User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Wal Mart : Horrible Produce Quality & Expensive - Fruits , Veggies etc.

no more door to door! :) walkonby's Avatar
    Trading Score
    24 (100%)

tjthemanto, personally I have PM my fruits and veggies at WM with np and actually RCSS where I have also PM for PC Plus points has surprisingly had worse quality than at WM. However as most people have said the produce everywhere seems just a tad " sad " for the last few weeks at least. This morning I was on my way to grab a great Tassimo deal at GT and I noticed celery was on for .97!! Lately they have been around $1.79 or higher in many stores, so I was going to grab a couple until I saw them .
    I laughed when I picked one whole bundle up in the centre, both ends fell limp on either side of my hand!! I bought a box of licorice allsorts instead! ( Lynn49 DON'T read that part o.k?? ) Oh well we will see some fresher produce arriving soon I hope.
    Lynn49, Ciel, coupon girl and 3 others like this.

babies teach us acceptance

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by Natalka View Post
    I just don't know why people would go to WM for produce or meat. Just don't get it.
    Because its one place ..one stop shopping. Saves time, gas etc.

Lot of people go there for something else , and decide to pick some groceries on the way. Almost no one goes there just for produce or meat.

Lot of people don't drive, so they don't really want to go to 2-3 places by public transit carrying bags with them in winter, so they prefer one stop shopping.
    Ciel, walkonby and PurpleBunny89 like this.

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    46 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by cinpow View Post
    i got some really bad grapes over the weekend at Wally, I had to throw out almost half of the bag. Most of them was dried up, I m guessing they were stored for too long before they hit the shelf. I price matched for $.97/lb, but only half were edible.
    I find the temperature inside WM produce areas to be too hot & dry for the veggies & produce..they seem all shrivelled up & dry.

At dedicated grocery stores, I find the store temparature to be slightly cooler & they seem to spray their produce with automatic timed water sprays for their brocolli, lettuce etc. Never really seen that at WM .
    Ciel likes this.

Trading Score
    173 (100%)

Quote Originally Posted by tjthemanto View Post
    I find the temperature inside WM produce areas to be too hot & dry for the veggies & produce..they seem all shrivelled up & dry.

At dedicated grocery stores, I find the store temparature to be slightly cooler & they seem to spray their produce with automatic timed water sprays for their brocolli, lettuce etc. Never really seen that at WM .
    My WM does have water on them and the employees are in top of sorting. They are often out of stock on basic items though.
    It really depends on the store, the one we used to shop at I would not buy produce

As far as the meat, most of it is Maple Leaf now anyway so no different than buying it elsewhere
    Ciel, walkonby and torontogal12 like this.
    Make an easy $20+ per month with Swagbucks - watch videos, search, play games & get paid!
    ~ ~ ~
    Save while shopping online with cashback from ebates
    Get cash rebates when you buy from amazon.ca, Old Navy and more - get paid by cheque or paypal!

Trading Score
    30 (100%)

I find buying at my local Farmers Market the best way to get great fresh produce. Not only is it good for my local economy but it is better for the environment.
    Natalka, Ciel and GoJays like this.
    Just call me Wolfie

Canadian Guru
    Trading Score
    159 (100%)

You are lucky to have a good Farmers market. The ones in the city here are hyper expensive. Much more than the grocery stores or Chinese stores. I always go to look but can't afford it. In the summer I saw a pint of red potatoes at the Farmers Market... for $8. A PINT!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwoman View Post
    I find buying at my local Farmers Market the best way to get great fresh produce. Not only is it good for my local economy but it is better for the environment.
    Ciel, GoJays, lecale and 1 others like this.
    Apply every possible promo code to your cart, at every store that you visit (and get points for cash back on top of that?). It's sweet and easy with HONEY.

Always use Ebates and get cash back at over 600 online stores! Use this link to get $5, FREE

Junior Canuck
    Trading Score
    16 (100%)

Tried to buy onions yesterday at RCSS as they were on sale. Only 5 bags left and all remaining had either been ripped open or had rotten onions or both. So definitely not just Walmart.

Trading Score
    12 (100%)

Walmart does have a spray system in the fresh herbs or salad greens refrigerated area. Rest of produce is out in open displays in the middle of the department.

I find that certain items like celery can taste vaguely chlorinated if purchased at WM or Food Basics.

I was looking at Fortino's PC frozen fruits in the freezer-no 4 berry blend but there were peaches, a 4 summer fruit blend, dark cherries and cranberries. Price was $3.99 so worth a look. Fortino's had about 1/3 of the reduced produce display filled with bananas again but some other items were small zucchini (1.49 for about 5-6 in a tray), 4pk of orange bell peppers (2.49), a tray of grapefruit, one tray of yellow pears (seldom see that!), some hothouse tomatoes, eggplants and grapes. Don't usually get a wide assortment on the rack>skews towards apples/bananas and some veg usually a couple of days away from spoiling.

Food Basics does currently have the best price on European chestnuts-$8.75/kg this season, if you like toasting some in your toaster oven for 20min and having a good protein treat! Fortino's price has been well over $9/kg for the same chestnuts.

*Forgot to mention-I saw two empty clementine crates in the cart corral's garbage container-I was returning a cart left in the parking hinterland to the corral so no driver's vehicle would risk a ding. Store has $3.99 price for Spanish clementines so either a car driver did not want the boxes or maybe a walking senior (some nearby retirement homes/townhouses) did not want the weight of the boxes?
    Last edited by Ciel; Sun, Dec 14th, 2014 at 02:06 PM.
    2021-Bring on the sunshine, sweets & online shopping.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information