User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Trading Score
    9 (100%)

I had emailed links to some of the Coupon Queen videos to a friend. She commented how in the videos, alot of the food being purchased with coupons was pre-packaged, processed food, and that there are rarely coupons for things like produce. She then commented how it is impossible to save the amounts like those women do, unless you are living only on packaged food, and that we don't have "Extra Care Bucks" that can be deducted off your bill like they do in the States.

I replied that no, we don't, but most grocery stores participate in or have their own "loyalty program". Like Loblaws/NoFrills/RCSS etc have PC points and Metro has Air Miles.

I have gotten my entire grocery bill for free at Metro, by using coupons and Metro gift certificates that I get by redeeming my Air Miles. So, actually you can save like those coupon queens, and yes you can get free produce!

As an aside, a couple of months ago I also got a FPC for a Dole salad kit in the mail.

couponchick
    Trading Score
    172 (97%)

great find thanks!

Trading Score
    50 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecountess View Post
    I had emailed links to some of the Coupon Queen videos to a friend. She commented how in the videos, alot of the food being purchased with coupons was pre-packaged, processed food, and that there are rarely coupons for things like produce. She then commented how it is impossible to save the amounts like those women do, unless you are living only on packaged food, and that we don't have "Extra Care Bucks" that can be deducted off your bill like they do in the States.

I replied that no, we don't, but most grocery stores participate in or have their own "loyalty program". Like Loblaws/NoFrills/RCSS etc have PC points and Metro has Air Miles.

I have gotten my entire grocery bill for free at Metro, by using coupons and Metro gift certificates that I get by redeeming my Air Miles. So, actually you can save like those coupon queens, and yes you can get free produce!

As an aside, a couple of months ago I also got a FPC for a Dole salad kit in the mail.
    It is true. I have a very restricted diet which includes NO pre packaged products. Although I do spend more on groceries to get organic and all that. I save loads on other products such as shampoo, toothpaste , etc. So I spend less on other things and more on the diet & food I can eat.

smartmama
    Trading Score
    82 (100%)

Don't get me wrong, I love couponing but it does tend to become an addiction. Happened to go downstairs to our cold cellar and realized that we have enough dishwasher detergent for likely the next three years (and by the way, I have not bought any since mid last year). Nonetheless, I have high value coupons that would be great to use right now. Sure, I could trade them but everyone has the same ones.

All I am saying is we should be careful that we only buy what we really need. Remember, too, lots of these products expire so stockpiling should be done only with some attention to expiry dates.

Trading Score
    66 (100%)

I love this thread. These videos are great. Yes, I wish there was a Canadian one to put up but I have searched the web and cannot find one. Alot of the products we buy with coupons have a lot of prepackaged food - but I use coupons on stuff I have to buy so I can spend the real money on things like bread, eggs, fruit, veggies and meat. When I save up my Sobeys points or my SDM points I usually use them for items that I cannot find coupons on. When you use coupons you look at food differently.....you instantly calculate in your head whether something is a "Good Deal" or not which makes me a better consumer for buying the basics for scratch cooking. I know know how to stockup on chicken, what a decent price for potatoes is, never pay over $2 per lb for meat of any kind and figure out cost per serving on fish. There is nothing wrong with stockpiling and to each his own. I stockpile food. Others stockpile cleaning and bath products. Who cares as long as we can spend our hard earned money on other things like life. I watched all the videos tonight on this thread and each one they are only trying to do better for their families. Often I will find a coupon for higher value than the item and the rest goes to pay for my apples that day (this happens often at SuperWalmart or Superstore) as the cashier does not take the time to lower the coupon value. Anyone worried about their jobs or having someone newly unemployed in their household can use couponing for peace of mind. I know no matter how low my food budget goes now - I will be ok. In the past there were times when I had a very tiny food budget - I only wish I had couponing back then.

Added: Today I bought old fashioned oatmeal - Robin Hood with coupon - now if that isn't good for you I don't know what is!
    Last edited by Cheapnik; Mon, Apr 27th, 2009 at 10:14 PM. Reason: added bit about oatmeal
    2010: won $4050 in contests! 2011: won $2160 in contests! 2012: won $86 in contests! 2013: won $137 in contests!
    Earned $320 so far in amazon gift cards on Swagbucks.com !
    Check out Cheapniks blog: Living Rich On The Cheap

Have a Banana Daily Beast Master's Avatar
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricki911 View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp5QCv9_pNA

OMG! I love how she's so organized. I want one of those organizers.
    I watched this one, she is REALLY GOOD at it.
    Please vote daily for my ferret site.
    http://1award.co.uk/addvote.php?vote=3368

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheapnik View Post
    I love this thread. These videos are great. Yes, I wish there was a Canadian one to put up but I have searched the web and cannot find one. Alot of the products we buy with coupons have a lot of prepackaged food - but I use coupons on stuff I have to buy so I can spend the real money on things like bread, eggs, fruit, veggies and meat. When I save up my Sobeys points or my SDM points I usually use them for items that I cannot find coupons on. When you use coupons you look at food differently.....you instantly calculate in your head whether something is a "Good Deal" or not which makes me a better consumer for buying the basics for scratch cooking. I know know how to stockup on chicken, what a decent price for potatoes is, never pay over $2 per lb for meat of any kind and figure out cost per serving on fish. There is nothing wrong with stockpiling and to each his own. I stockpile food. Others stockpile cleaning and bath products. Who cares as long as we can spend our hard earned money on other things like life. I watched all the videos tonight on this thread and each one they are only trying to do better for their families. Often I will find a coupon for higher value than the item and the rest goes to pay for my apples that day (this happens often at SuperWalmart or Superstore) as the cashier does not take the time to lower the coupon value. Anyone worried about their jobs or having someone newly unemployed in their household can use couponing for peace of mind. I know no matter how low my food budget goes now - I will be ok. In the past there were times when I had a very tiny food budget - I only wish I had couponing back then.
    I have thought that often times too.... if only I had known about couponing during certain difficult times I have had in my life! The struggle would not have been as hard.

I also find it hard to remember what life was like before the internet! It was much harder to get coupons back then.... you either cut them out of Canadian magazines the odd time they would even come out, or you would use the tear pad coupons in stores and half the time they were for brands you didn't use. That was pretty much it. Now we have sites like save.ca, and forums like this AWESOME one where people are friendly and interesting. The time it would take to track down all these links for things all by yourself.... well, you couldn't do it.

So I am now going to take time for a corny, Hallmark moment and say thanks to everyone who participates here and posts strategies, ideas, and links for freebies and coupons!

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I just started to coupon shop less then a year ago and i find it fun and my way to reduce stress in my life. My hubby can not beleive the savings i get. now he looks for coupons when we go out. i as well take what i can and if i do not need it i donate it to our local food bank.
    [url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/savings/wBCu8Vw/]

loves healthy coupons! LilJazzDancer's Avatar
    Trading Score
    102 (100%)

<!-- / NuHit--><!-- message -->Hello everybody!

CNN just posted a new video, which shows a lady in the States saving 97% on her grocery bill.

Check it out: http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/liv...upon.lady.wjla

Now THAT is what I call inspiring!!!

Cheers,

LilJazzDancer
    "It is in the character of very few men to honor without envy a friend who has prospered."

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    92 (100%)

I hope someday, coupons will be scannable in canada like in that video.
    that would make coupon authenticity and entering so much easier.. especially with the tax/no tax issue.. etc etc
    with Wagjag(http://www.wagjag.com/?wid=b6d767d2f8ed5d21a44b0e5886680cb9), I've saved @ Umbra store, Windsor Arms Hotel (Afternoon Tea), Fairmont Royal York Hotel Library Bar, Wanda's Pie in the Sky, Hero Burgers, Menchies Frozen Yogurt, AND Curves Fitness! YOU CAN TOO!

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Okay, I know I'm the one who started this thread and posted the videos. But something just hit me.

If these Coupon Queens are doing this week after week, how come you hear cashiers in the videos saying they've never seen anything like it. Do they shop at all different stores all over the place every week? In different cities even? Is this why they aren't being hassled (like we get) when they use a huge stack of coupons?

I know I have never saved grandiose amounts like they have in one trip to one store (like $300.00 worth of groceries for .02) But I can make out pretty good over the course of a week, hitting a few stores and using a few at each store.

The most I have ever saved at one store is maybe $80.00, and that's with Airmiles gift certificates and coupons combined. And I rotate between the same bunch of stores, mostly.

Just an observation.

Anyone else notice this?

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

YES - scannable coupons!! Why aren't all the Canadian coupons like this - it would be so easy! It would help limit the problems with coupons, that would be so amazing!

I would imagine these coupon queens are few and far between - there are probably alot of people who use coupons moderately but probably not that many hard core couponers as you would imagine. Maybe that is why these ladies get noticed by the news media because they aren't that plentiful? I would think there are obviously alot more hard core couponers in the US than Canada just because of the population and also the availability of coupons. I am also a little surprised at the cashiers reactions. You would think with all the discounts and double couponing deals that it would be a regular daily occurence to have someone go wild with their coupons.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Or,

What I am thinking is maybe they don't actually save this much every single week like they say. Maybe, they do one good shopping trip a month? Which is still pretty good, mind you. But still. It's still different from implying it happens every week.

I am just surprised to see even a veteran like Susan Samtur get a surprised reaction. Is she not a regular at that store?

Trading Score
    52 (100%)

You would assume she is a regular? Maybe they had her come to a different city/state for the news story and she wasn't in her usual shopping area?
    I agree - they probably don't save like that every week - they store up all their FPC's like we do for one big run once a month.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Tuktu60 View Post
    You would assume she is a regular? Maybe they had her come to a different city/state for the news story and she wasn't in her usual shopping area?
    I agree - they probably don't save like that every week - they store up all their FPC's like we do for one big run once a month.
    That's what I'm thinking.

Now I don't feel so bad...

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread Information