User Tag List

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree193Likes

Thread: Coping with holidays/social events while bereaved or grieving

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Hugs to you and yours, @Darth Penguin . There will be times when Mr. P will be present in your other holidays as everyone figures out their comfort level in remembering him. I'm sure you have your times when you think of him or speak to him as if he is still nearby in the house.
    I personally want to have a digital photo frame to occasionally run old photos from a USB for an hour or two to recall those who have passed away. Perhaps I should put it on my July things to get list so it will become reality this summer.

I also noticed that Shoppers Drug Mart has a photobook promotion until January 26. I think that format would be a great way to show photos too-not familiar with any captioning options so that anyone flipping through the book would know the date/people or occasion and it would save hands the bother of flipping through photos. May suggest the idea to Mom when we get around to reviewing the scanned photos of hers and she wants to send some images to her sister of their late family members.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

How to decide if a young child can attend a funeral for a known adult:
    https://www.thespec.com/living-story...ne-s-funeral-/
    Newfiescreech and Skippy like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    How to decide if a young child can attend a funeral for a known adult:
    https://www.thespec.com/living-story...ne-s-funeral-/
    Good read,thanks for sharing.
    Newfiescreech and Ciel like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by cath007 View Post
    I tought I will share this here not on my Facebook .I dont want my familly and friends to read it and be sad for me.I used to love Christmas and was a positive person.I am a positive person on SC but in the Hollidays time it is difficult for me.I loved Christmas when I was a child.I loved the Christmas tree,the familly ,the food ,the gifts,.....But since 10 years I lost my mother by an pulmonary embollys*embolie pulmonaire* at 57 years old .I was 22 years old at the moment.3 and a half years ago I lost my brother at 30 years old ....He commited suicide.I still have my father but every Christmas is not the same without my mother and brother.Since 10 years .at Christmas I am in tears,and vomitting...and I hated Christmas since this took away the 2 loved ones from me.I am so tired of this.....so tired....I miss my mother and her talks so much,I start to forget here and that scare me and miss my brother too...I had those nasty pictures of theirs dead often in my head.
    I hear you Cath007 ..i feel same way..dont care if Christmas comes and more sine my Dad passed away 4 years ago then my brother 2years now in march only 51 ..but i have push on for my family during Christmas time ..im not sure anyone gets over losing member in their family..only we have keep going on ..except bad days and goods days too
    Skippy, Ciel and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Newfiescreech View Post
    I hear you Cath007 ..i feel same way..dont care if Christmas comes and more sine my Dad passed away 4 years ago then my brother 2years now in march only 51 ..but i have push on for my family during Christmas time ..im not sure anyone gets over losing member in their family..only we have keep going on ..except bad days and goods days too
    I'm sorry for your losses and the upcoming anniversary of your brother's death.I pray that you may know much grace and peace.

Please pray this week for a niece who is suicidal and the upcoming anniversary of her Mother's death.
    Ciel and cath007 like this.
    Always remember the What are you thankful for today? thread as there always is something to be thankful for.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Music therapy for loss or anxiety:

Typically, therapists treat anxiety disorders by urging clients to face their fears. But Radomsky tried a new approach, zeroing in on participants’ beliefs about memory. When study participants saw that they were actually very good at remembering things, they stopped checking so much.For Radomsky, the study revealed how our beliefs about ourselves can create a self-reinforcing cycle that can feed either positive or negative patterns.
    “The more you check something, the less sure you become, which is kind of counterintuitive. But in fact, the more you check, although your memory accuracy is unaffected, your confidence in memory falls,” Radomsky said. “By checking, you actually make your memory foggier, so you trust it less.”
    This study is already changing how the two clinics operated by Concordia’s psychology department treat patients with anxiety disorders. By incorporating therapies designed to increase a person’s confidence in the ability to remember things and stay in control, therapists are able to help people who failed to benefit from previous therapy.
    http://montrealgazette.com/sponsored...oss-or-anxiety
    Skippy and cath007 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Chance find on the Halton area newspaper event listings: a bereavement walking group in Oakville, ON.
    https://www.insidehalton.com/events/...walking-group/

In Halton Hills, there's an Open Grief group meeting at a church. Next event is on March 26.
    https://www.insidehalton.com/events/...-all-welcome-/

With Easter approaching, check for local listings at your area's funeral homes for spring memorial programs or events to help the bereaved with their grieving.
    Skippy likes this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

For some reason, this item appears in this week's Ancaster News but it was published in the Stoney Creek News and Mountain News last month:

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/whatson...eavement-camp/
    Skippy likes this.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    For some reason, this item appears in this week's Ancaster News but it was published in the Stoney Creek News and Mountain News last month:

https://www.hamiltonnews.com/whatson...eavement-camp/
    Sounds like a great idea(camp weekend for the young who have experienced loss)thanks for sharing!
    Heads up that applications for this opportunity end in less than 2 weeks.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Skippy, Ciel and cath007 like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks for the link on grief anniversaries, @Darth Penguin . Yes, the calendar becomes a different kind of calendar when someone close to you passes away.

Late find, as seminar is on TONIGHT, but Dr. Bob Kemp hospice is having one at the Spec auditorium (Hamilton, just off Hwy 403 in west end of downtown) on "Let's Talk about the End Journey." Have to register online as it will be an interactive workshop. https://www.hamiltonnews.com/whatson...st-at-the-end/
    Skippy, cath007 and Darth Penguin like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Grimsby Museum (ON) has this exhibit open by donation on May 18:
    https://twitter.com/GrimsbyMuseum/st...48233470922752
    *side note-some Niagara Region hospices held fundraising walks over the weekend for their operations. Hospices are not fully funded, just like hospitals, but hospices provide a homelike environment for end-of-life terminal patients.

May is Museum Month in Ontario and various museums will offer a free day during this month.
    Skippy and cath007 like this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

How to cope with the grief after losing your mother

Mother’s Day isn’t always a happy cause for celebration.

For those who have lost their mothers or mother figures, it can be a somber event. While it may get easier with time, grief isn’t linear. Some days are going to be harder than others, some years better than not.

If you’re struggling with grief this Mother’s Day, know that you’re not alone in your experience. But the day doesn’t have to be a total loss (unless, of course, that’s what you need in order to heal). There are ways to take part in the holiday and still take care of yourself if you’ve lost your mom or a maternal loved one. We asked our Facebook communities to share their experience

Skippy, Ciel, walkonby and 1 others like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    68 (100%)

My dad passed away suddenly 4 weeks ago today. So now we begin the 1st time without him for all events. Both my brother and I will travel to my parents (still can't call it moms) place for Mother's Day to be with her. I will do brunch with my men in the morning. I really can't believe he is gone.
    Skippy, Ciel, cath007 and 1 others like this.
    Friends don't let real friends pay full price.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by lilo0003 View Post
    My dad passed away suddenly 4 weeks ago today. So now we begin the 1st time without him for all events. Both my brother and I will travel to my parents (still can't call it moms) place for Mother's Day to be with her. I will do brunch with my men in the morning. I really can't believe he is gone.
    I am so sorry for your loss.Prayer offered on your behalf.
    Ciel, lilo0003 and cath007 like this.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information