User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree126Likes

Thread: My office is not a break room

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Why do people think they can come into my office, SIT DOWN, and have a conversation? This happens many times a week. You didn't even ask if I was busy. You just came in and sat down and assumed I'd drop everything to talk to you. If I am clearly in the middle of something and tell them to wait, they sit and actually watch me finish typing.

The worst part is that when the first person sits down, then 3 other people come and suddenly my office is a break room! Then a supervisor will walk by and see the party in my office and I'm the one that looks bad, even though I'm trying to kick these people out so I can actually work.

I think I need to permanently shut my door but I don't want to look like the office grouch. But shutting the door doesn't do much because I'll have people knocking or waving at me through my window even though I'm obviously on the phone. I don't understand why this happens because I'm not a supervisor or anything.

I am a writer so when I get into a train of thought, I need to finish it off or I lose the piece of magic that just took me 15 minutes to come up with. I am tired of being interrupted and having to do this over and over.

Why do people think they can just waltz in? How do I stop this so I can actually get work done and leave on time for once?
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A
    Last edited by torontogal12; Tue, Jan 21st, 2014 at 11:00 AM.
    Decaf, Shwa Girl and momi like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

You just need to be direct and explain to the first person coming in that it's not a good time for you. You don't need to go into a lengthy explanation.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    aussie, Decaf, ticul and 1 others like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

If its possible can you turn your desk around so your back faces the door. Not sure if you have a window you can look out instead of staring at a wall... if it means getting your work done.. your alternative if you don't have a window.(if you turn your desk and chair)may be to put up a poster that reads if you see my back.. im busy.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Trading Score
    450 (100%)

Maybe something as simple as a "Do Not Disturb" sign
    Trade List /Wishlist: http://forum.smartcanucks.ca/382792-dreamcatcher1962s-trade-wish-lists-canada/#post5928904

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

I don't think I can be more direct than I already have been. "I am really busy right now, can we talk later?" doesn't seem to be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    You just need to be direct and explain to the first person coming in that it's not a good time for you. You don't need to go into a lengthy explanation.
    Lather, rinse, repeat.
    oscarandme and momi like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

The office is very small and the desk is so heavy it would require a moving team, unfortunately . But it is a good idea!
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsSunshine View Post
    If its possible can you turn your desk around so your back faces the door. Not sure if you have a window you can look out instead of staring at a wall... if it means getting your work done.. your alternative if you don't have a window.(if you turn your desk and chair)may be to put up a poster that reads if you see my back.. im busy.
    oscarandme and momi like this.

One Awesome Domestic Diva MrsSunshine's Avatar
    Trading Score
    88 (100%)

oh how about a sign that reads.. Quarantined. enter at your own risk..
    Mia001, aussie, ticul and 5 others like this.
    Be Strong
    Be True
    Be You.
    Simple as that!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by torontogal12 View Post
    The office is very small and the desk is so heavy it would require a moving team, unfortunately . But it is a good idea!
    Well, since you typically have a "party in your office" wait until the next time this happens and ask them to help you move it Then when they ask why, say that you feel you might be able to work better that way as you get too many distractions when facing the other way Maybe you can get help moving your desk and a clear point made all at the same time. Hopefully you can get this sorted out soon!
    SFARAZ, ticul, MillieH and 3 others like this.

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

a writer, huh! that doesn't surprise me! ...nor does it surprise me that your coworkers realize how awesome you are and want to hang out!

what about a polite sign on your door? "sorry, I'm soooo busy! If you need me, please email! " (don't forget the smiley face and nobody will think you're a grouch haha) after a while, maybe people will get the hint?

as far as visual distractions, i'd recommend this:
    Natalka, SFARAZ, walkonby and 11 others like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    61 (100%)

Argh, that sucks!

I have a related problem, in that people will come to ask me a question, and I'm on the phone. Instead of coming back later, they stand there looking at me while I'm trying to deal with my phone conversation and I feel like I need to tell the person on the phone that I'll contact them later to deal with their thing because this other person is standing there staring at me!

Senior Canuck
    Trading Score
    8 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Zonny View Post
    Argh, that sucks!

I have a related problem, in that people will come to ask me a question, and I'm on the phone. Instead of coming back later, they stand there looking at me while I'm trying to deal with my phone conversation and I feel like I need to tell the person on the phone that I'll contact them later to deal with their thing because this other person is standing there staring at me!
    That would be so annoying! I thought it was common courtesy to either come back later, or stand outside the door or a good distance away and busy yourself with something else while waiting. That's like when you go to Tim Horton's or somewhere similar and are deciding what you want, and the cashiers stare at you while you decide... always makes me feel pressured to hurry up and decide and I don't end up taking the time to really think about what I want/look at all of the options.

If you have a swivel chair, maybe try turning your side/back to the person while you finish up the phone conversation, if they aren't a superior who may see that as being disrespectful. I know it may seem rude regardless of who they are, but maybe if you make eye contact and smile at them when they first come over they won't see it that way

Smart Canuck
    Trading Score
    13 (100%)

Look on the bright side people must really like you! XD

Try the "I am sorry I am busy" route, look at the person's face once when you say it then AVOID eye contact, keep your eyes glue to the monitor until they left. Use a lot of "huh?, Oh! What!" eventually they'll lose interest and left.

If you said you're busy and still talk to them (however brief) they won't get the message. Re train them, say "we'll talk about it at lunch / break"

ALSO put boxes / bags/ file boxes / coat ect on the chair so no one can sit down.
    Last edited by Decaf; Tue, Jan 21st, 2014 at 03:01 PM.

Trading Score
    39 (100%)

Maybe mention the problem to the roving supervisor so that he/she can offer you some suggestions and can stop by and flush out the visitors on his/her rounds. Then, at least, the supervisor will understand that you're not encouraging the visits.

Otherwise, a big set of headphones might work, with or without music.
    r0c0upons, ticul, Big Pink and 3 others like this.

Mastermind
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

Next time why don't you leave and only come back when they are gone , that might stun them

Trading Score
    7 (100%)

Hey OP. You may not like my comment. Don't yell at me but,

I think they are paying you a compliment
    1. your office is inviting
    2. you are a nice coworker that they like to be around
    3. they feel comfortable around you
    4. you help to relieve their stress
    5. you are good company

Don't yell at me -- just think that you are a "positive" and they want to be around a "positive"
    filza, Zonny, coupon girl and 6 others like this.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information