus point coupons? Where do I find them?
    With personalized coupons (loadable from your app, online account or email) and the end of VIB, there are less bonus point coupons than previously. You can still find occasional ones offered by text, in the Glow Magazine or emails and other literature from Shoppers Drug Mart. They also randomly send them by mail and these ones are often high value so check before throwing out junk mail!

You can load or see your personalized coupons here or through the app.

Can I combine my personalized coupons with other offers?
    Yes and no. "When you spend" on a single transaction coupons/store offers will not combine and the system will automatically give you the one that earns you the most points. If you will use your personalized coupon later in the week, you can always unload it to get the store offer and reload it for a later transaction. You can combine all of your item bonus points coupons into one transaction with a when you spend offer to maximize your points though.

If you have say, a personalized offer for 300 points on granola bars and there is an in-store offer for 200 points, they will combine.

Which offers are best? 20x or 18,500 WUS $75?
    Shoppers Drug Mart changed up some of the promos in 2016 and we have seen ones with $100 spending requirements and more gift card with purchase offers. In general, people prefer 20x offers as they have a lower spending requirement at $50 or earn you more when you spend $100+ where 18,500 is a set bonus. Which one works for you is very much based on how much you need to spend.

Can I use coupons during a 20x points event?
    YES! Currently (and as with anything it's subject to change) you earn points on coupons. Therefore, you can maximize your points during a 20x points event by spending $50 BEFORE coupons. For example, you spend $50 but have $20 worth of coupons. Your out of pocket would be $30 (and the tax of course) but you'd still earn your 20x points. Cashiers will tell you that you won't earn them, but you will. They have no control over the computer. Plus it also states in the coupon policy that you will!
    Shoppers changed the way coupons are entered this year, so FPCs will vary depending on how they enter them. All coupons are entered as cash AFTER redemptions and other offers.

Read their full coupon guidelines here but remember that stores are independently owned so they can vary a bit regarding the number of coupons accepted.

Will I get 20x if I buy a Gift Card?

No. Like everything in life, there are exclusions. You don't get bonus points on GC unless it's a SPECIFIC GC event. You can earn base points on Shoppers Drug Mart only and not other gift cards. While some stores will allow you to buy a SDM gift card to buy other gift cards, many will not due to fraud.

Will I get 20x on bonus points too?
    No. You get 20x the points on your BASE points only. So if a product has 500 bonus points on it, you do not get 20x the 500 bonus points. Remember that base points on items are rounded down, so if you spend $9.99, you will get bonus points on $9 not $10.

REDEMPTIONS

What is a bonus redemption day?
    Several times a year Shoppers optimum runs a promotion where you get more money off for your redemption. If you redeem 50,000pts you get $100 off (instead of $85) and if you redeem 95,000pts you get $200 off (instead of $170). Some times these events are for the entire store (with exceptions) and sometimes they are for cosmetics and fragrances only.

You can do two redemptions per card per day but only one per transaction so you can't redeem twice on the same item to get expensive electronics for free.

Can you redeem for gift cards?
    No. You cannot redeem for any gift cards, phone cards or transit tickets. Redemptions also exclude taxes, prescriptions and products including codeine as well as items prohibited by law in your province.

Can I use coupons with a redemption?
    You bet! Go ahead and maximize your redemption with coupons!!

I want to redeem for $170 but only have $125 worth of stuff in my cart. What happens to the rest?
    You forfeit any difference and do not receive change or a gift card. So if you want to redeem for $170 anything under $170 is forfeited. Alternatively, you can redeem for a lower level (ie $85 off instead of $175) even if you have enough points for the higher level. So if you only want to spend $85 but have enough for the $175 redemption, you can simply redeem for the $85 level, but you have to inform the cashier.

Do I earn points when I redeem?
    No, your base points show as 0 on the amount you redeem, but if you spend $250 and redeem $170, you would earn points on the $80 you pay for. You can earn points on items that show in your app or in-store item bonuses only if they are set points. 10x points on an item will usually not work as the base is 0 on that item.

My points were not added when Shoppers said they would. Who do I call?
    1-800-SHOPPER or email them here

What is Plus, VIB and Refer a Friend mentioned in the terms?
    These are Optimum programs that previously ran but while not officially terminated in the terms, are no longer used.
    This thread is currently associated with: Pharmaprix, Shoppers Drug Mart
    uanoor, Mia001, costybex and 13 others like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Thanks looking forward to a new year of optimal savings

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
    seylz_gurl likes this.
    JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

This was an awesome idea!! Thanks for setting this up!

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nalaric View Post
    This was an awesome idea!! Thanks for setting this up!
    We always had it, I just updated the hard work @Insane had done in the original thread
    carlyincanada likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Thanks for updating this!

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Update: Had 2000bp wus $7 Cheerios, 3k wus $30 Food and Snacks, 400bp Lean Cuisine. Received 2000bp, 2157bp, and 400bp. Some how we are missing points on the Food and Snack coupon.

I know you can't combine wus offers and must do two separate transactions in order to use them.
    Question: I have 3 out of 7 personalized offers that are wus. The best value one is 2000bp wus $7 Cheerios. Can I use coupons to lower the receipt total or do I really need to spend $7 on Cheerios. Will the computer system allow me to lower price with coupons but top up with other items for the $7. If the answers are NO then the best way to use these offers is with a redemption and $7 over total.
    Last edited by sirandrewr; Sat, Jan 14th, 2017 at 01:49 AM.

Trading Score
    551 (100%)

Yes you can use coupons no need to top up to $7 either
    But I do believe this one needs to be done seperate
    Someone correct me of I'm wrong

JOIN NOW WIN BIG in the Survivor Pool starting in the Spring
    Season 40 Winners At War
    https://forum.smartcanucks.ca/435852...a/#post7022499

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Anna Michele View Post
    Yes you can use coupons no need to top up to $7 either
    But I do believe this one needs to be done seperate
    Someone correct me of I'm wrong

I think you just can't do it with x when you spend x on food and snacks. Pretty sure it works with general non category specific when you spend offers.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
    Anna Michele likes this.

HUH? YOU DON'T DO SWAGBUCKS??? ARE YOU CRAZAY?!

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

-okay I had today get 15X the points if you spend over 30.00 -is that before tax -as I had spent 31 something -bough nasal saline pkgs 24.99small eyeshadow 2.60 and 3 cholate milks at 1.29 -but the cosmetician cashier saw my 3.00 coupon in my hand and said ohhh you need to spend 3.00 more or it wont go thru (is she correct????) so I went and spend 3.00 on 2 large mars bars
    -I thought as long as it was 30.00 before tax it would be fine
    Anna Michele likes this.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    -okay I had today get 15X the points if you spend over 30.00 -is that before tax -as I had spent 31 something -bough nasal saline pkgs 24.99small eyeshadow 2.60 and 3 cholate milks at 1.29 -but the cosmetician cashier saw my 3.00 coupon in my hand and said ohhh you need to spend 3.00 more or it wont go thru (is she correct????) so I went and spend 3.00 on 2 large mars bars
    She is very wrong.

coupon girl and Anna Michele like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

She is wrong but it does say after discounts so easy to understand why they think that. I always just say, oh well if HQ doesn't approve it, that is fine
    ~ ~ ~

Trading Score
    35 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by coupon girl View Post
    Shes wrong i deal with this with nearly every cashier at sdm telling me i will not receive points if my coupons bring me below what it says i need to spend. they are always surprised when i receive my points lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Have a couple of questions re loading offers:
    1. If I have 2 coupons loaded spend $30 get 15x and spend $40 get 20x....what happens if I spend over $40 will I 15x or 20x the points?
    2. If I have a 15x the points loaded for milk and it is purchased on a 20x the points day...would I still get 20x the points for the milk?
    Thanks.
    Last edited by seylz_gurl; Sun, Feb 5th, 2017 at 10:49 AM.

Trading Score
    254 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by seylz_gurl View Post
    Have a couple of questions re loading offers:
    1. If I have 2 coupons loaded spend $30 get 15x and spend $40 get 20x....what happens if I spend over $40 will I 15x or 20x the points?
    2. If I have a 15x the points loaded for milk and it is purchased on a 20x the points day...would I still get 20x the points for the milk?
    Thanks.
    For the first one the easiest answer is why even load the 15x? If you are spending over $40 then load 20x when you spend $40. You won't get both so choose one. Secondly yes you get the offer of 20x in combination with other offers.

seylz_gurl likes this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

^Thanks Anne. I thought I'd load it as spending $30 is easy for me but not sure if I'll reach the $40 spend. I guess what I could do is just load only the $40 offer, remove the $30 offer and print it off in case I don't spend the $40.
    annedougherty likes this.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread Information