User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree64Likes

Thread: Baby It's Cold Outside -- banned from airplay

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Welcome to 2018 and a world of elevated and exaggerated sensitivity...

Good luck hoping to hear "Baby It's Cold Outside" on the radio this holiday season as it's been banned from radio play at various stations in the US and Canada, including all Rogers owned stations and the entirety of the CBC.

A song written in the era and backdrop of the 1940s has been "re-interpreted" by some over-sensitive listeners today as promoting rape. Yea, you read that right.

Sure, if that song was written today in the midst of the #MeToo movement, and a post Cosby/Ghomeshi/Weinstein world... perhaps it could and maybe should be seen as potentially having that intent, even if it was double-entender'd.

When in actuality, it's a song about a woman who is visiting her lover and knows the 'respectable' thing (again, think 1940's) is to go home, to keep up appearances... but yet she really wants to stay. The lyrics find the couple singing to make as many excuses as they can for her to not leave.

The 'offended' claim adds that she's saying "no" and the man is insisting on a "yes" -- even though there's no direct connotation to sex or sexual misconduct. To say that perhaps sex is implied is not a far stretch, but saying that (and that it's the man's insistence) only feeds the claim for those listeners who want to be offended.

...and there's the "what's in this drink?" line. -- again had this song been written in this post-Cosby/Weinstein world, that could easily be seen as if the girl's drink was "drugged" ... but this song was written in 1944 and the notion of roofies didnt even exist. (Rohypnol didnt come around until the mid 70s -- and in 1944, Cosby was 7 years old and Weinstein wasnt even born yet.) -- More likely it's a point to say that she's been enjoying her drink and hasnt made any serious move to actually leave.

Anyway... I'm sure that next year someone will be offended by "make the Yuletide gay" and we wont be able to listen to "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" anymore.

This thread is currently associated with: Rogers (Plus)
    Last edited by bhlombardy; Wed, Dec 5th, 2018 at 07:00 AM.

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

It's really sad that we're losing all things innocent and lovely because some PC idiot re-interpreted a cute song into something that it never was. That song is my favorite part of the movie Elf.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    57 (100%)

Rudolph is also all about bullying.

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

I also think it's so sad this has been done - and all the sheeple follow suit, that even bugs me more.

If there are songs to be banned, there are many many more in the Christmas canon which are more deserving! Ah, this will only be the beginning.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

Looking back in search of any hint of improper behaviour pressuring a woman to say yes to sex ( GASP! ) , is now fair game in the new PC , #MeToo era. I enjoyed the playfulness of this song and dare I say the innocence of it, because I do think it is guilty of nothing.

babies teach us acceptance

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I also think it's so sad this has been done - and all the sheeple follow suit, that even bugs me more.

If there are songs to be banned, there are many many more in the Christmas canon which are more deserving! Ah, this will only be the beginning.
    It's hardly a Christmas song. It doesn't mention Christmas . In fact it has the same amount of Christmas as "Favourite Things" from The Sound of Music or "Cold as Ice" by Foreigner.

The fact a song mentions cold, storms, snowflakes or ice doth not a Christmas song make. It's just played more frequently at this time of year.

Honestly the radio stations should just have quietly dropped it from their rotations and nobody would have known or cared.

If (general) you don't like a song on the radio, switch it off or turn over or mentally sing something else till it's over, that's what I do.
    Newfiescreech and dededi like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

What is this world becoming today 2018 ..every thing people hears nowadays its all about sex ,drugs ,rock and roll ,rape and bullying etc...goodness gracious cant play song on radio now ..and enjoy it ...cause it could be sexual abuse etc...to many sick minded people out there ..honestly it so sad ..to see where this world is heading to ..i dont want be around next 25 0r 40 years time ..if this world keeps going on ..you wont be able to look at anyone any more ..you’ll be afraid to look or even open your mouth ..cause you could be facing court charges ..thats how silly people is becoming today..time for more people stop sitting on their butts.. going through words and lyrics in songs..you want do something good in this world ...get off your butt and help some seniors out or volunteering your time ..i dont have time pick songs to pieces ..see if i can get that song banned from radio station..get life i say and help make this world better place and not worst .*** My Opinion *** have great day all ..when I finish at work today at 5 or 6 pm .. I'm heading out to fire hall ...get last few things done for our Seniors Christmas Party this friday .
    Natalka, walkonby, dededi and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

It’s absolutely sad! I Saw Momma Kissing Santa Claus should go too. Why is momma tickling or kissing or whatever I didn’t see to Santa Claus?...my daddy doesn’t need that stress, especially over the holidays. So silly.....

Trading Score
    1 (100%)

out of all the songs out there...THIS is what they choose to ban??

RYFKM?

ever listen to a cardiB song? what a world...

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Listening while feminist:in defense of "Baby, it's cold outside"

So let’s talk about that drink. I’ve discussed solely looking at the lyrics of the song and its internal universe so far, but I think that the line “Say, what’s in this drink” needs to be explained in a broader context to refute the idea that he spiked her drink. “Say, what’s in this drink” is a well-used phrase that was common in movies of the time period and isn’t really used in the same manner any longer. The phrase generally referred to someone saying or doing something they thought they wouldn’t in normal circumstances; it’s a nod to the idea that alcohol is “making” them do something unusual. But the joke is almost always that there is nothing in the drink. The drink is the excuse. The drink is the shield someone gets to hold up in front of them to protect from criticism. And it’s not just used in these sort of romantic situations. I’ve heard it in many investigation type scenes where the stoolpigeon character is giving up bits of information they’re supposed to be protecting, in screwball comedies where someone is making a fool of themselves, and, yes, in romantic movies where someone is experiencing feelings they are not supposed to have.

bold mine.

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Davelikes2save View Post
    It’s absolutely sad! I Saw Momma Kissing Santa Claus should go too. Why is momma tickling or kissing or whatever I didn’t see to Santa Claus?...my daddy doesn’t need that stress, especially over the holidays. So silly.....
    errr..I don't understand your logic since it seems that both Santa and Mommy are consenting to the kiss. And the under-laying message to the adults at least is that Daddy is Santa.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Trading Score
    2 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Penguin View Post
    errr..I don't understand your logic since it seems that both Santa and Mommy are consenting to the kiss. And the under-laying message to the adults at least is that Daddy is Santa.
    What’s your logic? Let me get this straight, I can cheat on my wife with any woman I want as long as the woman and I consent?
    As a child gets older the magic of Santa and Christmas changes. However, the song is through the eyes of a child, not an adult.

Merry Christmas! Or would you prefer Happy Holidays.
    Newfiescreech likes this.

Trading Score
    20 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Davelikes2save View Post
    What’s your logic? Let me get this straight, I can cheat on my wife with any woman I want as long as the woman and I consent?
    Whoosh!

If you want to cheat, then cheat with a contesting partner. Male or female your choice. if you don't want to cheat then don't. It's a very easy thing to do.

As a child gets older the magic of Santa and Christmas changes. However, the song is through the eyes of a child, not an adult.
    But the child isn't looking for a scandal...he's bemused and possibly confused . He thinks daddy would have found it funny and no-one believes him because they know differently. (my interpretation)
    Merry Christmas! Or would you prefer Happy Holidays.
    Gelukkige Krampusnacht.

I prefer "Happy Octave of Christian Holydays including but not limited to the Mass of Christ's Birth, Holy Innocents Day, Holy Family Day and Solemnity of Mary, Mother of God".

Or Joyeux Noel.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

If a song on the radio has a line that says "what's in this drink?" there are no Coles notes played on air explaining the background of this song and how meanings may have changed in the last 74 years since this song was written. They aren't going to play the song and then explain anything about the original movie (I didn't know there was a movie)

And not a lot of people know about a hidden old Hollywood film meaning about the term "what's in this drink." It doesn't have anything to do with changing the subject or being a joke anymore. Things become inappropriate with age all the time. Look at blackface and sports teams like the Cleveland baseball team

Easy fix would be to change the offending words in future version
    Last edited by torontogal12; Thu, Dec 6th, 2018 at 03:12 PM.
    Ciel likes this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    If a song on the radio has a line that says "what's in this drink?" there are no Coles notes played on air explaining the background of this song and how meanings may have changed in the last 74 years since this song was written. They aren't going to play the song and then explain anything about the original movie (I didn't know there was a movie)
    And not a lot of people know about a hidden old Hollywood film meaning about the term "what's in this drink." It doesn't have anything to do with changing the subject or being a joke anymore. Things become inappropriate with age all the time. Look at blackface and sports teams like the Cleveland baseball team
    Easy fix would be to change the offending words in future version

Correct, there are no Coles notes... but the information IS out there, and people should do some diligence. If someone says something that I find offensive, I dont immediately hate them and try to undo the rest of their efforts. Instead I try to understand what it was they were trying to say. It's not the words or phrases people should be worried about, it's the intent behind them.

If someone is offended by something that they dont understand, then they're being offended for the wrong reason. I'm not belittling their sensitivity, but they DO need to understand that the intent was not to offend... nor did it mean what they think it means. That said, if someone mis-intereprets what was intended, they might NEED an explanation. No, it's NOT warranted for radio announcers to make that explanation for them should they play the song, but the offended listener might need to pause for a moment and ask some questions. "Why would they play such an offensive song on the radio?" -- investigate a bit, to learn that "oh, it's not actually offensive, now that I understand..."

So going back to my last line in my original post... should we ban the song "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" (or alter its lyrics) so that "make your Yuletide gay" doesnt offend anyone of any specific sexual orientation, simply because they dont know the meaning of the word 'gay' as it was intended when that song was written? If so, then where does it stop? Do we need to change everything? Maybe "White Christmas" should be banned because it doesnt mention any other ethnicity besides "white". Even though "white" has no ethnic connotation in the song, I could definitely see someone thinking that it was, if they didnt know. See where this become a problem?

My point of this post and thread is that there is an increasing and severe knee-jerk reaction today to respond drastically to anyone to says "that offends me" that they (the industries or faculties) dont consider that it's only offending a VERY SMALL amount of the population. If it offends less than 1% of the population, they have to ban it, or change it, or alter it somehow to appease those few people who are a bit extra-sensitive. But be damned to what the rest of society thinks or feels about it.

And a side note: A mis-interpretation of intended song lyrics (or any terminology) compared with 'blackface' is not at all the same thing. Blackface and minstrelsy were originally performed with intent to oppress, insult, ridicule, and bring down black people. It wasn't done in mere "jest" with innocent intent... It didnt just become offensive over time, it was offensive from the start. It's intent was in-fact harmful at a time that it was "accepted" to be offensive. So for black people to be offended is completely justified as they are seeing that for how it was intended.

However the lyrics to "Baby It's Cold Outside" were never intended to be about statutory rape, nor spiking drinks, nor disrespecting a woman's wishes. It wasnt that it was 'acceptable' at the time nor was it the actual intent of the song. If someone might take it that way, they have every right to feel offended, at least until someone explains to them that it's not necessary to be. But for radio stations all over the US and Canada to ban it for that reason is totally ludicrous and unnecessary.

Last edited by bhlombardy; Thu, Dec 6th, 2018 at 06:22 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information