User Tag List

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    manishacapur
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

i never had any prob with coupons at my local WM but last week at square one WM when i tried to use my $4 venus embrace razor coupon for the bonus pack of V.E valued at $10.. she said they dont accept coupons for bonus packs... i tried to explain her but she was so stubborn...
    Then after 2 days i went back n tried with other cashier and she accepted coupons happily.... strange na,....

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    39 (100%)

one cashier at my wal-mart (markville) told me they never accept coupons on travel size.

i explained how it says "ANY"
    she said travel size pictured

(it was for puffs to go)

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Airline_guy24 View Post
    Perhaps a re-read is in order, thank-you have a lovely day.
    While the WM policy may be confusing and there may be a lack of communication, and I really do see where that may happen if you say bring in a $2.00 off coupon and try to buy something on sale for $1.49. A cashier might not know what the policy is on something like that. If someone comes in and the coupon says buy any tide product and get $2.00 off that's exactly what it means. There's no hidden meaning there that you have to anylize the company policy front to back to figure it out. Although I don't dispute the lack of communication in most major retailers between management and staff though. Oh well.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post
    While the WM policy may be confusing and there may be a lack of communication, and I really do see where that may happen if you say bring in a $2.00 off coupon and try to buy something on sale for $1.49. A cashier might not know what the policy is on something like that. If someone comes in and the coupon says buy any tide product and get $2.00 off that's exactly what it means. There's no hidden meaning there that you have to anylize the company policy front to back to figure it out. Although I don't dispute the lack of communication in most major retailers between management and staff though. Oh well.

I totally 100% agree with you about the "any" issue. I guess i was just a little set off by another users comments regarding the cashier not being educated. When i see someone making fun of someones English i expect them to at least back it up with proper English themselves.

I also think a lot of us take it personal when a cashier asks for help or even refuses a coupon.. i would bet that 9 times out of 10 they are just terrified of making a mistake and getting in trouble. I try to think of the big picture for them, ie: this may be the only job they can get, they could have 4 kids to feed and have to work all the time to pay the bills..(who knows) they are never going to risk losing that.

i remember i was trying to use a printed coupon at WM before and the cashier told me that she couldnt accept it because they were getting pink slips for them.. i asked what that meant and she said it was the manufacturer sending them back with out payment. I could be wrong, but i can imagine how a wal-mart manager coaches his or her employee's (not pretty) I dont know that, just assuming.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

I totally 100% agree with you about the "any" issue. I guess i was just a little set off by another users comments regarding the cashier not being educated. When i see someone making fun of someones English i expect them to at least back it up with proper English themselves.

I also think a lot of us take it personal when a cashier asks for help or even refuses a coupon.. i would bet that 9 times out of 10 they are just terrified of making a mistake and getting in trouble. I try to think of the big picture for them, ie: this may be the only job they can get, they could have 4 kids to feed and have to work all the time to pay the bills..(who knows) they are never going to risk losing that.

i remember i was trying to use a printed coupon at WM before and the cashier told me that she couldnt accept it because they were getting pink slips for them.. i asked what that meant and she said it was the manufacturer sending them back with out payment. I could be wrong, but i can imagine how a wal-mart manager coaches his or her employee's (not pretty) I dont know that, just assuming.
    No, I do understand what you're saying.

Did you see this story a few weeks back. A hotel front desk clerk got a call saying they were calling from the alarm company. The caller said the alarm was about to go off and the only way to stop it was to break all the sprinkler heads and all the windows in the lobby. The clerk obliged thus causing $50,000 damage to the hotel. I work in a hotel and have never gotten a call like that, and hope I don't have a brain fart one day and break all the windows in the lobby cause some caller told me to.

Work at 11pm tonight and its way way past my bed time,lol.

Trading Score
    9 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cabmonk View Post

A hotel front desk clerk got a call saying they were calling from the alarm company. The caller said the alarm was about to go off and the only way to stop it was to break all the sprinkler heads and all the windows in the lobby. The clerk obliged thus causing $50,000 damage to the hotel. I work in a hotel and have never gotten a call like that, and hope I don't have a brain fart one day and break all the windows in the lobby cause some caller told me to
    OMG! That is insane that someone would actually fall for this!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    59 (100%)

umm, i hope you understand that it was just a comment made as a result of all the frustration of dealing with WM staff. i did not intent to offend you or your sister or other WM staff for their level of education. and by no means was i making fun of people that speak english as a second language.

the truth is, i've deal with cashiers, supervisors, and even one store manager regarding various coupon issues. i understand your point about them not wanting to get in trouble over accepting coupons when they are not applicable to the purchases, but the restrictions are clearly written on the coupons and it doesn't take a phd degree to figure out what they mean. again, i am generalizing, but an aweful lot of WM staff like to overthink themselves and what end up happening is that they all come up with their own interpretation of the store coupon policy.

i apologize for my "improper" english. but this forum is an informal setting and i do enough report writing and proof reading at work that i figure as long as you can understand what i wrote then i assume i got my point across.
    Last edited by daphne010180; Sat, Jul 18th, 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Trading Score
    28 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by thecountess View Post
    OMG! That is insane that someone would actually fall for this!
    I know, I have had prank calls but never anything like that. The pictures of it were crazy.

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daphne010180 View Post
    yes, wm staff don't seem to understand the defintion of "any". i ve had this problem with other coupons before. they told me "any" means "anything as pictured". not to be mean or anything but perhaps thats why they work at wm - cuz they never got proper english education.
    That's pretty ignorant. I thought this was supposed to be a friendly forum. I understand your problem, but patience is a virtue, it's probably more frustrating for them than it is for you.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    3 (100%)

Im one of the few young male cashiers at the WAL-MART Markville. I love the hate-on you guys have going on for us here on this site. lol

But honestly, we don't mind customers bringing in their coupons (or at least I don't). We're trained to double check and make sure all the coupons we accept are accurate. Just because we're scanning the fine print on your coupons like a hawk doesn't mean we're out to get you. We might get in trouble if we accept USA-only coupons, expired coupons, and believe me it happens. I often get customers bringing in coupons that expired months ago and give me the "I used it last time. The cashier accepted it" excuse.

But yea, bring on the coupons. I always ask my customers where they got their coupons because of how much money they save! And I remember letting the Gilette Fusion coupons go through when the deal was on. I guess I'm coupon-friendly.

And tips for making it easier for both of us:
    1) Present your coupons before or while the item is being scanned. When you present the coupons after everything is scanned, we have to dig through all the bags to find the corresponding items to the coupons.
    2) If your coupon says tax included, let us know. Sometimes we skim the fine print and miss it. Just point it out to us.
    3) The product has to be the EXACT item on the coupon. One time I had a lady argue with me that an ALCON Systane coupon could be used on ALCON Opti-Free just because it said ALCON on the coupon. She refused to read the fine-print and just because ALCON was on it, it was enough for her to demand to speak to a supervisor. -___-

As you can tell, I love being a cashier. I try to be as fast and efficient as possible =D
    Last edited by tootsieroll; Sun, Aug 9th, 2009 at 05:39 AM.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    84 (97%)

you should pm us on here and tell us which store your at so we know where to come with our coupons LOL

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    5 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by daphne010180 View Post
    yes, wm staff don't seem to understand the defintion of "any". i ve had this problem with other coupons before. they told me "any" means "anything as pictured". not to be mean or anything but perhaps thats why they work at wm - cuz they never got proper english education.

im sorry but thats just completely ignorant. cashiers are instructed by management whom are than instructed by their superiors. This is why a few of you had heard the same excuse/reason for being rejected. I understand its frustrating but please don't knock someone for having a job-especially in this recession where most are lucky to have any income at all!

Banned
    Trading Score
    93 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tootsieroll View Post
    Im one of the few young male cashiers at the WAL-MART Markville. I love the hate-on you guys have going on for us here on this site. lol

But honestly, we don't mind customers bringing in their coupons (or at least I don't). We're trained to double check and make sure all the coupons we accept are accurate. Just because we're scanning the fine print on your coupons like a hawk doesn't mean we're out to get you. We might get in trouble if we accept USA-only coupons, expired coupons, and believe me it happens. I often get customers bringing in coupons that expired months ago and give me the "I used it last time. The cashier accepted it" excuse.

But yea, bring on the coupons. I always ask my customers where they got their coupons because of how much money they save! And I remember letting the Gilette Fusion coupons go through when the deal was on. I guess I'm coupon-friendly.

And tips for making it easier for both of us:
    1) Present your coupons before or while the item is being scanned. When you present the coupons after everything is scanned, we have to dig through all the bags to find the corresponding items to the coupons.
    2) If your coupon says tax included, let us know. Sometimes we skim the fine print and miss it. Just point it out to us.
    3) The product has to be the EXACT item on the coupon. One time I had a lady argue with me that an ALCON Systane coupon could be used on ALCON Opti-Free just because it said ALCON on the coupon. She refused to read the fine-print and just because ALCON was on it, it was enough for her to demand to speak to a supervisor. -___-

As you can tell, I love being a cashier. I try to be as fast and efficient as possible =D
    Thanks for posting this, those steps seem to be common sense to me, but some people don't understand it for some reason.

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    21 (100%)

same happened with me

Trading Score
    203 (100%)

tootsieroll could you answer a question I have then? Are cashiers not supposed to Scan the barcode on the coupons. That's what the district manager for the west told me. He said that if they do that then the computer system will automatically take off the correct amount like if the GST, HST... are included.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information