User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree79Likes

Thread: Stolen PC Optimum points March 7,2018

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by nicolthepickle View Post
    Also please teach me your point accumulation ways oh wise one.
    It can or at least used to be pretty easy for some people to accumulate large amounts of points, thanks in part to the tips and deals that are posted in this forum. We're only a two-person family, but last year, between PC+ and OPT, we averaged over $100 worth of points per month while spending well under $100 total for the entire year on electronics and cosmetics combined, two categories that can award large amounts.

They mostly piled up for two main reasons. One was that I didn't want to make small redemptions at SDM since that would have meant getting less value for my points, plus only having one 95k redemption opportunity come up that I considered worth doing.

The other was that my grocery shops tend to be small and frequent. I can and do go weeks or even months at a time without spending the $20 minimum that applied under PC+, and I wasn't going to buy anything extra just so I could redeem. Also, because I wasn't used to redeeming, I forgot to do so a couple of times when I could have.

Putting these two things together with a few lesser factors, I didn't have nearly enough opportunities to use up the points I collected, especially at SDM where I got and still get more. Luckily for me, the new $10 minimum makes it A LOT easier for me to redeem.

That's just me of course. Other people have different reasons for having hundreds or even thousands of dollars worth of points.
    barbis9, Ciel, coupon girl and 2 others like this.

Trading Score
    169 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised in addition to external hacks - there might be some internal fraud going on too.

Some inside software guy/gal or developer might easily know something about how to hack into the system. Could be a small coding error or security vulnerability. They might be using that themselves or leaking/selling that info to criminals outside.

Lot of SDM employees and even LCBO employees have been fired in the past for illegally using their own SDM cards or Air Miles cards to collect points in place of customers. Or misusing the cards & receipts of customers to collect points for their own.

Same thing with Roll Up The Rim - Tim Hortons employees.

When it comes to points, prizes, contest, loyalty program frauds - Employees are more relaxed and think they can easily get away with it - after all its not a credit card, debit card or cold hard cash fraud. That's their mentality, mindset & thinking when it comes to these kind of frauds.

They think its a lesser crime and maybe lesser chances of being caught or lesser punishment. Maybe NO criminal charges, the worst thing that will happen is that they will get fired..according to them .
    Employees were taking points at Chapters too!
    barbis9, Ciel and walkonby like this.

Who knows ... but I Would Rather Be Someone's Shot of Whiskey, Than Everyone's Cup of Tea
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

More hits the fan ...

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...vacy-1.4577802

PC Optimum tells customer her privacy may have been violated in switch to new program
    Customer's account may have been combined with that of another cardholder

Sent from my iPhone
    Silk, barbis9, Ciel and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Denna b View Post
    I found two other people who have had points stolen within the last two weeks. I am sure there are more. I agree a pin or password should be implemented or like Airmiles you can lock down the redeem function and they have a pin.
    Will keep everyone posted.
    Before the PC Optimum launch, PC Plus had an option to lock the card/tag settings to Earn Only or Earn and Redeem. Problem is the settings from PC Plus were kept the same on the PC Optimum cards but the new program has not yet put the settings on accounts to allow us to change the settings.
    So what likely happened is that OP's card was set on Earn and Redeem before the switch to new program, thus the points got nabbed by hackers.
    barbis9 likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    Before the PC Optimum launch, PC Plus had an option to lock the card/tag settings to Earn Only or Earn and Redeem. Problem is the settings from PC Plus were kept the same on the PC Optimum cards but the new program has not yet put the settings on accounts to allow us to change the settings.
    So what likely happened is that OP's card was set on Earn and Redeem before the switch to new program, thus the points got nabbed by hackers.
    Maybe 2 weeks ago, they said on Facebook that there was no plan for devices to have a collect-only setting. I haven't read everything PCO has said since so it's possible this has changed, or the person who said so might have misspoken. He or she did say the idea would be forwarded, but considering it was in PC+ but isn't in PCO, it's hard to think there's much chance of it happening, especially any time soon.
    barbis9 and Ciel like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    277 (100%)

anna michelle -I had the same email -I had to change my password ,so I called to inquire about this and the customer service person told me many people we putting in inquires about large amounts of points ,have no idea how I got this email

-my daughter on the other hand -they froze her's saying she had to go into a shoppers and get a new card as she has a few more on her card than she should have (may be someone else's points they said)at least she has the total points before the switch over on her phone she told me from the last reciept-such an inconvience for her as she has so much other stuff going on in her life -she shopped shoppers all the time for diapers,baby stuff etc
    barbis9, Ciel and Anna Michele like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Hmmm..seems to be lot of glitches..

Quote Originally Posted by GoodBoy View Post
    More hits the fan ...

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/n...vacy-1.4577802

PC Optimum tells customer her privacy may have been violated in switch to new program
    Customer's account may have been combined with that of another cardholder

Sent from my iPhone

Know what matters...
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

That sucks. So sorry that happened to you. Thanks for letting us know and hope SDM restores your points asap.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Thanks for posting. I continue to redeem once I am over 10,000 points as I worry that points will be stolen if I hold onto them.
    Ciel likes this.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Hope your points are returned with a minimum of hassle. Now I am regularly taking a screen shot of my points total (not that I have that many), just in case.
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by barbis9 View Post
    Thanks for posting. I continue to redeem once I am over 10,000 points as I worry that points will be stolen if I hold onto them.
    Fwiw, there are some people who say they plan to keep quite a few points in their accounts in order to be able to take advantage of possible bonus redemption events. Afaik, there has been no official word as to whether such events will happen but also nothing saying they won't.
    Ciel likes this.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

I got the email too. One problem there were points stolen. I have been contacted by CBC and will be talking to them this evening. I also changed my name and any other personal info on my account just to be safe. I don't want my real name or address in the hands of thieves.
    Thanks everyone for the well wishes. What a PIA this is.
    Silk, Ciel and 4sure5 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Loblaw stumbles on Optimum-PC Points merger, bread rebate woes

Problems with the merger of its loyalty cards and the $25 bread rebate lands Loblaw Companies on Ellen Roseman’s most wanted list in 2018.

https://www.thestar.com/business/per...bate-woes.html

Ciel and 4sure5 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Thanks for the latest article, @tjthemanto . I voted Unsure in the survey.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Frosh Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

big story on cbc website today. tear up those receipts and use strong passwords for your app!
    its a start.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information