• 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 1 Post By torontogal12
  • 1 Post By greentires4me
  • 1 Post By Batwoman

Thread: Amazon gift card discounts?

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I buy things from Amazon very rarely, and I know nothing about saving money on that site. Where can you get good deals on Amazon gift cards?

Can you get them with 5 or 10% off anywhere?

Or can you get bonus points or Air Miles on them?

Any info is helpful, even if that offer only comes a few times a year

Thanks!
    This thread is currently associated with: Amazon.ca & Amazon.com
    Ciel likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

No one is able to help with this? I see people bragging about their Amazon purchases all the time
    Ciel likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

I don't buy Amazon GCs very often at all, so not often enough to make it worth stocking up when there's a sale. But if I do need one, I'd look to buy it at a major grocery store or gas station using my cashback credit card since those are the merchant categories where I get the highest cashback %.

I think SDM has had a GC promo in Nov. for the past few years, but there's no way to be sure it will happen again under PCO. And while I'm not sure, I think it gave bonus Optimum points last time, not a discount.
    Ciel and torontogal12 like this.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

There was a flyer that I believe @cyn88canada posted in the last 4 weeks-think it was Freshco-and she pointed out the deal on an Amazon gift card. Or it was Sobeys or Rexall but I recall a green flyer.

Trying to find the expired flyer to show you the deal.
    cyn88canada likes this.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Contradiction in progress sweet sparrow's Avatar
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

It might be that people are using their Swagbucks accounts to get search points to trade in for Amazon money. That is what I do.

If I were to buy a GC, I would get it with a cashback credit card, go through one of the websites that offer you money to shop through them (Swagbucks does also), and use it during a sale.

I think they had an offer not long ago where if you topped your online account up to $100, you would get a credit of $10 or something like that. I don't know if it's still valid.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    No one is able to help with this? I see people bragging about their Amazon purchases all the time
    Are you using swagbucks.com? That's the only place I get my amazon.ca gift cards from. If you save up, you can redeem at a discounted rate, (10 - 22% off face value). The payout has declined in the last couple of months, so if you're not already using swagbucks, it will probably seem slow...but, it's still worthwhile IMO. Irazoo.com and other sites are similar. (Just using the SB apps on a smart phone, and playing games daily, you can earn $10/month easily...add in other activities, and you can make more, but the time commitment is higher, too).

Other than that, I can't think of a recent gift card deal...sorry! Ironically, I don't always pay much attention to the flyers I post.

If you're only buying from amazon rarely, I think you may be better off just using the credit card. Once you redeem a gift card into your amazon account, the full value is stuck there. So, if you buy a $25 gift card, and only spend $13, you still have $12 stuck in your account until you use it. Not a problem if you keep your account open -- but, if you're an infrequent spender, you might prefer not to have your funds tied up there.

I used to redeem for amazon.ca gift cards with swagbucks all the time, so buying anything on amazon was a "deal". I've switched to mostly redeeming for Paypal, and just buying gift cards on ebates because I prefer to buy groceries in store. Overall, I get better value...except on toilet paper. LOLOLOLOL! JK. Cheers!
    Want to buy me a coffee? You can! But, you don't have to! In fact, I encourage you not to. ('Cuz postage is ridiculous). But, if you insist on it...well, you can drop a buck, or two, here: paypal.me/cyn88canada I emphasize, you do NOT have to -- a coffee icon tossed my way is gold. + =
    Illegitimi non carborundum!!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

We ended up expensing an Amazon prime membership. I don't like it. They have a poor food and grocery selection and you need a minimum of $25 to have "add on" items shipped. Even cleaning chemicals are included. I have spent an hour trying to find enough to meet the minimum, and I refuse to buy things I don't need, just to meet shipping minimums (isn't that the whole point of Prime? No minimums?).

Anyway, I would spend way less than an hour at the grocery store and would have way more selection. Hate this
    dededi likes this.

Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    We ended up expensing an Amazon prime membership. I don't like it. They have a poor food and grocery selection and you need a minimum of $25 to have "add on" items shipped. Even cleaning chemicals are included. I have spent an hour trying to find enough to meet the minimum, and I refuse to buy things I don't need, just to meet shipping minimums (isn't that the whole point of Prime? No minimums?).

Anyway, I would spend way less than an hour at the grocery store and would have way more selection. Hate this
    I'm not saying this to promote Amazon, but I suspect your comparison isn't completely fair because you probably know your way around your grocery store much better.

Did you sign up to Prime for a full year or monthly? If the former, I don't know if you can change then cancel, but it seems worth asking them. If the latter, I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if you can't cancel any time.

And you don't say whether you tried the free trial. In my case, it let me confirm at no cost what I already thought, that Prime wasn't good value for me.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

We paid for the yearly subscription because we expensed it. I know my way around websites -- they just don't have selection. It has been less than a month and I think we just may cancel and reimburse the expense
    Quote Originally Posted by Arjon View Post
    I'm not saying this to promote Amazon, but I suspect your comparison isn't completely fair because you probably know your way around your grocery store much better.

Did you sign up to Prime for a full year or monthly? If the former, I don't know if you can change then cancel, but it seems worth asking them. If the latter, I don't know for sure, but I would be surprised if you can't cancel any time.

And you don't say whether you tried the free trial. In my case, it let me confirm at no cost what I already thought, that Prime wasn't good value for me.
    Last edited by torontogal12; Wed, Oct 10th, 2018 at 09:11 AM.
    dededi likes this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

For anyone else that is interested in this prorgram - we ended up keeping it due to the video. They've got a Jack Ryan show and the Top Gear knockoff

Trading Score
    3 (80%)

I have not found a deal on amazon.ca gift cards but I do buy them to make all my purchases on there. I used to have prime then it went up in price...now I don’t have a credit card for purposes I won’t mention here. It depends what you are buying of course off the site. I have found tonnes of items that I love and that my friends all love. I have ordered for other people as well.

But in the past I did use swagbucks for a lot of gift cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    torontogal12 likes this.
    Live, Love, Laugh

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I redeemed $10 amazon gift card from leaving cannabis reviews on lift.co/go with the points I got
    momof3heathens likes this.

Thread Information