User Tag List

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Midnightly
  • 1 Post By Natalka

Thread: Need advice on what $ amount to spend on wedding gift

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I could use some advice please, I have only been to one wedding years ago so am totally out of touch with what is the proper amount to spend on a shower gift and a wedding gift. The wedding is for my 32 yr old step niece, it is her second wedding (not sure if it makes any difference), we are not super close, we see them usually while visiting my brother approx twice a year. I am sure they would probably prefer cash, but how much would be proper. The wedding does not include a meal, it is in the evening and there will be appetizers and a pay per drink bar at the reception. All advice gratefully accepted
    This thread is currently associated with: N/A

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Not much. She's not that close to you and they are not offering a lot for you to attend the wedding. $25 is more than enough.

Trading Score
    0 (0%)

I would personally give 75

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trading Score
    3 (100%)

I agree, from $75 to $100...you're not paying for a dinner out, it's a wedding, and she's related to you. Whether or not you drink is of course your choice and shouldn't be factored into your cost for attending the wedding. Appetizers don't come cheap, lol...have a lovely time!!

Trading Score
    70 (100%)

i think it depends on how much you can afford... if you have the money to budget in $50-100 you know they would appreciate it... but if finding an extra $50 in your budget is a hit for you.. give them less...i don't think you should let the type of wedding (higher end fancy sit down dinner vrs appies and a cash bar) should dictate how much you give them to me that should be based on what you can comfortably afford and your relationship with the bride/groom don't feel guilty if you can only afford $30 in a nice card
    Natalka and francine1985 like this.
    When life hands you Edward Cullen...throw him back and demand Eric Northman....

The ONLY Diva of SC! saveadollardiva's Avatar
    Trading Score
    4 (100%)

Personally, I would just pay for my plate, since your not really that close. A plate now a days for a wedding is anywhere between $120.00-$150.00 a person If she is having it at a hall. If she is having it at a hall I would put in $120.00 for myself. But, then, again, put in what you can afford. If she is having it outside, and or, not in a hall, I would put in between $80.00-$100.00.

CaNewbie
    Trading Score
    0 (0%)

Thanks for all the advice, it's me, my hubby and my mom (who lives with me), so its the three of us going from this household. I was thinking 300.00 cash from the three of us for the wedding gift and for the shower which my mom and I will go together maybe 100.00 in a card from mom and I - does that sound like a decent gift? Like I said, I have no experience attending weddings and don't want to blunder and give to small a gift. I had heard read somewhere that if it was a fancy wedding and it costs the couple 150.00-200.00 a plate then we should at least cover the cost of the plate for each of us but with this wedding just serving appetizers I feel 300.00 would be ok - right? Who knew weddings could be so complicated lol

Trading Score
    29 (100%)

You don't give a gift by what type of wedding a couple is throwing and certainly not what it is 'a plate' - that's just not done.

You give from your heart - what you feel is appropriate for the relationship of you to the couple, and by your own circumstances.

What you are proposing for each is more than generous.
    strew likes this.

Thread Information