User Tag List

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree560Likes

Thread: When Times Get Tough...What Do You Do?

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Internet-glad the topic came up! If the cable goes, the Internet will be handy for the parent up with the new baby at different hours of the night (read news, check in with groups, the all-important weather forecast, SC catch-up).

About Employment Insurance and what is allowed for earned income during leave while receiving benefits-I saw an article in the Toronto Star yesterday that seems ideal for this discussion (and the suggestion by @jasperandchar that you both consider DH taking the leave while you keep working)--though, you may have to consider if you'd be expected to take on DH's child support commitments to his eldest child through court if you work and he does not (best to hash the different scenarios before you have to give work the minimum notice regarding an EI leave for yourself or just book time off for birth)--am having difficulty in finding it online.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Jot down words and ideas on paper and let them sit. Draw a chart or pictures if that helps. You'll work through the list.

You've got-the court stuff, needed basement room, one car for work & everything else, budgeting for baby needs, income reduction, free things to do for fun.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

#7 from the EI Maternity and Parental benefits was the emphasized bit about working and what was allowed while retaining some of the EI benefits.

Random question-have you and DH considered selling your current place and moving into an apartment or smaller residence that is in town if that helps you with access to shops/services/friends or family?

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by wimbly11 View Post
    The ex has no income. Therefore because he works he has been told that he is on the hook for the majority
    Is he paying alimony and child support? He shouldn't have to pay through the nose if the mom is not working, that doesn't seem feasible but I'm not a lawyer. Is she on welfare or some sort of social assistance. She must be getting a nice UCCB each month if she has no income. Still sucks
    2019 is the year that we continue to save before we buy!!!

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    Is he paying alimony and child support? He shouldn't have to pay through the nose if the mom is not working, that doesn't seem feasible but I'm not a lawyer. Is she on welfare or some sort of social assistance. She must be getting a nice UCCB each month if she has no income. Still sucks
    He doesn't pay alimony. Just child support. I believe she's in EI. I don't know for sure. According to the papers she served to us she only earned $4000 last year from all sources of income. She also doesn't pay mortgage or heat....she has no bills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Newfiescreech, barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun
    https://www.superpoints.com/join/E_V...HakUR2RSb3SXJk

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://www.pressreader.com/canada/to...81784218843809
    Best link I can locate as I looked at the Monday Feb. 13 paper in a library branch today and could not locate writer or headline on thestar.com.
    If you have access to the Monday paper, the article is Baby Budgets a Balancing Act on the first page of the Smart Money section. The Working While On Claim pilot Offers Chance to Earn More article in on the sixth page-there is some EI income clawback involved in the pilot against earned income while on claim.
    barbis9 and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Great article thank you.

I am trying to make a list of how we are going to save. What needs to change, etc.

I want to make better use of coupons and apps to try and bring down our grocery budget.

I'm trying to think of something I can make and sell. Problem is I don't have a lot of free time as I am completing an online college course. There must be something though! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    http://www.pressreader.com/canada/to...81784218843809
    Best link I can locate as I looked at the Monday Feb. 13 paper in a library branch today and could not locate writer or headline on thestar.com.
    If you have access to the Monday paper, the article is Baby Budgets a Balancing Act on the first page of the Smart Money section. The Working While On Claim pilot Offers Chance to Earn More article in on the sixth page-there is some EI income clawback involved in the pilot against earned income while on claim.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

I stumbled on this webpage about 2 weeks ago and I can't get enough (lol)

Check it out, it's very inspiring and lots of great tips and life stories
    http://canadianbudgetbinder.com/category/frugal-living/

+++++++++++++++++++

Also I was thinking I know you make the payments to the orthodontist, if you are good at paying your credit card as you use it, it might be worthwhile putting the monthly orthodontist expense on your cc and getting points or something of that nature that will benefit your family since you have to pay the bill anyways.....just a thought.
    Angela273, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

http://www.canadianliving.com/life-a...-taxes-in-2017

The child's mother will have 6 months of the taxable old UCC to claim for 2016 income on her 2016 return. And since the article mentions the halving of tax credits for children's activities in 2016, that could be one factor as well as the general hike in cost of living/eating contributing to the increased support request.

Found this link explaining basic child support and special/extraordinary expenses in Ontario:
    http://www.cleo.on.ca/en/publication...nts-calculated

The orthodontics expense is listed under the second category.
    barbis9 likes this.

Trading Score
    288 (100%)

The child's mother will have 6 months of the taxable old UCC to claim for 2016 income on her 2016 return. And since the article mentions the halving of tax credits for children's activities in 2016, that could be one factor as well as the general hike in cost of living/eating contributing to the increased support request.

Found this link explaining basic child support and special/extraordinary expenses in Ontario:

very interesting @Ciel thanks for sharing
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I saw this cupcake fundraiser idea for the BC and Ontario SPCAs in February. I'm thinking if there is a community sale (church, rec centre, auxiliary group) where you can sell cupcakes as a vendor (rent a table), maybe this could be the thing you can do for a few hours? Obviously you cannot sell them in schools because their baking sales rely on parents donating baked goods to support school needs.
    Or if you are friends with someone who is selling Tupperware or kitchen wares, maybe you can split a table rental in the spring and sell cupcakes while one or two of her baking containers display your baking? The thing about community sales-check to see if group holding the sale does not already have a concession stand or bake section planned for the event as that is competition and you want to get the sales. Some organizations/committees run a food booth to make money for things needed to run programs, fairs or replace equipment--so keep this detail in mind. Walmart sometimes put the cupcake carriers on sale and same with Michaels.
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Feb 19th, 2017 at 07:36 PM.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Congrats on the future addition to your family. Focus on what you can change...
    1) Examples we've done are
    We put the house and camper and vehicles all on one insurance through bfs union insurance which got us a better rate as well as a bundled rate.
    2) Made calls to shaw direct and cut the satellite package. (You can even put it on a 6 month vacation)
    3) I've at times taken on 2nd parrtime jobs at a hotel front desk or doing computer repairs. On top of my full time job.
    4) I've used the snowball method to get rid of debts that are costing more in interest than others....lowered my payment amount after getting things off our plate.
    5) cooking and baking from scratch and avoiding the premade foid aisles
    6) grow a veggie garden. We have also trades our veggies for meat or other veggies with neighbours
    7) invested in a full pig being butchered.
    8) selling items we dont use or fit.
    9) I'm an absolute freak about tracking spending and making sure we have funds in savings
    10) last year when bf was hurt n off work for 3 months we used only one vehicle and he cut back on his smoking n i cut back on chips. We also cut back on food ordering in which had gotten bad over the summer with his broken clavicle and my broken shoulder.
    11) buy clothing kids grow out of fast at the thrift store. Or for yourself if you need a change.
    12)I hem pants. I mend seams and tears. I replace buttons.
    13) homemade gifts
    14) the library here and the rec board here offer a ton of free or very inexpensive classes and groups for kids teans adults
    and seniors. They also love getting volunteers.

You might hate this suggestion but if hes laid off then you might consider hin claiming pat leave for part of the allowed timeand you going back to work early.

Or look into whats require to be a day home if that appeals.

Im sure i repeated what others have said!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    barbis9, Ciel and jasperandchar like this.

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

I never thought about that. It may be a good idea. We're paying it anyways!

Quote Originally Posted by jasperandchar View Post
    I stumbled on this webpage about 2 weeks ago and I can't get enough (lol)

Check it out, it's very inspiring and lots of great tips and life stories
    http://canadianbudgetbinder.com/category/frugal-living/

+++++++++++++++++++

Also I was thinking I know you make the payments to the orthodontist, if you are good at paying your credit card as you use it, it might be worthwhile putting the monthly orthodontist expense on your cc and getting points or something of that nature that will benefit your family since you have to pay the bill anyways.....just a thought.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Thank you Ciel. I will read these over.

barbis9 and Ciel like this.
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Trading Score
    15 (100%)

Great tips, thanks!

I didn't know you could put Shaw on vacation for 6 months! THis is really interesting. Good information, thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by saundyl View Post
    Congrats on the future addition to your family. Focus on what you can change...
    1) Examples we've done are
    We put the house and camper and vehicles all on one insurance through bfs union insurance which got us a better rate as well as a bundled rate.
    2) Made calls to shaw direct and cut the satellite package. (You can even put it on a 6 month vacation)
    3) I've at times taken on 2nd parrtime jobs at a hotel front desk or doing computer repairs. On top of my full time job.
    4) I've used the snowball method to get rid of debts that are costing more in interest than others....lowered my payment amount after getting things off our plate.
    5) cooking and baking from scratch and avoiding the premade foid aisles
    6) grow a veggie garden. We have also trades our veggies for meat or other veggies with neighbours
    7) invested in a full pig being butchered.
    8) selling items we dont use or fit.
    9) I'm an absolute freak about tracking spending and making sure we have funds in savings
    10) last year when bf was hurt n off work for 3 months we used only one vehicle and he cut back on his smoking n i cut back on chips. We also cut back on food ordering in which had gotten bad over the summer with his broken clavicle and my broken shoulder.
    11) buy clothing kids grow out of fast at the thrift store. Or for yourself if you need a change.
    12)I hem pants. I mend seams and tears. I replace buttons.
    13) homemade gifts
    14) the library here and the rec board here offer a ton of free or very inexpensive classes and groups for kids teans adults
    and seniors. They also love getting volunteers.

You might hate this suggestion but if hes laid off then you might consider hin claiming pat leave for part of the allowed timeand you going back to work early.

Or look into whats require to be a day home if that appeals.

Im sure i repeated what others have said!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    SUPERPOINTS IS BACK!!!!
    Come join the fun

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information