• 3 Post By momof3heathens
  • 4 Post By GoJays
  • 1 Post By FallenPixels
  • 1 Post By GoJays
  • 2 Post By Darth Penguin

Thread: Old threads

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I think that the owners and operators of SC should seriously take a look at archiving old threads. Say they haven't been posted in in a year or so, send them to the archive and then spammers aren't able to access them to post their links and advertisements. It's so annoying when there is a "new" thread in whatever forum only to be discovered that it's seven or eight years old, or more. Can you think about this? Please? I'm sure I'm not the only one exasperated by this.
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Lynn49, macw1960 and Darth Penguin like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

I tried moving them to expired but more than 20 or so at a time seems to break the forum and I honestly don't have the patience to move them in small batches for nothing
    macw1960 likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    162 (100%)

Yes, and coupon links that are clearly expired from years ago.
    Lynn49, GoJays and macw1960 like this.
    Zoombucks are back: Please consider using my link to sign up again: https://zoombucks.com/?ref=IIHO0L

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I'm sure someone with some programming knowhow, perhaps @dataiv , is able to devise some such program that will automatically move the threads to an archive file. Or to at least close the threads permanently so no one is able to post to them. Or recruit someone with patience to clean up the forum.
    Lynn49, Ciel, macw1960 and 1 others like this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Sorry for the delay, I thought dataiv might reply.
    There is a program that moves them, but somewhere between it, the database and server, something crashes when you use it. I mean, total crash, no forum showing, 404 errors etc.

I can set them to hidden, but Boo doesn't want that as broken links hurt google ratings and then they don't show current threads when people search. It is also hard to just say everything old is useless because some get a lot of views with people checking old threads for dates of stuff (as in there is usually a SDM redemption this coming weekend)
    Ciel likes this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Yeah, viewing is one thing, I'm not saying delete them entirely. But when newbies or spammers - most likely spammers - post to an eight year old thread just to get their post count up to be able to insert links, it gets annoying after awhile. Anyway, that's all I'm going to say about it. I understand what you're saying though. Thanks Pix.
    Ciel likes this.

Sith Lady and Cool Kid Darth Penguin's Avatar
    Trading Score
    20 (100%)

There were over two pages of necromanced threads as new posts when I signed in this morning.

Thanks to the mod who deleted them. @couponlady @FallenPixels @annedougherty
    Ciel and walkonby like this.

Short answer : no Long answer : NOOOOOOOOOOO!

Welcome to the Penguinocracy..One Penguin, One vote..I am The Penguin..I have the One Vote

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

More a question than a suggestion: Is it useful to start new "old" threads with all the resources, links, informations that were posted in the last years, but are unavailable now or lost forever? Or is most of it coming back some day? I think it would be a waste of time and space to start such a thread and confusing if it is coming back after some time lemurvet ru/ - ?

Thread Information