User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Gas...Canadian Tire? Petro Canada? Shell?

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    It will also depend upon your car's engine needs--there was one German make car that family member said had to be fuelled up only on Shell's Super or else engine would knock. Pickup truck could get regular gas but again, gas had to come from Shell. So if there are brand considerations, you have to keep them in mind and also monitor gas prices in your area to fuel up when it seems prices are in sync with what you will buy.
    You don't have to buy Shell brand gas to prevent engine knock, it's just the grade...any premium grade of gas will do.

Trading Score
    65 (100%)

^^ that was what I was thinking - not the brand but the grade.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    36 (100%)

It's Costco for us unless we are on the road and aren't near one. But like the other poster said it is always 4-6 cents cheaper than everywhere else. I paid 129.9 yesterday and it was 138 everywhere else. I think if you get the Costco Amex you get 3% back on that purchase too but that's a big I THINK!

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Esso has an Esso Extra card or you can collect Aeroplan miles at Esso.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

I go to Costco whenever I can. It's always cheaper. Some days more than others.

It usually averages about $2.50 a week with a 50L fill up so $10 a month. That's at a 5c discount price.

I prefer instant savings, lol.
    Last edited by slayer_glade; Sun, Apr 15th, 2012 at 05:44 PM.

CaToonie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

We got to Costco or a local gas station (it's independently owned which is why I am blanking on the name) which almost always has better prices than the "name brand" ones.

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Husky is coming out with a promo card for money off your purchases or you can use it for free coffee or free car wash

CaLoonie
    Trading Score
    1 (100%)

Also with Esso you can get your points converted to sobeys points and right now they are giving 5x the points. This is in Ontario anyways! Its not much but an extra 5 bucks on my sobeys card every 2-3 weeks is ok with me!

Trading Score
    109 (100%)

We purchase all our gas at Co-Op. We get a rebate cheque every March which includes a .05 per litre gas rebate. Plus, at the pump, we also receive a coupon to use in the grocery store that is .03 per litre. So on average when we fill one of our vehicles, we get a $2.58 grocery coupons, and then more in March. We have done this for years and years.
    Natalka and wolfwoman like this.
    We all need a little sunshine every now and then

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

When I have to put gas in, I usually go to Pioneer. In my area, they are generally 1-2 cents cheaper than the other places, and their bonus bucks add up quick.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

I realize that premium gas is available at all chains but the family member is only keen on Shell. Will see if that changes when a Costco gasbar (aka cheaper gas by the litre) opens in the Hamilton area in the fall.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Side note, it's kind of cool reading all the names of gas stations that don't exist here lol.

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

Thank you all for your responses !

I gassed up at Canadian Tire for the first time today using a 7x coupon. I received 0.70$ in CT money which works out to a savings of approximately 1.66 cents per liter. I took not my usual route home in order to see that it was 2 cents/L cheaper at Costco.

Costco didn't occur to me as the one I usually shop at doesn't have a gar bar. Now I know to just take a different route home from work to gas up at another one that does. Anyone know if purchases count toward the % refund on the Costco membership? That would certainly be an added bonus.

While I don't mind collecting airmiles for my son where I can, the program itself doesn't appeal to me, especially with the recent changes. Using credit cards for extra points won't work for me either as I'm terribly forgetful and if I miss making payments in time, it would just negate any savings.

Thank you all once again for sharing where (and why) you shop for gas!
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Quote Originally Posted by Ciel View Post
    I realize that premium gas is available at all chains but the family member is only keen on Shell. Will see if that changes when a Costco gasbar (aka cheaper gas by the litre) opens in the Hamilton area in the fall.
    You are correct....also it is my understanding that Shell's octane levels on the different grades of gasoline are better...hence the recommendation that you use Shell. One of the reasons that Pioneer and Costco gasoline are a bit cheaper are because of slightly lower octane level.s

Trading Score
    124 (100%)

If anyone is unsure of which octane levels to use, consult your owner's manual. Higher octane doesn't necessarily mean it's better for your particular car and you may be paying extra for nothing. On the other hand, if you're using lower octane levels than recommended, you may run into engine problems over time. It's important to use the right one for your car.
    ~RRLF $0.75 Organic Meadow, $1 Almond Fresh~

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information