User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Meal Planning

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn49 View Post
    Wow. I did a whole week's worth for out DD, including grocery list....I wonder if she still has it or kept the best and chucked the rest? I have a few of those recipes saved...would that help?

That would be awesome!!

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I saved the week one menu!!!
    Mind you...it's to their tastes, so you
    might want to vary it a bit....

Here ya go!!

WEEK 1 MENU

MONDAY

Mexicano Steak....grill steaks on bbq, then place on a plate. Cover with a few dollops of salsa, top with slice of provolone cheese and cover with foil while cooking steamed broccoli.

TUESDAY

Pesto Chicken.....Using 2 chicken breasts, place 1 chicken breast half on 16x12" sheet of heavy duty foil. Top each with 2 plum tomatoes sliced in ½" slices and 1/4 C frozen asparagus over chicken. In small bowl, combine 1/2C pesto with 1/4C mayonnaise. Divide this mixture over food on each sheet. Fold foil over chicken and seal edges, using double fold method.
    Cover and grill for 25-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.

You can also bake the packets in a preheated 450 degrees oven for 23-30 minutes or until done.
    Prepare vegetable and use with the sauce created in the foil packets.

WEDNESDAY

Beef Stroganoff...Brown 1lb stewing beef, then add 1 can cream of mushroom soup, 1 envelope onion soup mix. Serve over boiled noodles.

THURSDAY

Crispy Onion Chicken...coat 4 chicken breasts with honey-mustard and roll in crushed French’s Onions. Place on foil-lined baking sheet for 20-25min. Serve with

FRIDAY

Beef Dip Sandwiches....Into the crackpot: 1 2lb beef brisket, 1 envelope onion soup mix, 1 can condensed beef broth. Set on high until dinner. Remove from cooker, shred onto baguettes, and dip into broth. Serve with crisp carrot and celery sticks. (There will be enough for left-over sandwiches for Saturday)

WEEK 1 GROCERY LIST

2 grilling steaks
    1 jar salsa
    4 slices provolone cheese
    1 bunch broccoli
    2pkg of 4 chicken chicken breasts
    8 plum tomatoes
    frozen asparagus
    1 jar pesto
    1lb stewing beef
    1 can cream of mushroom soup
    1 box of 4 Lipton Onion Soup mix
    1 bag egg noodles
    4 chicken breasts
    honey-mustard
    1 can French’s Onions
    2lb beef brisket
    1can condensed beef broth
    buns
    bag of small carrots
    1 bunch celery

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks so much...that is great!

Trading Score
    17 (100%)

I don't do a meal plan, per se (since it's only me, well the critters get a bit too). But since I have good days & bad days, when I have a bit more energy I make a large batch of something & freeze it for the not so good days. I have a lovely collection of microwaveable containers that are just the right portion size for me. I also have a little grill (it's Hamilton Beach, similar to the Foreman Grill) that I use almost daily. In 15 minutes (or less), I can cook chicken, pork, beef or heat up microwaveable pizza. I also grill veggies on it. Have I mentioned I my grill?

Also, an easy as pie way to make yummy veggies. I put 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet. Once the oil is hot, I dump a bag of frozen veggies in (no need to thaw). I turn the heat to medium & cover. Depending on how frozen the veggies are, I might add a bit more water. In 15 minutes, I have stir-fried veggies, that I can divide up into portions, & add whatever seasonings I want (salt, pepper, soy sauce, teriyaki, etc). I find it keeps in my fridge for 3-4 days fine, so my veggie portion is done, just needs to be nuked for 3 minutes.

For a smile, see our vids: http://www.youtube.com/lilyquincy

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

When the holidays come, I get a bigger Turkey than necessary and cut it up into cubes and freeze in 2 cup portions. Great for Turkey Tetrazini, Ala King, Soups, Stir Fry...or any Casserole that calls for cubed Turkey or Chicken.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

double post by accident
    Last edited by sympatica; Mon, Jun 7th, 2010 at 01:14 PM.

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

I 2nd the slow cooker. I LOVE mine. We use it at least once a week if not more. I have several good slow cooker cook books (geez, how many double o in that sentence!) It honestly is the best investement (followed closely by the vaccuum sealer) you can ever make.

I am one of those that plan the weekly meals. Been doing it for years and year. I have a sheet of paper on the fridge (it's like a 7x7 grid) where I write what we are going to eat each night. When I've used all the rows on the sheet, I throw it out and start a new one. Every Friday or Saturday I look at the family schedule for teh coming week and plan our meals accordingly (like if I know we need to eat early because of some activity, I'll plan a slow cooker meal that day to save time). I don't plan our meals around the sales, but rather what we fancy/have eaten in the last week/what's in the freezer, ect... I look at the flyers as I am making my grocery list. I consider our meal plan to be flexible. At least once a week I forget to take the meat out, so I just substiute that day's meal with something that I don't need to take out or I can defrost. I save the more time consuming meals for the weekend. And I also schedule in take out days once and awhile so I don't feel we are missing out and it gives me a break. If I am sick and feeling lousy sometimes we will order in cause I don't have the energy to cook. What I have found most important in our weekly meal planning is flexibility. Think of it as a guide rather than a carved in stone menu.

I don't really plan our weekly meals to save money, but to avoid 10,000 trips to the grocery store (which I loathe and wastes sssooo much time) and to not have to think about it. I like not having to worry every night what the heck I am gonig to make. I've already made that decision. It has made my life much easier.
    Last edited by Insane; Mon, Jun 7th, 2010 at 03:40 PM.
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    86 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by sympatica View Post
    When the holidays come, I get a bigger Turkey than necessary and cut it up into cubes and freeze in 2 cup portions. Great for Turkey Tetrazini, Ala King, Soups, Stir Fry...or any Casserole that calls for cubed Turkey or Chicken.
    I don't wait for holidays, I regularly make turkey. One turkey does us easily 5 meals plus a few lunchs. I have a co-worker who will just cook a turkey one afternoon and cut it up for future use. I figure if I am going to the trouble we might as well have the fixings too!
    You just proved Signature Advertising works!

Earn FREE money just by searching! Ask me how to get a $5GC using my referral.
    Get $10 off $40 for new customers at well.ca using the code springhascome

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by baggypants View Post
    Do a search for sos cuisine..apparently, I can't put in the website addy!!

It is a great site...they have a list of menus (you can sign up for weekly emails) based on your preferences, sales in your neighbourhood or just search through their menu database.

baggypants
    oooh I love this, thanks!
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    119 (98%)

Quote Originally Posted by jojos_n_kelowna View Post
    I used to watch the FoodTV's show Fixing Dinner with Sandi Richard, she's a mom of 7! and a chef and helps people that have crazy schedules with their healthy meal planning menu. She's great, easy to prepare meals, items easily stocked in your fridge/pantry in case you can't get out to the store for fresh fruits or veggies. CHeck out her show or look her up online. http://www.foodtv.ca/content/enterta...y=Entertaining
    Me too! I have a couple of her cookbooks and even the husband uses them. Great instructions, recipes, shopping lists, and even a spot to rate the meals out of ten (which we do).

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    11 (100%)

I have 3 freezers and only 2 of us! So I have no problem bulk buying etc, I found though that I wasn't really using everything at my disposable. So I sort did meal planning in reverse, I go to the freezer and pull out five meats, fish, chicken, (used for main course) put them in the fridge freezer and say to self, ok, what are you going to do with these???

It sounds silly but has worked pretty darn good. I put a list on the fridge of what main course I plan for each night of the week and sides are (for me, on the fly) because its usually what I find on sale because I don't like canned food (unless its my own).
    I do keep cream of mushroom, celery and chicken soups on had for quick sauces.

So I guess you can say, what I have in the house determines what I'll be making. Cuts way down on the grocery shopping.
    There are the staples I can't do without, mushrooms, onions, celery, red pepper, potato

It helps having the list on the fridge, keeps you focused without overwhelming you ... keep it simple when you first start .. you will built it yourself from there when you are comfortable enough to move to a more complex listing

Forgot to say, I also do the cook once eat twice rule, and a marinate a lot to use cheaper cuts. So you do need to think about when and what you are going to have.
    Last edited by kekes; Thu, Jul 1st, 2010 at 04:11 PM.

Trading Score
    6 (100%)

I do a lot more planning when I know that money is going to be tight that month (although I should do it EVERY month!). This month is one of those times for us, so I went through the kitchen and looked at what we have. Then I put my thinking cap on and came up with some cheap meal ideas without having to do any major shopping. Some things we'll have this month are:

- bacon and tomato sandwiches (we're having that today actually)
    - meatloaf
    - curry glazed chicken
    - steak
    - pizza
    - salmon casserole
    - hamburgers and/or hot dogs
    - pasta dishes (fettuccine alfredo, spaghetti, etc)
    - stir fry

There are so many ideas out there, and I find that lots of recipes cater to people with limited time and money. Definitely go through the flyers as well. Sometimes I am browsing through one and see something on sale and then get a great meal idea right away! Ooh another tip I have is to plan a vegetarian meal once in a while. It's good for you and you save money by not having to purchase meat! Sometimes I have clean-out-the-fridge dinners when I dig out the forgotten vegetables and other scraps from the fridge and make a stir fry or other concoction out of them. It's fun to do and you get something different every time.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Slow cooker is the easiest way to go.

Canadian Genius
    Trading Score
    152 (100%)

I still use www.Rachaelray.com the most because I like her grocery lists, under 10.00 meals, and rollover meals (cook once, eat twice but the 2nd time is a different dish from the first night's meal)...I also look at Recipezaar and search the make and freeze meals, so I can cook lots on a weekend and and freeze ahead.I like doing that as much as using my crockpot.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information